Why become a member? ×

Please have a listen to my bands latest Track!

Lord Sausage

Hi, Please could you listen to my bands new track, it's call Tortured Soul. Could you please give me some opinions on the Production and the Performance. I'm not 100% happy, though my band are. We recorded it at a slightly higher tempo than we play it at. So i think it makes the bassline a sound little rushed. There are a few production things too. Just let us know what you think please.

[url="http://soundcloud.com/asedya/tortured-soul"]http://soundcloud.co...a/tortured-soul[/url]

Edited by Lord Sausage

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds good to me, Saus'.

Bassline certainly doesn't sound rushed. You're probably more conscious of it being played faster, but coming to it cold it sounds perfectly well suited to the track (and nicely high in the mix too!).

The production itself sounds fine thru my cans. Nice wide mix, very crisp and clear. The drums are perhaps a little low and the vocal a wee bit too loud. But I'd need to hear it through monitors to be honest…

I'd certainly be happy with it. But that's me :)

Nice track, I like it.

I'm no pro but sounds to me like your bass is getting a little lost with/in the kick-drum in parts. If it were me I'd be wanting to cut through a bit more and the growl to be heard a bit more.
But nice sound overall. I'd be happy coming away with a tune like that :)

Edit: Listening again, it was maybe only the chorus and maybe just the 5 stringer?

Edited by Highfox

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1349438438' post='1826294']...Just let us know what you think please...[/quote]
Good evening, Lord Sausage (or may I call you Lord..?)...

Allay your fears, nothing wrong with that; certainly not too 'speedy'. The bass is fine; no 'rushing' apparent. Whilst it's not the sort of number I'd be buying (my tastes are attrocious, so be flattered by that...), it's got a nice 'thick' production, and lays easy on the ears. Well performed (yes, even the double-kicking in the bridge...), well-fitting bass line(s), and enough guitars to not be able to distinguish any one in particular. Very 'pro'-sounding voice doubling (trebling..? more..?). Overall, if I was playing or mixing that, I would be happy to call it a day and turn the lights out, job done.
Well done, Lord and band, and whomsoever tracked/mixed. Good work. Thanks for sharing.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1350233219' post='1836074']
Sounds good to me, Saus'.

Bassline certainly doesn't sound rushed. You're probably more conscious of it being played faster, but coming to it cold it sounds perfectly well suited to the track (and nicely high in the mix too!).

The production itself sounds fine thru my cans. Nice wide mix, very crisp and clear. The drums are perhaps a little low and the vocal a wee bit too loud. But I'd need to hear it through monitors to be honest…

I'd certainly be happy with it. But that's me :)
[/quote]
Thanks for your comment. You're probably right about me being concious of it being faster.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1350235353' post='1836112']
Nice track, I like it.

I'm no pro but sounds to me like your bass is getting a little lost with/in the kick-drum in parts. If it were me I'd be wanting to cut through a bit more and the growl to be heard a bit more.
But nice sound overall. I'd be happy coming away with a tune like that :)

Edit: Listening again, it was maybe only the chorus and maybe just the 5 stringer?
[/quote]
[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1350238312' post='1836181']
Good evening, Lord Sausage (or may I call you Lord..?)...

Allay your fears, nothing wrong with that; certainly not too 'speedy'. The bass is fine; no 'rushing' apparent. Whilst it's not the sort of number I'd be buying (my tastes are attrocious, so be flattered by that...), it's got a nice 'thick' production, and lays easy on the ears. Well performed (yes, even the double-kicking in the bridge...), well-fitting bass line(s), and enough guitars to not be able to distinguish any one in particular. Very 'pro'-sounding voice doubling (trebling..? more..?). Overall, if I was playing or mixing that, I would be happy to call it a day and turn the lights out, job done.
Well done, Lord and band, and whomsoever tracked/mixed. Good work. Thanks for sharing.
[/quote]
Cheers, to be fair i always think the drummer plays a little to much. He's got that early bonham bass drum influence tho a la Good times Bad times. To be honest it's the least to my taste within our own tracks. I always get worried that we do a bit too much, too many gtrs, too many vocals. So perhaps that's my issue. Thanks a lot for comments. It's taken on board

It's a good track. However, I think it is a bit polite, lacking punch, not enough power. I normally expect music like this to have a glossy rich American type of production as I think that's the primary market. If I hear music like this I want it to energise me, and I'm afraid this doesn't do that for me. I'd want the vocal recording to be more layered and posh sounding as they feel a little distant from the band. The kit and bass are a little lost, especially in the verses. The choruses are nicely produced, but again, I want to hear much more punch and a some 'loudness'. From an arrangement POV, I think you want a few little sweets in there, just to jive things up a bit and stop the verses from sounding too similar.

It's good though, very good, just lacking production polish.

Sorry if this sounds a bit too honest mate.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1350413050' post='1838539']
It's a good track. However, I think it is a bit polite, lacking punch, not enough power. I normally expect music like this to have a glossy rich American type of production as I think that's the primary market. If I hear music like this I want it to energise me, and I'm afraid this doesn't do that for me. I'd want the vocal recording to be more layered and posh sounding as they feel a little distant from the band. The kit and bass are a little lost, especially in the verses. The choruses are nicely produced, but again, I want to hear much more punch and a some 'loudness'. From an arrangement POV, I think you want a few little sweets in there, just to jive things up a bit and stop the verses from sounding too similar.

It's good though, very good, just lacking production polish.

Sorry if this sounds a bit too honest mate.
[/quote]
[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1350414813' post='1838591']
I'm with silddx on this. Everything's there, just needs a bit more oomph :) .
[/quote]
Yeah i can dig it! Like i said it's my least favourite of our own but it was the drummer and singers favourite. I really struggled to get a line for it that i was happy with because of it. For my part i developed the bass lines as the verses progressed to make it more interesting, but we could have done a little more with the arrangement. Thansk for comments, I have no problem with honesty if its valid. You can check out the other tracks at the same soundcloud.

[url="http://soundcloud.com/search?q%5Bfulltext%5D=asedya"]http://soundcloud.co...ltext%5D=asedya[/url]

Edited by Lord Sausage