Why become a member? ×

First winter with a carved bass... Advice?

thisnameistaken

I've heard horror stories of basses cracking when the humidity drops in winter, so now that I've got a carved bass I'm a bit apprehensive about the long nights drawing in.

Am I right to be concerned or is winter not normally a big problem for basses? My flat is pretty difficult to keep warm due to its heritage-listed windows letting the winds blow in. Should I come up with plans to stop my bass getting damaged?

Hmmm, hadn't occurred to me and i am in a similar boat. Maybe keep the bass in its padded case so it has its own micro-climate and is protected from the direct effect of chilly drafts? That said, the fact there are a ton of 100+ year old basses around does suggest that they are pretty hardy.

It'll be the same this year as all the preceding ones. The German Blonde (laminated) will stay in its cupboard in the garage. That will go a way towards insulating it from changes in temp and humidity - and it is a ply. The others will stay upstairs in a room that doesn't have a rad and with the curtains drawn. And that's it.

If your bass has to share a room with a rad I'd suggest getting a humidifier or I've heard that a bowl of water placed in the room will mitigate the drying out effect of the central heating - which is your bass's biggest enemy. And as has already been mentioned, avoid any extreme changes.

I've only ever had one disaster - and that was a biggie - when the first bass I had, a ply, was kept in a storeroom at a club I played at. Trouble was, the club was by the side of a lake and the mists used to come in every morning. I turned up one evening and the bass was literally a kit of parts, all the glue had gone. I repaired it with resin glue (ouch) and it never sounded any good afterwards. Thing is, I can't remember what I did with the soundpost - perhaps there wasn't one after my repair. Ah, the ignorance of the young!

I do use a dampit for mine, and use it as soon as the central heating starts being needed (which reminds me, I need to dig it out now!). Careful not to use it when not needed though, as you don't want mould in your bass! The bowl of water on the radiator should work just as well (not an option in our house, as the kids'd most likely knock it off!).

Kev you seem to be worrying about draughts, they generally carry a bit of moisture which is fine for the bass. It's dry heat that is the real enemy of the bass because it has a shrinking effect which can open joints and produce cracks.

I once did a gig in a house where the guy had a really stunning 18th century bass, he kept it next to a radiator...!!! when I arrived at the gig he was really keen to show his bass to a 'real' bass player, I immediately mentioned the potential harm the radiator could do. Him being a wealthy, brusque businessman he brushed my assertions aside and assured me that the bass in it's 200+ year life had done all the drying it was ever going to do... on closer inspection there were some massive cracks in the ribs of the lower bout. I bollocked him for his arrogance and told him to get it away from the radiator as he had a duty as it's keeper to store it properly... he still declined, we didn't see eye to eye over it.
Needless to say I didn't enjoy that encounter one bit! And I dare say neither did he.. some upstart bass player, in his house, telling him what to do with his bass.... cracks, schmacks!

Edited by jakenewmanbass

I keep mine in a small unheated box room off the living room, with a digital hydrometer next to it to keep an eye on the humidity. I also put a couple of takeaway containers full of water on top of the radiator in the living room to stop the air getting too dry . The worst damage I've had so far was a couple of sections of seam on the back popping during the ridiculous winter we had a couple of years ago, and that's a cheap repair. I've heard some horror stories of Dampit type humidifiers dripping water inside the bass and causing damage, so I avoid them.