Why become a member? ×

Had my first ever bass lesson today

Mornats

I decided to treat myself to bass lessons for my birthday and got in touch with Matt Downer ([url="http://www.matthewdowner.com"]http://www.matthewdowner.com[/url]) and had my first lesson.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I had a great time. Matt taught me some much-needed technique and gave me some exercises to help with it. "Play them slow, it's harder to play slower" was his advice for them and he's right. I practiced them for over an hour when I got home and I can see a marked improvement. I still need practice but I'm heading in the right direction now. :)

He also went over some theory too which I really wanted to learn. It looks like I'll have to learn to read music during my lessons too so I'll dive into that. It wasn't on my agenda at first but I can see the benefit of it so I'll happily learn it.

So my end goal is to have someone say, let's do a jam in Bb with a I V IV progression and I can just pick up the bass and groove along without thinking.And I think I'll get there with Matt's help.

So I'm a happy bunny right now. Best* birthday present to myself ever I think.

* Well, perhaps my Overwater Contemporary J4 from last year was, but this is on par :)

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1347045094' post='1796473']
Are you going to keep it up?
[/quote]

You betcha.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1347049684' post='1796552']
( I V IV progressions can't be done in Bb though. You'll need to transpose to F#. Matt will teach you. He knows these things. :P )
[/quote]

That's why I need a tutor :)

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1347049684' post='1796552']
( I V IV progressions can't be done in Bb though. You'll need to transpose to F#. Matt will teach you. He knows these things. :P )
[/quote]

Assuming that you're being serious-although the smiley suggests otherwise)-a I,V,IV in Bb will simply
be Bb,F,Eb. (Just in case anyone does actually think that you cant play that progression in Bb)

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1347064808' post='1796732']
Assuming that you're being serious-although the smiley suggests otherwise)-a I,V,IV in Bb will simply
be Bb,F,Eb. (Just in case anyone does actually think that you cant play that progression in Bb)
[/quote]

quite - keys are 'symmetrical' in that any progression will 'work' in any key, it just needs transposition. That's why your fretboard doesn't have 'gaps' or strange lengthen frets here and there - the bass doesn't care what key you're working in :)

(appreciate the smilieys though) :D

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1347114729' post='1797119']
Moving swiftly on... Matt had a Markbass combo (don't know which one but it had a single 10" speaker) that made my Overwater sound lurvely. FIrst time I've heard one and I did like it.
[/quote]
Yeah moving on. I hope Bert doesn't give lessons.

The Markbass stuff is lovely. So transparent that you probably heard what your bass is meant to sound like. And soooooo good for your back.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1347103057' post='1796955']
I knew I should have said C major lol :-)
[/quote]

[b]Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful![/b]
Thanks for the RIMSALMAO (Rolling In My Sofa And Laughing My Ass Off)

For extreme clarity: I was indeed only kidding, inspired by Mornats' new role as pupil.
Happily I'm not teaching any more. :)

best,
bert