Why become a member? ×

Nickle vs Steel?

BASainty

From what I`ve read on reviews, and on here in general, nickel are warmer sounding, and cause less fret-damage.

Although I`ve been using steels for years, and never had to get any of my basses re-fretted due to excess wear caused by steels, so I wouldn`t jump to nickels just because of this.

I find stainless roundwounds are like cheese graters, where nickel ones have a softer feel. I've been playing flats lately though, so will make less of a difference. My flats were Roto's finished with something Roto call 'monel', some kind of nickel mix, but it feels bloody lovely. Maybe stainless give a more zingy tone, but I like things smooth.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1350719198' post='1842564']
i use strings direct's own brand (Legacy) nickels cos
a) theyre 8 quid a set
B) not as harsh (some say zingy) as steels
c) some say they're actually unbranded roto's
d) they sound fine and can be replaced regularly without breaking the bank.
[/quote]

That's cool man how long do they normally last you?

I moved from steel to nickels a good while ago, to get away from too much zing. I've tried a lot, best ones so far have been DR Nickel Low Riders, they settle in really nicely, and the set on my P are still great after more than a year. D'Addario Nickels are much cheaper and still good, but my current testers are La Bella Slappers (I don't slap) on my Dingwall, which are good so far (only a week in), but also not cheap.

Never had any skin issues with Nickels in years of use. I guess if you have an allergy there might be problems, but otherwise, no.

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1350689028' post='1842458']
The only steels I've had issue with fret wear is the rotosound's, no problem with prosteels or the dean markley steels. To me steels sound brighter and keep the brightness longer than nickels.
[/quote]

Why I despise Rotosounds. I have some hefty fret wear on both my '78 Fender Precisions which is why I use nickels on them,steelys on all my others.

I personally much prefer nickels. They feel softer than steels, without being as slippery as flats. And nickels sound warmer and a bit less "aggressive" than steels. IMO they sound new for longer as well (possibly becqause they're a bi less bright in the first place?)

I would highly recommend EB Slinkies - they feel and sound great, and are priced decently as well.

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1350721301' post='1842590']
That's cool man how long do they normally last you?
[/quote]
, i change em every three months or so when we're gigging once a week and rehersing once a week plus a few hours tooling about at home. I guess they last as long as you want them to (ie some people like thier stringers a bit duller) but i reckon every 3 months is about right for me (i also wipe em down after every sesh with Isoproanol - this deffo helps!)

I prefer steels over nickels, to my ears they have a fuller tone, whereas nickels seem slighty scooped. It's easy to eq out some highs if you find steels too bright, it's always easier to take frequencies out rather than try and boost them....

Feelwise, i've been using steels so long I don't have any problem with them feeling rough, but then my fingertip are pretty well calloused so I guess its just a personal thing...

I'll put my ten pennyworth in here -
It's "horses for courses" with strings - they all have different applications.
I do like tape wounds though - I have a set of Chromes on my Jazz bass for the oldies duo that I play in, but equally I've some Warwick steelies on G & L active for a rock trio I'm with - but the steels are maybe a bit too harsh!

Might try a set of the Lagacy strings out - got to be worth a go at the price - thanks for the info.

It's all about the sound for me. My favorite flats have both pure nickel wrap (JF344, the loudest, wettest sounding flat, and 640/1, the richest and deadest) and stainless (LaBella or Fender, classic dry stainless sound, plenty of ripping fret clack on glisses which I love, rather dead, love the way they distort). My favorite rounds are LaBella M45 (loudest, richest round, when I began playing them, they wouldn't give a hint what they were made of, but now they're listed as stainless, and that surprised me). I'm about to try various Circle K balanced 5-string sets, which only come in stainless roundwound. If the first set sounds great, I'll try other gauges. If not, I'll quit right there, 'cause it has to be all about the sound.

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1350713420' post='1842522']
Ahh ok cool thanks for the advice.

Has anyone tried the nickle with alloy 52 strings? They are meant to be more durable and because they have a more magnetic property are meant to give more of an attacking edge and stuff.

Has anyone used them?
[/quote]
I have used GHS Progressives in custom gauges 45-60-80-105 on my Rickenbacker 4002 since @1993. My body chemistry eats nickel, so for me nickel plated rounds go dead after one gig and stainless goes clunky after only a short time as well. The higher iron content keeps the strings from going dead, and the tone is between conventional nickel plated rounds (like GHS Boomers or D'Addario XL) and stainless (like Rotosound Swingbass). Since I don't use my 4002 on a regular basis (pun intended) any more (see my thread about my custom fanned fret P-style bass due to my old elbow, wrist and thumb injuries coming back to haunt me), I haven't changed the Progressives on my 4002 in so long that I truly cannot remember when. But it has been years.

As far as the tone of nickel plated rounds, I find the D'Addario XL's sound more "scooped" to me than the GHS Boomers.

The current strings I'm getting the most out of is a set of Fender 9050CL flats. They have switched me over. They growl when you want them to; they are mellow when you need them to; they are absolutely consistent string-to-string and up the neck; they last almost forever - I'm still gigging with the same set two years on; and they are great value-for-money pricewise.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1350914252' post='1844980']
I have used GHS Progressives in custom gauges 45-60-80-105 on my Rickenbacker 4002 since @1993. My body chemistry eats nickel, so for me nickel plated rounds go dead after one gig and stainless goes clunky after only a short time as well. The higher iron content keeps the strings from going dead, and the tone is between conventional nickel plated rounds (like GHS Boomers or D'Addario XL) and stainless (like Rotosound Swingbass).
[/quote]

I received my Legacy nickle wound bass strings today, strung a set to my BB 415 and so far I am very impressed, only cost about £9 from StringsDirect but they sound and feel like strings that cost much much more. They make my BB growl nicely with the tone turned down and nicely pingy with it cranked up. I guess the real test will be when I start gigging with them, see how long they last. I still might try out some nickle and iron strings see how they play.

There's quite a few companies doing nickel strings for less than £10, I've heard good things about the majority of them. Not so much on the Steel, you can't seem to find budget steel strings anywhere. I'm using Newtones these days as they are pretty good value (not in the under £10 league though) - especially when you can order custom sets :)

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1350997035' post='1845980']
There's quite a few companies doing nickel strings for less than £10, I've heard good things about the majority of them. Not so much on the Steel, you can't seem to find budget steel strings anywhere. I'm using Newtones these days as they are pretty good value (not in the under £10 league though) - especially when you can order custom sets :)
[/quote]

Ive heard the Newtone name bounced around a lot and they seem to be getting good reviews, how much are they? and do they do nickles?