Why become a member? ×

Gibson RD Artist refresh.

Shockwave

Hey guys.

A while back I bought a Gibson RD Artist. Lovely bass, but unlike the description said, the frets were really worn down and there was some little bits of wear on the fretboard (Much like my grabber had before I sorted that out! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/156133-refreshing-a-gibson-grabber-finished/page__view__findpost__p__1501157__hl__grabber__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url])

Anyway. I took it to the Gallery in Camden, Its been refretted with Stainless steel frets, the fingerboard has been lightly sanded and refinished, Hipshot Supertone bridge fitted, Dunlop Straplocks and a nice set of extra long scale elixirs.

I should be picking her up sometime next week! Pics on arrival!

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1349301306' post='1824603']
I'd love an[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828] RD Artist, really cool looking bass, and I really wanna hear how the Moog stuff sounds.[/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Looking fwd to pics![/font][/color]
[/quote]

[url="http://www.ifb.co.uk/~matthew/mp3/RD%20soundclips/"]http://www.ifb.co.uk...D%20soundclips/[/url]

That's all the extremes, but it does everything inbetween. Remember that having the compression/expansion and bright mode simultaneously is only available on post late '79 models with the two mini toggle switches in place of the single three way Moog switch.

Edited by neepheid

Funnily enough, I watched that vid a fair bit while waiting for my RD to arrive ;)

It would be interesting to find out what settings and what other effects are in use in this particular example, I can't really tell anything from the vid.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1349341769' post='1824845']
Funnily enough, I watched that vid a fair bit while waiting for my RD to arrive ;)

It would be interesting to find out what settings and what other effects are in use in this particular example, I can't really tell anything from the vid.
[/quote]

Pretty sure he uses an old Big box Rat pedal with LM308 chip. Which is why I have been looking for one for ages!

Amps: 2 x Ampeg 200T
Speakers: 2 x Eminence Legend 15”
Basses: 1978 Gibson RD Artist, Custom First Act Delgada
Pedals: Bluebeard Fuzz Box, Line 6 MS-1, Boss GE-7, Boss TU-3, Boss NS-2, Vintage Rat, Digitech Digiverb
Strings: GHS Bass Boomers
Picks: Dunlop Nylon 1mm

Solid state Amps!

Well here she is!

Shes been brought back to an excellent condition. The Hipshot really adds to the tone of the instrument and adjustability. The frets are PERFECT, stainless steel.

All work done courtesy of Martin and Co' at the gallery, though I dont think he likes working with stainless steel that much! (Apparantly it was the first time it was ever requested!)

The bass when it was Andy Baxters was £2295, and I have spent alot more on top of that believe me!

Awesome, in the late 70s I wanted one of these, however a new Fender P was way cheaper (and affordable as a student lol). It is for me one of the greatest shaped basses ever. Can I ask the burning question before I think about building my own replica. What is the balance like, any neck diving?

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1349905011' post='1832208']
Awesome, in the late 70s I wanted one of these, however a new Fender P was way cheaper (and affordable as a student lol). It is for me one of the greatest shaped basses ever. Can I ask the burning question before I think about building my own replica. What is the balance like, any neck diving?
[/quote]

Yup there is neck dive, however I won a really nice strap in the BC raffle which negates much of the effect! I dont have to hold it up on purpose anymore!