Why become a member? ×

Level 42

W11ATO

Obviously I cannot slap like Mark, nowhere near. But I can sing and play drums really easily, and certainly more easily than when playing bass.

So I reckon Mark's ability on a drum kit might have something to do with not only his phenomenal slapping but also his ability to knock out a tune with his tonsils at the same time.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1350629318' post='1841341']
I'm trying to learn this (playing and singing at the same time) and it's proving very difficult.... I will crack it though

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSpP7ixw5No[/media]
[/quote]

His fingerstyle playing is at least as impressive as the slap stuff. I did find it funny how far back in the mix the guitar was when it came to his solo - not too often that the guitar is overshadowed by the bass that much!

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1350723039' post='1842612']
I really like a few of their songs not for the bass just the songs themselves. I can see why someone would take a dislike to him. At first glance he has a cockiness I think.
[/quote]

He certaily did back in he 80s! Its an Interesting idea that because a player has great ability he also has to be a "jesus" character. Perhaps I am alone in being able to like an artists work, but not want to "prop up a bar" with them! Another two that come to mind are 'Flea' and 'Tony Franklin'. Not my cup of tea I'm afraid. I like Adele, but I think the Skyfall theme is awful!

I am sorry if I have offended any fan clubs, I am not "trolling" or "spinning" or whatever else. Its just my opinion! I will gladly post a list of things that I like to allow those aggrieved souls to "get there own back"! :D :D

Edited by mentalextra

In interviews & docs etc. he proves to be a real nice guy and his playing is as good as all the hype, but like someone said above, it's the Level 42 thing I struggle with too. Whilst a handfull of thier tunes I do actually like, most of it I find triresome.

I think the guy should re-invent himself and do something different, go another direction, so long as we can hear the bass, maybe drown it out less than in Level 42?

[quote name='SoVeryTired' timestamp='1350723765' post='1842622']
His fingerstyle playing is at least as impressive as the slap stuff. I did find it funny how far back in the mix the guitar was when it came to his solo - not too often that the guitar is overshadowed by the bass that much!
[/quote]

Don't forget there is alot of preprogrammed synth bass on this track - on the verses especially. So when he is fingerstyling, it seems secondary to the synth line. Same on Running in the Family and LEssons in love.

No less impressive though.

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1350728157' post='1842703']
'mentalextra'
. I like Adele, but I think the Skyfall theme is awful!

MB1. B)
Adele on Bass??? or Mark King on Bass??? :unsure:

...Theres only one way to sort this out......................................FIGHT!

...Coat Collected!
[/quote]

Adele on bass, Mark King on vocals. Not that he's a better singer, but he probably won't drag the words out so it sounds like "Skyfooooaaaaal". :rolleyes:

[quote name='SoVeryTired' timestamp='1350730584' post='1842750']
Adele on bass, Mark King on vocals. Not that he's a better singer, but he probably won't drag the words out so it sounds like "Skyfooooaaaaal". :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I think that was supposed to be the attractive "hook" in the song. Seriously, as a bond theme, its shocking!

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1350728157' post='1842703']
MB1. B)
Adele on Bass??? or Mark King on Bass??? :unsure:

...Theres only one way to sort this out......................................FIGHT!

...Coat Collected!
[/quote]

Adele would kick the sh*t out of him as she's quite obviously a Wookie with a shaved face:

[IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/RhysP/chewie.jpg[/IMG]

Adele

[IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/RhysP/adele.jpg[/IMG]

Chewbacca

.. "it is a little insulting to read the often churned out description of Level 42 as "80's band Level 42.” They formed in 1980, but they are STILL out there, still at the top of their game and can command a sell out tour ending at the iconic Royal Albert Hall. Universal Records not only re-issuing their biggest selling album, but also quite possibly backing a new album of all new original material for release next year, I hear. That shows this outfit are far from past their sell by date". (Blues and Soul Magazine, 2012).

Hmm. Not quite sure about ALL of what I've read there.. a little OTT.. but the musicianship of Mark, Mike Lindup, Mark’s brother Nathan on guitar, drummer Pete Ray Biggin, sax player Sean Freeman (original guitarist Boon Gould as guest) is as good if not better than it's ever been.. still one of the best Live show's you'll hear this year.. go and see for yourself?

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1350588969' post='1841037']
He has a great talent. But, there's something about him that I dont like.
[/quote]

As I said in my original post, he has a great talent. Back in the day I had a mate who was really in Level42. He played me a lot of the early stuff from Mark King too. They made some [i]great pop songs [/i]too; and there is nothing wrong with that, we all have to pay bills! My local radio station played "running in the family" this morning and its still sounds clean and fresh after all these years, although I think thats down to the drummer (less is more) than the bassline, compared to the likes of "lessons in love" and "the chinese way" which have a great 'bass hook' without sounding like a 'showcase of talent'.

Just my opinion, please dont be offended! ;)

Edited by mentalextra

• 1 month later...

Met him a few times. Even had a telephone conversation with him on my way
home from a L42 gig in Wolverhampton a few years back. My brother(Who was at the stage door chatting to him)
phoned me and asked mark if he'd talk to me. He gladly obliged and thanked me for travelling down to see him
and asked me how I enjoyed his show. One of the nicest and genuine guys I have ever met.
Not a bad bass player too LOL. :lol: