Why become a member? ×

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law...

johnthebassist

S'up basschat?!

Thought it's about time I had the decency to say hi. I've been a bit of a silent lurker for a while, sold my EUB on here ages ago but never stopped to say hello.

Hello :)

I'm a reasonably busy London-based bassist, propping up gig money with a dreaded 9-to-5. Mine's at PRS for Music (if you've got any PRS/copyright/royalties questions, feel free to fire 'em my way). When I'm not chained to my desk, I'm on stage with [url="http://www.lacband.co.uk"]London Afrobeat Collective[/url], smashing out big funky Afrobeat jams to hedonistic (usually soggy) festival crowds and the impossibly hip creatures of Shoreditch nightlife.

I'm a massive fan of all things groovy. I think the funk shines out of Zender's headstock and I worship the ground Bootsy hovers over. Every morning I wake up and listen out for the sound of Louis Johnson's thumb smashing the thunk out of a Musicman, just in case he moved in next door during the night. It hasn't happened yet, but you can't blame a guy for hoping. The Funk is king.

Anyway, thanks to whoever started this brilliant site. An occasional trawl through its many pages of bass-perversion remind me that I need to work harder if I'm gonna afford more basses! Right now I have a Warwick Streamer Stage II (5-string) and a '79 Musicman Sabre. I'd love a Status Streamline 5, but I'm gonna need to do some more gigs to pay for it!

Nice one. J.

Edited by johnthebassist

[quote name='johnthebassist' timestamp='1347907687' post='1806524']
Nice one Andy! Yes, I remember that now. Come to think of it, I never updated that post to show that I sold the bass. Better do that now. Hope you're keeping well, sir!
[/quote]

All good ta matey! Still hanging around on here buying and swapping bits and bobs, chipping in where I might know something useful but mostly learning useful stuff myself... ;)

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1347959215' post='1807058']
Nice resume, and having someone totally clued up on PRS and how it works is a major plus, even better such a person who is annointed with the funk ;)

Welcome :D
[/quote]

Cheers! In general, Copyright collecting societies don't exactly go out of their way to properly explain how it all works, especially not to unpublished writers, so as an unpublished writer myself, I'm more than happy to spread the word. You'd be surprised how many people misunderstand the whole thing.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1347961093' post='1807104']
Hi there, nice to meet a fellow '79 Sabre owner :)
[/quote]

Likewise! I believe [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/1234-ahpook/"]Ahpook[/url] is as well. I don;t think there are many about. Not as rare as the Cutlass or Cutlass II, mind. I;d kill to get my hands on one of those. Did think about buying a Status composite neck and having a kinda D.I.Y Cutlass II, but can't quite bear to dismantle a perfectly wonderful instrument. Time to buy a beaten up Stingray, methinks...

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1347961515' post='1807110']
All good ta matey! Still hanging around on here buying and swapping bits and bobs, chipping in where I might know something useful but mostly learning useful stuff myself... ;)
[/quote]

Glad to hear it, Andy! The NXT 4 went to another basschatter in the end, to do an X Factor tour, I think he said. Traded anything interesting recently?

[quote name='johnthebassist' timestamp='1347963345' post='1807136']
Glad to hear it, Andy! The NXT 4 went to another basschatter in the end, to do an X Factor tour, I think he said. Traded anything interesting recently?
[/quote]

fairly quiet year I think trades wise, sold the shuker neck from my geddy jazz and sent the body to bassdoc for a new fretless neck, should be arriving at my house today :gas:
my Lakland 55-02 arrived in March I think it was so that's my main bass and my amps are sorted as of last year (Genz Shuttle 9 and a pair of Epi UL112-2 cabs) although I'm really tempted to see how different it would sound through a Barefaced Super 12T...

Traded Line6 DL4 for a Lomenzo Hyperdrive, sold Hyperdrive to part fund either Catalinbread SFT or Xotic BB Bass Preamp, having a go with both this week to try and choose which
Traded EBS Mumlticomp for Aguilar TLC - lovin it!
Sold my EBS octabass and multidrive and bought an Aguilar Octamizer - arrived this morning, trying it tonight!

hhmmm, maybe not that quiet...all change in the pedalboard it would seem :lol:

[quote name='johnthebassist' timestamp='1347906894' post='1806511']
I'm a massive fan of all things groovy. I think the funk shines out of Zender's headstock and I worship the ground Bootsy hovers over. Every morning I wake up and listen out for the sound of Louis Johnson's thumb smashing the thunk out of a Musicman, just in case he moved in next door during the night. It hasn't happened yet, but you can't blame a guy for hoping. The Funk is king.
[/quote]

I think you and I were separated at birth!

Welcome to the forum J