Why become a member? ×

New Sadowsky NYC 5, what colour? PICS NOW IN. :)

phsycoandy

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1349445117' post='1826444']
What was Fred's favourite colour? As you're naming the bass after your dad, why not go a little further with the tribute?
[/quote]That's a good thought, but I really have no idea, it's really not what a son talks to his father about or vica versa! :D

Edited by phsycoandy

It's all very personal. I don't like basses with scratchplates so I went for a standard NYC 5. I also prefer the slightly smaller body of the standard, being an NYC it's also chambered so much lighter than a Metro, mine weighs less than 8 1/2lbs.

My bass # 4841 (Apologies for the crap photo) is transparent black over quilted maple. I chose an ebony fingerboard as, for this jazz style bass it has the tonal characteristics I was looking for*. I went with no face dots and chrome hardware. I later ordered a set of black hardware, but having seen it in the metal, feel the chrome finish looks classier.

So it's all very subjective, both in looks and in the case of fingerboards, tone. My wife recently bought me a Dingwall Z2 as a wedding present, it has the dual density ash body with an ash top and a maple neck/fingerboard. Combine that with the position and series/parallel wiring of the pickups and it sounds totally different to my Sadowsky, far more "modern" and punchy compared to the still punchy, but smoother, Sadowsky. What type of music are you playing? Jazz? Rock?

So, I'd say the looks are entirely subjective, look through the "previously sold" section of the Sadowsky website for ideas.

However the models are physically different, the Vintage models are "full size" so are heavier than the standard models and have a scratchplates. The Ultra Vintage models have a smaller 9" radius fingerboard, closer to a Fender, whereas the standard has a flatter 12" radius.

The fingerboard wood will have an influence on the instrument's tone, it's NOT just an aesthetic choice.

So, which do you prefer? flatter or more radiused fingerboards, scratchplates or no scratchplates, full size or slightly undersize, what tone are you looking for, brighter or smoother?

They are expensive instruments, worth every penny in my opinion, but have a clear idea of what you want the bass to sound and feel like as well as look like.

Good luck!

Kev

[quote name='phsycoandy' timestamp='1349453547' post='1826594']
That's a good thought, but I really have no idea, it's really not what a son talks to his father about or vica versa! :D
[/quote]Hmm good point, I have no idea about what my old man's favourite colour was.

[quote name='Busterrabbit' timestamp='1349457582' post='1826655']
It's all very personal. I don't like basses with scratchplates so I went for a standard NYC 5. I also prefer the slightly smaller body of the standard, being an NYC it's also chambered so much lighter than a Metro, mine weighs less than 8 1/2lbs.

My bass # 4841 (Apologies for the crap photo) is transparent black over quilted maple. I chose an ebony fingerboard as, for this jazz style bass it has the tonal characteristics I was looking for*. I went with no face dots and chrome hardware. I later ordered a set of black hardware, but having seen it in the metal, feel the chrome finish looks classier.

So it's all very subjective, both in looks and in the case of fingerboards, tone. My wife recently bought me a Dingwall Z2 as a wedding present, it has the dual density ash body with an ash top and a maple neck/fingerboard. Combine that with the position and series/parallel wiring of the pickups and it sounds totally different to my Sadowsky, far more "modern" and punchy compared to the still punchy, but smoother, Sadowsky. What type of music are you playing? Jazz? Rock?

So, I'd say the looks are entirely subjective, look through the "previously sold" section of the Sadowsky website for ideas.

However the models are physically different, the Vintage models are "full size" so are heavier than the standard models and have a scratchplates. The Ultra Vintage models have a smaller 9" radius fingerboard, closer to a Fender, whereas the standard has a flatter 12" radius.

The fingerboard wood will have an influence on the instrument's tone, it's NOT just an aesthetic choice.

So, which do you prefer? flatter or more radiused fingerboards, scratchplates or no scratchplates, full size or slightly undersize, what tone are you looking for, brighter or smoother?

They are expensive instruments, worth every penny in my opinion, but have a clear idea of what you want the bass to sound and feel like as well as look like.

Good luck!

Kev
[/quote]Cheers buddy some good points. Personally I love scratch plates, but all subjective and personal taste. I'm wanting a traditional looking jazz with the full side body so you're saying go for the vintage, what is the difference between Vintage and UV?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1349435576' post='1826225']
I've never understood why a company would offer one but not the other?! It needs both blocks and binding.
[/quote]

I agree... my next bass build will have both.
If you are spending that sort of money, I'd spend the extra..and it is was too expensive, I'd look elsewhere

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1349459419' post='1826684']
I agree... my next bass build will have both.
If you are spending that sort of money, I'd spend the extra..and it is was too expensive, I'd look elsewhere
[/quote]

It might just be a tactic by Sadowsky to give people a reason to buy a Metro. Not sure it entirely works though. I'm not a binding fan (apart from on SGs and Les Pauls) though so its never been a big issue for me.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1349906070' post='1832225']
Third vote for Shoreline here. Headstock has to match. White guard.
[/quote]Thought a lot about shoreline, just couldn't see my Dad as a metallic sort of guy, thanks any way, it's been very difficult.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1361924379' post='1993304']
You jammy git! :) Off to NYC in a month's time, will definitely be swinging by to see the new Queens factory. I'm sure you'll be delighted with the end product matey.
[/quote]You must go, i went when they were in Jay Street, and got left to play with the toys in the showroom for as long as I liked. Was great, enjoy. Theres a thread somewhere http://basschat.co.uk/topic/64998-sadowsky-hq-visit-nyc/page__p__1144896__hl__sadowsky%20visit__fromsearch__1#entry1144896 with some pics

• 1 month later...

Ah yes, I know the one, suggested to Roger she might look better as a 7 string with just a piezo instead of any pickups and some Ibanez-style tuners on, those hipshots weren't doing it for me. Oh and it's got a perspex body on it now too... :lol:

Haha, didn't see it, but I'm sure you're in for a treat when it arrives! What a lovely bunch of guys they are.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1367005659' post='2060281']
Ah yes, I know the one, suggested to Roger she might look better as a 7 string with just a piezo instead of any pickups and some Ibanez-style tuners on, those hipshots weren't doing it for me. Oh and it's got a perspex body on it now too... :lol:

Haha, didn't see it, but I'm sure you're in for a treat when it arrives! What a lovely bunch of guys they are.
[/quote]You had me going there for a moment when I first read it! you nasty person you :) !