Why become a member? ×

Uh oh... what's this?

Evil Undead

I've noticed some weird rippling/ridges in the finish on my bass, mainly on the front in an area about 2-3". It still seems solid, and it might have been there all along but I have studied every inch of this thing and I'm sure I would have noticed!

I'm worried that it's a problem - aesthetically I'm not really worried, but could it be a sign of something structural?

Trying to take pics but it's hard to get a shot of it.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1347229426' post='1798385']
Pic would help, but is it finish deep? What sort of finish? [b]some finishes will sink into the grain as the grain shrinks.[/b]
[/quote]

This sprang to mind when I read the original post. My Lakland shows fine lines, which are joins in the wood underneath the finish.

Definitely not structural, it's very rare for a bass body to come apart even on the cheapest of instruments unless seriously abused.

As has been said, it's the finish sinking a little into the grain of the wood. Some woods (particularly ash) are very porous and soak up a lot of the sealer.

On a vintage bass it would be described as "a nicely checked aged finish with lots of mojo" ;)

My 2008 USA Standard and (before I got rid of it a couple of weeks ago) 2010 USA Deluxe both have/had the same thing going on. I dare say that when my 2012 USA Standard V that's replacing the Deluxe finally arrives, it'll look the same. I've always just taken it to be due to the thickness of the finish.

Absolutely nothing to worry about. As stated previously, it's simply the finish sinking into the wood grain. Itcan happen with any finish.

For example, on very thin nitro finishes it can be very noticeable. Poly finishes mask it better due to their thickness and plasticity.

Here's my ultra thin ( about the overall thickness of a sheet of paper) Shell Pink nitro finish on a swamp ash body

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/d71afa9d.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/8bc9c4dc.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by kevin_lindsay

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1347285227' post='1798798']
try a darker room and a torch with the beam shining horizontally side on and level with the surface (is also good for finding tiny things that youve dropped on the floor and then cant see under normal light conditions very easily )

:)
[/quote]

I'll give that a try, thanks :)

Is there a name for this "issue"? I'd like to google it but don't know what to search

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1347302290' post='1799114']
is it rippling up? or the coating sinking down? your large pic with the three string holes visible on the back looks like it's a rogue section of wood grain showing through??
[/quote]

The coat is sinking down I think. The pic with the three string holes is Kevins not mine :)