Why become a member? ×

Dunlop Strings

Pete Academy

Working in a music shop, I'm in the favourable position of being able to try out stuff for free. I've tried virtually every brand of strings over the years, and resigned myself to the fact that DR were my favourite brand. However, I recently tried some Dunlop stainless steels. Without plugging the bass into an amp, I was really disappointed, as they sounded quite dull, even though the tension was nice.

On a gig I was pleasantly surprised. They sounded great...really full lows and mids, and the top end cut through without being harsh.

Please note, this is just my opinion, but it might be worth trying these for yourselves.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1347437414' post='1800666']

I think they sound good but I’ve found that my DR strings last a lot longer.
[/quote]

+1.

After hearing some great reviews, I bought a set of nickle roundwounds out of curiosity. I found that they became dull a lot quicker than my DR's.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='KuzBass' timestamp='1352814291' post='1867704']
Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread! I will go on and try Dunlop strings.
I've just talked to Enrico from W&T, and his opinion on whether the Dunlop strings die fast was "not at all". But well, this is just his opinion, I'd go on and check myself!
[/quote]

I guess if your used to DR Sunbeams the Dunlops might seem to die quicker but otherwise from what Ive been told they do last a while compared to the other makes.

I'm using Dunlop Stainless Steels on both of my basses at the moment, one dropped to CGCF tuning and the other BF#BE and they've been brilliant, still sounding as good as they did when I first put them on and I'd definitely recommend them. I need to test out DR Droptune strings and see how they are, but until then I'll only use Dunlops.

Just strung these to my BB415 and had a play around with them. I almost blew my head off when I first plugged them in as my amp was set to boost the lows and mids of the last strings I was using :lol:. I had to turn everything down and start again. The sound is exactly what im looking for, boomy lows and a growly mids with a cheeky little bit of top end just to cut through. I agree that they do sound dull without the amp being turned on but they more than make up for that when you do switch it on.

I went for the light 5 string set (40,60,80,100,120) because I find fatter strings to be a bit to floppy ;). They feel great, need to get used to the lower tension but that's something I will get used to soon enough.

Overall very good first impressions, I need to string them to my TRB 5 and then take them to my next band practice to really give them a going over which I am looking forward to greatly!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1352731843' post='1866633']
How would you describe the tension on these compared to DRs , Pete ?
[/quote]

To answer my own question , I have just remembered that I have actually got a set of the nickels that someone gave me as a gift on a bass at home . It has taken me the best part of a week to realise that I have got first-hand experience of these strings ( memory lapses like this are surely a sign of middle age ) and just to echo what a lot of others have said , the didn't seem particulaly bright straight out of the box , but the amplified sound is perfectly fine and they seem to have lasted o.k so far and are certainly not dead as a doornail by any means, although I must admit they have only had fairly light use . . I recently heard some recording I had done with them and it sounded fine , with plenty of top end and a good overall prescence in the mix . I would say that these are good strings for people who don't neccesarily want that super bright fresh out of the packet new string sound .

Dunlop describe these strings as being low tension , and I would still be very interested in other peoples impressions of the relative tension of these strings compared to DR round core strings such as Hi Beams , Sunbeams , Fatbeams ect , which I personally find to be very elastic feeling and very low tension ( or compliance , as I have learnt from other Basschatters is the more accurate term ) for their given gauge . Do you think these Dunlops fill the gap in terms of tension between a stiffer regular hex core string like D'Addario and a more compliant feeling round core string like DRs ? I would be genuinely intrested to hear what anyone in a position to make a first-hand comparison thinks on this subject .