Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass Problems - Now Sorted

Who's Who

Hi all

I'm not having much luck with my amps at the minute.
Had some issues with my Hartke LH1000 last week, but I think I've managed to sort that now.

Now my OTB 500 has gone.
I haven't used the head in a while and usually keep it at my office in it's padded bag. I brought it home on Saturday and hooked it up to a cab. I switched it on to standby and initially the light didn't come on.

The light then came on after about 5 seconds and then it started to make a weird frazzle noise, like a frying pan and then this thick white smoke started to come out of the back. It had a really strong burning smell too.
I quickly switched off the power and unplugged it.

I got this head in a trade earlier this year so I don't have any warranty.
Does this sound like something that could be fixed. Should I take it directly to Orange as they're not that far from me, or should I look at a local amp repair guy?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Who's Who

That sounds bad mate :(

I'd try your luck direct with Orange - they could only say no. Wouldn't mention the warranty - play dumb and see what occurs.

Touch wood (*touches head*) mines been OK and love the little sod - used it at an open air gig the weekend and it got a bit of rain on it but, still worked!

All the best in sorting it mate and keep us posted. ;)

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1350306128' post='1837013']
I note you said this is the second amp you've had problems with - were they similar issues? I'm wondering if it's not your cab or bass that is causing the problems with the amps?
[/quote]
No they're different sorts of issues and different cabs for each head.

I remember years ago watching a hired backline SWR rig lunch itself. Turned out the visiting bass player (wasn't his rig) was using some home made preamp device external to the guitar that appeared to be sending DC out of itself. Cue 8x10" drivers being pushed to excursion limit and being held there....and then the smoke started.....

That is one of more of the capacitors blowing its guts out. If you open it up you'll find one or more exploded, probably find a roll of mangled cardboard type stuff in there. Its happened to other ones, they either got a bad batch of caps, or cheaped out too far on them.

Edit: See here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/orange-terror-bass-500-exploded-917680/

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1350416561' post='1838632']
That is one of more of the capacitors blowing its guts out. If you open it up you'll find one or more exploded, probably find a roll of mangled cardboard type stuff in there. Its happened to other ones, they either got a bad batch of caps, or cheaped out too far on them.

Edit: See here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/orange-terror-bass-500-exploded-917680/
[/quote]
Is this fairly easy for an amp tech to repair?
Any idea how much it would cost?
Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Thought I'd report back with some good news.
I contacted Orange and they had my OTB collected via Courier last Monday. I then emailed they guy this Monday for an update and he replied stating my OTB was ready for collection and should be with me the next day. To my delight a Courier delivered my OTB yesterday as the guy promised.
I used the head last night and it was back to it's former glory.
I've gotta say I was really impressed with the customer service I received from Orange.
I didn't have to haggle with them once, just a few emails and my OTB was collected, fixed and delivered back to me in 8 days without even a mention of any money changing hands.

Can't argue with that.

But still not sure what the actual problem was, still, all's well that ends well :D

[quote name='Who's Who' timestamp='1351716524' post='1854654']
Hi Guys

I contacted Orange and they had my OTB collected via Courier last Monday. I then emailed they guy this Monday for an update and he replied stating my OTB was ready for collection and should be with me the next day. To my delight a Courier delivered my OTB yesterday as the guy promised.
I've gotta say I was really impressed with the customer service I received from Orange.
I didn't have to haggle with them once, just a few emails and my OTB was collected, fixed and delivered back to me in 8 days without even a mention of any money changing hands.

Can't argue with that.

But still not sure what the actual problem was, still, all's well that ends well :D
[/quote]

Orange service is excellent. I got free tubes on an out if warranty Dual Terror.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Who's Who' timestamp='1351716524' post='1854654']
Hi Guys

Can't argue with that.

[/quote]

good stuff to me that!

thick white smoke normally means a resistor. My guess is one of the cathode resistors blew.

• 1 year later...

I'm having some rather annoying issues with my terror bass at the minute, it seems like something inside has decided that it wants to go nuts when i play a D, all other notes are fine but if i play a D with any oomph the amp goes crazy, buzzing like mad. I guess something is resonating, maybe a loose component, with the vibrations from the cab setting it off.

It isn't an issue if i put the amp on a foam mat, which i have been doing for practice and gigs, but since it's under a year old it really should get looked at sooner or later.

I've been scouring the orange website for a promising email address to get the little bleeder some attention, what address did the folks in this thread use to get the great service they are reporting?

cheers!

Dave

Edited by yondergo

Mine did that when I got it, it's just the case which is folded sheet metal, so it can flap about a bit when hit with just the right frequency.

Take the main lid off, and the cover underneath that. On this inside cover, I stuck some foam draft excluder strips between the gaps where the sheet metal joins in the corners. No more buzzing after that. Fitted a silent fan too and now it's nice and quiet!

Edited by dannybuoy

Hi cheers for the reply, sorry, i didn't really explain myself properly - the amp casing itself isn't buzzing, it actually produces a horrendous buzzing electrical noise after I've played a D. Sometimes it goes off after a few seconds and sometimes I have to switch it off and on again.

Microphonic tubes perhaps? Take the main cover off (leave the internal one on!), remove the aluminium tube sleeves, and power it up. Give the tubes a small tap and see if it makes a sound (it shouldn't). If it does, replace the tube.

• 2 weeks later...