Why become a member? ×

There's always one....

fender73

For those that play in Soul/Motown covers bands, you might have come across something like this...

Punter - "Why didn't you play Mustang Sally?"
Me - "Because that song has become kryptonite to the working musician no thanks to The Commitments movie."
Punter - "Huh?"
Me - "Nevermind. Did you enjoy the other songs?"
Punter - "I didn't know any of them!"

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1350429090' post='1838924']
Most of the time when people request songs that we don't know I just say "yeah sure, we'll play it after the next one".

Truckstop
[/quote]

Playing with our RHCP tribute band someone asked for Pearl Jam. Well, as it turns out, we were a Pearl Jam tribute band for a short while, so we launched into Even Flow :P (only I did not have the fretless with me, but it works)

Back in the 80's/90's pop music was bad - at least for a guitar/bass/drums covers trio. I've lost count of the number of times we've been requested to do some obscure one-hit wonder that was built purely out of loops & samples and heavy on the keyboards. This usually cues us to look around the stage for the keyboards, scratcher (or whatever you call those people who can't play a record properly), backing singers, etc.

Also I always like the drunken guy that hovers near the stage. You can always tell he's dying to jump on the mic to join in on the chorus, and spend most of the gig watching him like a hawk.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1350328294' post='1837439']
All the time.
Fri night, they just got on with enjoying themselves, one pair, sorry, lady, in particular :gas: .
Saturday night, 3 pissed up twenty somethings. How many times do you have to say,
"No, we don't and won't do Oasis"!
[/quote]

Love the Oasis comment mate. Part of me sometimes think maybe we should do at least one oasis tune..then i remember i disliake them and that thought soon goes away. No offense to anyone who does like oasis, they just aren't my bag!

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1350474333' post='1839297']
Love the Oasis comment mate. Part of me sometimes think maybe we should do at least one oasis tune..then i remember i disliake them and that thought soon goes away. No offense to anyone who does like oasis, they just aren't my bag!
[/quote]

I was hanging with a band of other 40+ year olds near Edinburgh & the whole pub was baying for "Cigarettes & Alcohol"; neither of the two guitarists had heard of it, so I shouted "Do Bolan's "Get It On" - a light of recognition lit his face & off they went to the crowd's roar of approval ......... up until the opening lyrics when there were 100+ faces going "Huh?"

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1350475725' post='1839337']
I was hanging with a band of other 40+ year olds near Edinburgh & the whole pub was baying for "Cigarettes & Alcohol"; neither of the two guitarists had heard of it, so I shouted "Do Bolan's "Get It On" - a light of recognition lit his face & off they went to the crowd's roar of approval ......... up until the opening lyrics when there were 100+ faces going "Huh?"
[/quote]

Love it!

Love this thread it reminds me the bad but funny bits about doing gigs.

The only one that sticks out & is differant to what has gone before on this thread, we sat down during the break & a lad with a big smile ran onto the stage held the guitar up as if to ask for permission, uncharacteristally our guitarist nodded his ok
And the lad played a sang at high volume the body form jingle!!
the crowd goes wild & starts cheering for more & so he repeats it........after much more shouts to play something else he admits thats all he knows & legs it ......i suppose you had to be there but it was very funny.

Edited by fumps