Why become a member? ×

House > Shuker Precision

Graham

So today's been remarkably disapointing, after a long time trying to sell it, a couple of weeks ago I managed to sell my old Mayones through Gumtree and got a good price for it, I was then able to sell my jazz bass to a mate and if I were to then sell my Lakland (which shouldn't be hard) I'd be able to afford to get Jon Shuker to build me the Precision of my dreams and have been in discussions with him about it.

However, my wife and I have been trying to move back to the town we used to live in so we'd be closer to our parents and friends and would be able to get a lot more support with the children and today we found out we can get a house we've been looking at renting. The downside is the sheer number of fees and that the deposit being over twice the deposit on the flat we're in now, means I'm going to have to spend the bulk of what I made from selling the two basses on the deposit, writing off the custom build for the forseeable future.

I know a house is more important, I know it's what my wife wants (I want to move back too, but it's less important to me) and it is the right decision, but I do feel really sad that I thought I was going to have a bass built that ticked every box - wood, neck profile, electronics, finish etc and now it just isn't going to happen, certainly not for quite a while. I had a day booked off next Monday to go to GAK, Guitar Guitar in Epsom and Andertons to go try several basses out to confirm the ideal neck profile for me not sure if there's any point to that now.

Also, as land prices in the south east in general and specifically in East Grinstead are a joke, the house we'll be moving to is smaller than the flat we're in now so I'll probably have to get rid of my beloved EBS rig and get something smaller.

Sorry for lowering the tone, but just thought I'd vent to people who would understand.

It'a bitter pill to swallow. All I can say, is a few years ago, we had to downsize houses or we'd have gone belly up. I had 17 basses at the time.
Now, we are happier, the house is easier to clean :P and I have 5 excellent basses, which is 4 more than I need.
Tough gig, but for all the right reasons.
You will get there and you will be happier. Put the Shuker in the 5 year plan compartment.
Good luck.
Karl.

Try not to be too upset or dissappointed about missing out (for now, at least) on your dream bass, and look at the positives instead.
Putting aside for the moment the fact that no bass in the world will ever be more important than your wife and family and looking at things strictly in bass terms, you've still got a Lakland ( be interested to know which one ) and an EBS rig to be going on with for now. That's not such a terrible combination when you think about it, is it? And you may find the space to store your EBS gear in the new place after all, even if you have to practise at home through a Korg Pandora or such like. As long as you've got a decent bass to play and practise on which doesn't hamper you're development as a player, the rest is pretty superfluous. And don't lose sight of the fact that when your financial situation improves you can look forward to choosing the spec your dream bass from John Shuker all over again . Buying basses is easy: all you need is money. It's learning to play them that's the most difficult ( and rewarding ) part.
As the old saying goes , sometimes it's better to travel hopefully than to arrive. I have bought my dream bass on more than one occasion, and none of them significantly improved my happiness or my life. Trust me when I tell you that in the scheme of things , this is nothing worth getting upset over.

Edited by Dingus

You know what would be more infuriating? Seeing your dream bass getting purchased by someone else.

Count yourself lucky that your dream bass is just a custom build away. Some people's dream basses are quite often not custom builds, so be happy in the knowledge that you'll get it eventually. :)

Cheers guys, you are right and I'll get the Shuker one day.

The Lakland in question is a Skyline Duck Dunn which sounds fantastic but the neck isn't quite right for me, hence the desire for a custom but it's far from un-payable so I'll stick with that for now.

Been looking at small amp solutions and you never know, might end up liking it more (thinking an Eden WT550 into a Barefaced Super 12T might be a good combination) or, as you say I might find space for the EBS.

Been trying to look on the brightside a bit more.

Aye, the Dunn has a jazz neck. Hold onto that one until you are ready to go. When you do sell, put it out at good money, they are desirable and rarely come up.
Amps, get a Barefaced, Schroeder, whatever, cab, and a Class D micro head. You will be amazed!
Good luck.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1347357599' post='1799662']
Aye, the Dunn has a jazz neck. Hold onto that one until you are ready to go. When you do sell, put it out at good money, they are desirable and rarely come up.
Amps, get a Barefaced, Schroeder, whatever, cab, and a Class D micro head. You will be amazed!
Good luck.
[/quote]

Aye, that's the plan......unless I can persuade you to part with your bob glaub Karl? :lol: