Why become a member? ×

Need some help with lights

swanbrook

Hi guys
Just looking for recommendation on light. So I play/ run a five piece wedding/ corp band. We have a big set up that can go from small 80 people gigs to venues up to 750. Anything bigger I alway hire in a pa and lights.

I am using some led par cans and njd spectors but hate them, I and looking at getting a few ledj q Colour
http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/lighting-c1/band-stage-and-uplighting-c9/led-stage-wash-c86/ledj-ledj-q-colour-led-lighting-effect-p337
My idea is to buy 2 and maybe a third for bigger gigs
It's the effect I want. A stage wash where everything is lit up no dark spots or par cans in the way.

What do you guys use ?

Cheers

D

Wouldn't they get in the way too?

I use 4 led par cans on two stands, one stand either side of the stage. The trick is to get them up as high as you possibly can so they shine downwards. All set on automatic sound to light.

I used to run them via a DMX mixer but it was more hassle than it was worth.

I am considering getting two more par cans and putting them on the floor next to the monitors. At £50 each they're cheap really.

Edited by TimR

The idea would be to have them on stands either side of the stage, as I had the cans before. I just find the led par cans a bit weak and the centre of the stage is too dark I will post a picture of the effect I am going for. I know it's achievable with 2 of these units ( mind you a cheaper version) each side. Some nights we get 45 mins to get a 5 k rig and full back line in and checked before the first dance so if one of these each side will do the job it will save a bit of time.
I am just wondering what everybody else is using :)

Often overlooked is the backdrop...but then time and money is the key..

Speed of set-up against effect against cost for something you can't use all the time..?? it goes on.

We carry a basic 4 bar with floor spots for small gigs and then hire-in when the venue, budget and event allows.

Minefield, mostly.

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1347269946' post='1798527']
I got a set of [url="http://www.kam.co.uk/index.php?action=product&product_id=385"]THESE[/url] which are fine, & set up quickly & easily out of the way behind the PA but I could really do with another set
[/quote]

Bought one of those for my band and ended up having to buy normal par cans to supplement it in the end as its not really powerful enough on its own good piece of kit in terms of the space it takes up however if you buy it i'd suggest buying two as one really isn't powerful enough to light a band

we use four of these to supliment it which gives us a good range of options at venues however if i had my money back i would've bought 8 and 2 T- Bars
[url="http://www.decks.co.uk/products/LED_Par_Cans/LEDJ/LED64_Floor_Can_Black"]http://www.decks.co.uk/products/LED_Par_Cans/LEDJ/LED64_Floor_Can_Black[/url]

the bottom line imho is that you very much get what you pay for (i know its very easy to spend others money) however if you buy stuff on the cheap then it will look cheap

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1347272906' post='1798577']
Bought one of those for my band and ended up having to buy normal par cans to supplement it in the end as its not really powerful enough on its own good piece of kit in terms of the space it takes up however if you buy it i'd suggest buying two as one really isn't powerful enough to light a band

we use four of these to supliment it which gives us a good range of options at venues however if i had my money back i would've bought 8 and 2 T- Bars
[url="http://www.decks.co.uk/products/LED_Par_Cans/LEDJ/LED64_Floor_Can_Black"]http://www.decks.co....Floor_Can_Black[/url]

the bottom line imho is that you very much get what you pay for (i know its very easy to spend others money) however if you buy stuff on the cheap then it will look cheap
[/quote]

Yes, that's what I have. T bars were £25 from Maplin (£29 deal at the moment) and 2 each side are fine. As I say trick is to get them high and at the right distance from the band. Too close and you get dark areas, too far away and they're not bright enough.

As I say, I may get 2 more to sit on the floor, particularly at the back for drums.

Experimenting with what you have is always the key thing. If you put them in one position and don't get what you expect, move them around, then go stand at the back of the venue with someone standing on stage. Time spent doing this at your first gig pays dividends.

Mine were definitely less than £85 though!

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1347272906' post='1798577']
[/quote]You're not wrong there. I was trying to get away from a couple of cr@ppy boxes with DIY store floodlights & gels in. More money than sense me & I was sick of waiting foranyone else in the main band to get enthused about trying to add a bit of moving light for a bit more of a show :unsure:

The floods the OP was talking about look interesting

When it comes to spending money I will never see the light!!! Sorry, that was bad real bad

I bit the bullet and got them, when I have the stage set up this weekend I will post a few pics. Cost me under €800, ithink I will prob end up getting another one for bigger gigs but I am hoping 2 will do the job for me on most of the venues.

+1 to the above. We use a pair of Equinox Mega Bars and one of these, http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?product=Showtec_Showmaster_48_48_Channel_DMX_Dimming_Console&id=SHO50356. Brilliant. We've got a guy who works it all for us, but we could just use the foot controller that comes with the mega bars.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1347285787' post='1798809']
When it comes to spending money I will never see the light!!! Sorry, that was bad real bad

I bit the bullet and got them, when I have the stage set up this weekend I will post a few pics. Cost me under €800, ithink I will prob end up getting another one for bigger gigs but I am hoping 2 will do the job for me on most of the venues.
[/quote]

How were they? Have you used them yet? I'm thinking of getting one or two of these.

I bought a couple of remote control dmx cans , ADJ I think and a laser , not a masive light show but I can alter the look quite easy and the sound to light works ok , but not really adjustable . I ofetn find the ceilings quite low and stage area small so I tend to bounce the lights off the ceilings and it tends to go a lot further as the whole stage area is washed over .

Yeah sorry guys I meant to get back to you.

I got them, the dmx controller is pretty basic you can't program it so you just have to use the ones pre loaded. I am sorry I diddnt get the foot controller with them and will be ordering it next week. The lights are very easy to set up and must be designed by nasa to weight less than nothing !
As I said they are pretty basic and if your looking for a "light show" then they may not be the lights for you unless you have a light engineer in which case it's a whole new level because when used in dmx mode they are pretty damn limitless and in the right hands are really effective.
One thing I really do need to point out is how bright they are. The only way to put it to words is
" it's like having the sun with you without the heat"
I am so glad I only bought 2 of them as a lot of time I am just using one of them.
I am still looking for a sweet spot on stage with them, if I put them out front I need a welders mask and too far back the create a problem with shadows and the singer isn't very visible.

Am I happy and would I buy them again, yes,they are perfect for what I need as I said I will get the foot controller just for a bit of messing around :)

D

Bright is subjective. You want as bright a stage as you can get. You are the stars of the show you know and you do want the audience to see you and if you are blinded by the light, sounds like a good title for a song, then try not to look in to the lights. LED lights seem incredibly bright if you look at them but have a tendency to nowhere near as bright when viewed from behind, ie, from the audience.

We position our lights either side of the stage as far forward and as high as we can get them and it works well.

Full rig run from DMX Showtec desk. Using Maplin side stage stands with added light supports to take max 8 pars (£39 each) and also the Maplin goal post type (£79) behind drums. I have 4 pars each side with 2 on goal post along with various effects incl lasers, projectors, scanners all for effect. Positioning some effects or pars on floor without blinding musicians is also a great effect.
I've also looked at the block wash type you are talking about as I've found the LED pars don't flood a stage but have a 20-25% beam angle. Secret as mentioned is to get as much height or depth as possible to cover more stage area.

Dave

I use a relay g 30 so ican go out front and che k the sound. So went right out front and had a look . i Got the lights up front and as high as possible last night. Dear god they are great whole stage lit up every detail. Very pleased with them

Edited by swanbrook