Why become a member? ×

DB or EUB for me as a first timer?

philparker

I really am at loggerheads trying to decide - my head says EUB: my heart says DB.

I’m a first timer about to make the crossover to the upright side and I’m very comfortable and excited about that decision, which has been simmering in the background for a long time…and now is the right time to execute it. I may well eventually go for both, but what should I start off with?

I’ve enjoyed reading the recent threads from new converts with “[i]Blimey it’s big[/i]”; “[i]So I want to start playing Double Bass[/i]” and “[i]Finally on board[/i]” and I’ve gained some great tips from those threads. I fully intend to take some lessons to start me on the right tracks and I’m used to studying music with disciplined practice over many, many years.
I only gig occasionally, when I visit family and friends in the North West every couple of months or so, but I’m never short of gigs with a couple of different line-ups at open-mic nights etc. and can often do two or three gigs in a weekend. Because of the travel and travel arrangements involved my head tells me to get a EUB. My shift work and occasional travel dissuades me from being a regular band member or playing more often in my home area.

I would love a nice solid wood intermediate standard ¾ DB (who wouldn’t?) both to play and display when not in use. I could learn to play it progressively with scales, exercises, and correct technique without distraction from learning or transposing my part for a gigging song and become more established and competent before either taking it to a gig or deciding to by an additional EUB for convenience to take to a gig. There are many other possibilities, including getting a worn, but well set-up DB (I’m sorted for amplification), but I’m worried I might want to upgrade in 12 months time if I do that.

What would you do and why?

Get the one you like the sound of. EUBs don't sound like double basses so if you want the sound of a double bass, buy a double bass.

Yes they are impractical to transport and store and difficult to amplify and to care for and all that nonsense, but if you've decided you want one there's no substitute really. I've ended up with two!

Oh and: The main reason I bought the first one was to have an acoustic bass instrument that could keep up - acoustically - with a dreadnought guitar or two. If you want to go play unamplified with other acoustic instruments then an EUB won't do.

Edited by thisnameistaken

I agree with thisnameistaken. EUBs are excellent, but tend to sound more like a normal bass guitar, no matter what strings you put on and what setup you apply. If the DB sound is what matters to you, you have no choice but to get a real DB. (Lucky you! I'm so jealous! :D)

Edited by bluejay

I can only speak from my experience but I was in a similar dilema to you.

On one hand only a DB will sound like a DB and certainly if you want to do something like rockabilly slap you just cant do it on a EUB . I've also come across some bands who specify that they dont want an EUB sound , which is fair enough.

On the other hand an EUB is very easy to transport .I've carried mine through rush hour across London using public transport and TBH its easier than carrying a bass guitar.

In the end I picked up a stagg EUB for £200 on gumtree as I thought that it will allow me to get to grips with the both the right and left hand techniques and once I'm ready it should be easy enough to transfer onto a DB. I suppose I imagine a situation in the future where I could use the Stagg for rehearsals and use the DB for gigs

I'm certainly enjoying my DB, I took a punt with mine but it can be a bit daunting buying one if you know nothing about them. I seem to have got lucky and ended up with a rather good bass for not much money.

I guess with an EUB you can read a few reviews and then buy with confidence, plus you can plug them in and transport them easily.

My DB bag seems to be a size too small for the bass and has no handles, if you've ever tried to transport a corpse rolled in a carpet you'll know what that feels like. Plus you'll need a fairly large car with the seats down just to get it in. Early days but worth the effort!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1348668324' post='1816687']
Double bass everytime.

If you go for an EUB, you will still want a double bass.

If you get a double bass, you won't want an EUB.
[/quote]

+ 1 very true,i bought an EUB first of then a propper DB very shortly after,wouldn't look at an EUB now (no offence to EUB players btw)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1348668324' post='1816687']
Double bass everytime.

If you go for an EUB, you will still want a double bass.

If you get a double bass, you won't want an EUB.
[/quote]

I have an EUB and I want a DB, true.

If I only had a DB and had to get it to the gig in my car and make it heard over the electric guitar and drums, I suspect I might wish I had an EUB.

Also depends on the group, the other instruments and the music. Artisan and Philparker are playing rockabilly, Bilbo *loves* jazz., so DB is clearly best for them. EUB suits my band's style.

EUB isn't just a poor man's DB, any more than an electric guitar is a poor man's acoustic. It's an instrument in its own right; very different from DB and fretless bass both in sound and the way it asks to be played.

Edited by bremen

Thanks for the replies - it has really helped me put things into perspective and priority. It the end I know I will end up getting both and who knows, I might be able to do a trade on BC as I already own too many bass guitars, other guitars & equipment that aren't all being used.

After all my consideration about practicality and gigging, the first thing that has really hit home to the question from 'thisnameistaken' - I really like the sound of the acoustic double bass: that's what I want to play and that's the sound I want. Quantified further with great advice that some EUBs can sound too close to an electric bass (I play more fretless than fretted anyway). I can still gig as I do now anyway and by the time I'm competent enough I can consider the pros of getting an EUB in addition.

@FatRich - I've enjoyed your thread and I'm glad you got lucky with your DB, I've got my eye on a couple, although not quite the same bargain. I have been lucky to locate a comparatively local teacher (15-mile radius) and had a good positive discussion last night, so I'm really looking forward to the whole experience!

And do consider ply double basses. Cheaper than solid wood and more robust, so they will withstand the odd bang and crash. Also, you don't need a big car to transport a DB, just a bit of ingenuity. We used to get me, bass, amp and drummer into the Subaru until the drummer wanted to bring his drum kit. Now we have a Honda CRV but it's more difficult to heave the bass into the back than it was to put it in the front of the Scooby. Enjoy!

Hey - good timing, I've literally just sent this email to Faithless here, pondering the same thing, tho from the angle of 'Is a cheap EUB worth getting over a real acoustic if you're not planning on playing jazz/making it your main instrument/playing in a pop setting?'. Here's my tuppence's worth.

Hey Laimis -

I don't have any experience with the Palatino's but it sounds like an EUB is the way forward for you. If you're using it in a pop setting, chances are the PA and stage volume would make life hell for a real acoustic bass. There's just too many problems caused by the low frequencies coming from the sub part of the PA. And if you're standing near anyone else then just about anything can cause feedback - the kick drum, low notes from the guitar - I've even had feedback caused by vocals in a monitor being too loud. The frequencies just travel up the endpin and get that bass shaking. Pain in the ass.

So, given your band mates wouldn't be too keen on taking another car just so you can have a real upright, then that's two reasons not to get one.

I think it would be worth going down the Palatino route just so that you can start getting your left hand used to the note spacing - and even the right hand takes a lot of work to get used to plucking at a different angle and with a different part of the finger. So if the Palatino is cheap enough it sounds like a good way to get into the upright world without spending too much money - and you can always sell it on if you decide to keep going and upgrade. Another thing to consider is that the pickup makes a hell of a difference - and you can upgrade that at a relatively low cost (and take the pickup with you if you need to travel or change to another bass).

Here's another thing I've found over the years that might actually work in your favour - a lot of people that hire me say they love the upright sound but the truth is that they love the look of the upright only and they still hear the sound of the electric in their head. So if the Palatino doesn't sound anything like a real acoustic bass that isn't always a bad thing. A real acoustic bass can sonically get lost very easily when there's cymbals and guitar chords taking up the high end space and then all we're left with is a low rumble (which is very hard to play in tune with).

Hope that helps. gareth

[quote name='danweb22' timestamp='1348670015' post='1816722']
Or get a BSX Allegro (which I and Gareth walbassist have got) which sounds and plays like a double bass but is an EUB. Also played by Mike Pope and Brian Bromberg
[/quote]

I've just watched wallbassist' review of the BSX Allegro on YouTube and that's definitely the sort of instrument I hoped to get should I choose an EUB, but at the moment, I'm favouring the Double Bass!

Thanks for the tip regarding the robustness of the plywood bass - it's a good point!

Edited by philparker

[quote name='philparker' timestamp='1348687634' post='1817003']
I've just watched wallbassist' review of the BSX Allegro on YouTube and that's definitely the sort of instrument I hoped to get should I choose an EUB, but at the moment, I'm favouring the Double Bass!

Thanks for the tip regarding the robustness of the plywood bass - it's a good point!
[/quote]

In all fairness a BSX is getting up at the higher end EUBs at £2000+ which would buy a better than plywood DB. I have to admt than when I think of an EUB I tend to think of not more than £1000 (but then I'm a cheapskate :) )

Steve

I have to say that I considered getting a DB again (had a Thomann 22 originally but didn't have the space) but wanted something smaller, something that sounded great amplified and that played/sounded like a DB. I also didn't want the hassle/expense of having to get it setup. The BSX has an adjustable neck which lowers or raises the action to how you like it, a 3 band EQ and isn't much bigger than a normal bass guitar when the end pin is fully in. These were all plus points for me over a DB, which considering if I bought a decent ply/hybrid with some decent strings, a setup and a soft case might have been around what I paid for the BSX!

Also reading reviews of what Mike Pope and Brian Bromberg have said about the BSX and the fact that they use one live instead of their acoustic DBs was also a major factor! :)

Thanks for all the advice - it really did help and I am now the proud owner of a Gewa, solid tonewood, 3/4 double bass!

I'm stuck at work at the moment so can't play it until tomorrow, but I've had an hour or so on it this morning and I think it will soon be addicitve - I can't wait to get competent on it. I'm not too sure about the strings even though I was told they are good and will last, but I will have to wait a while to buy some new ones, along with a decent stand etc.

I'm hoping I can transfer a lot of my musicianship over and expedite the time required so that I can gig in anger, however, I am also having my first lesson tomorrow evening to start me on the right path and I will keep doing so until I am happy with my ability.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1348670527' post='1816728']
+ 1 very true,i bought an EUB first of then a propper DB very shortly after,wouldn't look at an EUB now (no offence to EUB players btw)
[/quote]
I totally agree, nothing sounds like a DB and if you like that sound, you have to get one. EUB is great but it is NOT a DB.