Why become a member? ×

15 year old guitarist ? Now new band member !

gub

We have recently been looking for a 2nd guitarist for the band and today had a call from a friend of mine and guitar tutor who I had given heads up if knew of anyone , well had a call from him today and says he has a chap in mind ( one of his students ) who is interested and he things would be great but he is only 15 ! We are a pub cover band ranging in ages from 21 to 45 , i have no problem with him being the age he is , hey eric clapton was 15 once ! just wondering if it would cause a problem playing in pubs etc ?

Edited by gub

I was in a jazz/funk band, and the guitarist was 16 when we started. We never had any issues with the venues as far as I can remember. A real asset to the band, great musician who then went on to get a scholarship at the Royal College of Music (got first in composition) Beware though, he got ALL the girls! :-)

Don't think it will be problem if he doesn't touch a drop but you will have to have a good chat with his guardians to what they expect from you responability wise, which coud be an issue

On the plus, he could draw the parents of his teenage friends and their kids out to the venues

Cheers folks , well he is coming along to rehearsal next week , I have had a good chat with him and his mother on the phone and he seems very mature for his age and she sounds lovely , and said since he found out he was coming to the audition he hasn't stopped smiling ! Fingers crossed ;)

i started gigging in a pub covers band at 16, like its been said before i never touched a drop and i knew how to behave in those kind of places (not cause trouble ect) and so in the two years i was gigging before i was 18 i never had any trouble with any venues. Just as a note though at the end of the day if a venue doesn't want him inside at that age i don't think it makes a difference if its illegal or not i think its ultimately at the landlords discretion.

Edited by Chrismanbass

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1347611407' post='1802957']

im sure its not illegal for someone of 15 to be in a pub, as long as they don't drink
[/quote]

Absolutely this! I'd be inclined to mention it to the venue with each gig, just make them aware. Assure them he won't be drinking anything other than soft drinks. Theres a band round here that play the pub circuit and they're only 16 ish, and thats all 4 of them! But they do have their parents with them.

Dan

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1347616687' post='1803024']
Absolutely this! I'd be inclined to mention it to the venue with each gig, just make them aware.
[/quote]

I'd be prepared and have something in writing assuring them that he will not be drinking blah blah blah. He could even have a lanyard or summat saying "soft drinks only" if they get really funny about it.

If you come across as professional and treat is as "oh it's this again" you may be able to fool them into this being a "standard" approach to a young musician.

I started gigging when I was 15 and even had my 18th birthday in a pub that I had been playing regularly in for 2 years. It was never a problem for me but this was a few years ago now.

I was quite tall and didnt look my age, which helped. The rest of the band were older than me and used to like to hang around and drink late which got a bit boring though.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1347632408' post='1803350']
A while ago I saw a band, which was two vintage gentlemen and a 17 year old drummer. The bass player made several jokes between songs about having groomed the drummer on the Internet. I recommend not copying that.
[/quote]

I played in a band with a very young-looking 21 year old who wore round glasses. Me and the singer were in our 50s and pretty rough looking...we got a review saying it looked like the Stooges had kidnapped Harry Potter.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1347634261' post='1803391']

I played in a band with a very young-looking 21 year old who wore round glasses. Me and the singer were in our 50s and pretty rough looking...we got a review saying it looked like the Stooges had kidnapped Harry Potter.
[/quote]
Genius reviewer ;)

Well just to update on this ,.. We invited him in to one of our rehearsals so we could all meet and he could here us ,we didnt want to put to much pressure on him so I gave him 3 songs that we would be doing and if he wanted to join in he would be welcome , he turned up with his vintage guitar and marshal amp and must say he was really good , he had not even heard some of the songs we do before but soon joined in with them , although his little marshal wasn't up to it so we plugged him in to a old peavy we have spare at the rehearsal rooms and wam bam , sounding great , we are giving the spot to him if he wants it , should be good experience for him and feel that it will work out well for all of us really :)