Why become a member? ×

Is this quite a new feature?! (Sandberg Configurator)

Musicman20

This is the one i'm expecting to recieve this wednesday:
[attachment=121113:my_custom_sandberg2.jpg]

Only difference to mine us that i chosed "vintage tinted" on the neck but after playing with this program i don't know if i should have gone for blocks instead...
[attachment=121114:my_custom_sandberg1.jpg]

Looks like i share a similar taste to MM20 ;)

How do you choose vintage tinted?! Am I right in guessing you can order the maple board to look darker?

I'm still a bit unsure about blocks on the P style body. I think I'd be happy with just dots to be honest. If it was binding as well as blocks as well I'd probably go for it.

Another questions about options...the coil tap on the TM (Jazz), it isn't on the VM normally unless you order it. Does the switch also allow for series/parallel? I'd quite like that option.

Does anyone know the string spacing on the 5ers?

Cheers

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1350319297' post='1837246']
How do you choose vintage tinted?! Am I right in guessing you can order the maple board to look darker?

I'm still a bit unsure about blocks on the P style body. I think I'd be happy with just dots to be honest. If it was binding as well as blocks as well I'd probably go for it.

Another questions about options...the coil tap on the TM (Jazz), it isn't on the VM normally unless you order it. Does the switch also allow for series/parallel? I'd quite like that option.

Cheers
[/quote]

Yeah, I think the vintage tint is as you say, just a bit of a darker more golden sort of tint (if you know what I mean). I've got a copy of last years price list, and it mentions an "aged finish" under neck options.

AFAIK, none of the Sandberg basses feature series/parallel switching. They seem pretty reluctant to do anything that they don't normally offer, as far as preamps go. I asked if they could include the passive tone control on my new Ken Taylor 5, and got a flat "no" even though I know that Glockenklang make a 3-band with it on. That said, they will theoretically make anything you want, but I guess that you're talking about custom builds then, rather than "standard" basses.

The string spacing is adjustable, and I don't know the measurements on the Cali's, but I'd say it's fairly generous. Certainly feels more like a Yamaha TRB than a Ibanez Soundgear. I'd guess about 18 - 18.5mm

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1350335767' post='1837598']

Yeah, I think the vintage tint is as you say, just a bit of a darker more golden sort of tint (if you know what I mean). I've got a copy of last years price list, and it mentions an "aged finish" under neck options.

AFAIK, none of the Sandberg basses feature series/parallel switching. They seem pretty reluctant to do anything that they don't normally offer, as far as preamps go. I asked if they could include the passive tone control on my new Ken Taylor 5, and got a flat "no" even though I know that Glockenklang make a 3-band with it on. That said, they will theoretically make anything you want, but I guess that you're talking about custom builds then, rather than "standard" basses.

The string spacing is adjustable, and I don't know the measurements on the Cali's, but I'd say it's fairly generous. Certainly feels more like a Yamaha TRB than a Ibanez Soundgear. I'd guess about 18 - 18.5mm
[/quote]

Thanks.

Seems you can export your finished thing as a PDF too which would be useful for ordering one as in my experience Sandbergs are far cheaper if you get them from a German website rather than one based over here, but I had several issues with communication because of the language barrier when I attempted that one... being able to send them the spec you want like that would make it a lot easier.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1350319297' post='1837246']

Cheers
[/quote]

Yeah, i had to especialy order the vintage tinted neck (think Fender Classic 50's P neck, for example). My order was treated as a custom build but because i had almost the entire bass chosen to be stock the build took a lot less time.

I know that the switch for the coil tap is only available on the TM and not the VM, i'm guessing that's due to some phasing issue, on the VM you already have 2 humbuckers (P and MM pickups) working side by side so no coil tap would be needed. I really don't know if they'll offer the option of including the switch on the VM's but you only need to send them an e-mail or a facebook message, they're great guys and will get back to you under 24h.

Cheers

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1350378600' post='1837920']
Looks like VM 5s are popular here. Probably my favourite looking Sandberg too.
[/quote]

True...I think its the fact there aren't many good P basses with 5 srings and decent extras...Sandberg have hit quite a niche.

If I get one the first one will be a VM5.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1350378140' post='1837911']
I didn't order a tinted neck with my VT5... didn't realise I could..... hope it doesn't look too weird with the hardcore aging! :unsure:
[/quote]

Should be fine because they age the neck anyway.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1350388754' post='1838086']
Wish they'd had this configurator in June when I was trying to choose which to order:

[attachment=121216:my_custom_sandberg_cherry.jpg]

[attachment=121217:my_custom_sandberg_white.jpg]
[/quote]

Now you only have one option left, buy the other one aswell!!! :P

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1350379722' post='1837945']

True...I think its the fact there aren't many good P basses with 5 srings and decent extras...Sandberg have hit quite a niche.

If I get one the first one will be a VM5.
[/quote]

That's definitely what I'm looking for. Alternatives I'm considering right now include Clover, a Hotwire Prezzman, or a modified Lakland 55-02.