Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Amp Day - Ampeg PF500 out, Little Mark Tube in.

Lozz196

Ok, new amp day for me. A couple of weeks ago I decided to revisit the Ampeg PF500, as I really liked it, and in all honesty, made a mistake selling it. So, took my new PF500 to band practice last night. Sounded great - but didn`t smell too good, much like something electrical was burning, although the amp didn`t get hot at all.

Anyway, this was the first time I`d used it, apart from a quick once-over at home. To say I was fed up would have been an understatement, as had also bought the matching PF410HLF cab.

So, what to do? Luckily, it was still within the 30 Day Exchange Period, so it was a case of, what other brands/amps do I like, coupled with are they reliable, as I can`t have an amp in which I have no faith, and there are too many horror stories re the PF500 (I`d hoped I`d luck out like last time, but unfortunately didn`t) to just exchange it for another.

Well I`ve always liked Markbass when I`ve heard them, so decided to try out a Markbass Little Mark Tube, a Little Mark 3, and a TC Electronic RH450.

Got to Andertons, plugged in the Little Mark Tube, to an Ampeg PF210, with a Precision, so I could see if it was compatible with my gear, and the short of it is, I didn`t bother with the other two. I just loved the LMT so much, it does exactly what I want. The Tube Control really adds warmth and harmonics to the sound.

I`ll submit a review when I`ve used it at rehearsal/gigs, but just had to put down how knocked out I am by this amp. In all honesty I prefer the sound of it to the PF500 as well, so aside from the obvious difference in price, last nights mishap actually did me a favour.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1347058520' post='1796684']
Welcome to the MB club. Hope it serves you well & looking forward to your review. :)
[/quote]

Thanks. I don`t know why it`s taken me so long to buy one. I`ve only ever been incredibly impressed whenever I`ve heard someone use them. Must be the "Doh Factor" I suppose :unsure:

Well I`ve not used the amp enough for a full review, but have had one rehearsal with one band, and one gig with the other, with this amp, using it with a Markbass Standard 104HR (8ohm) cab.

Well first impressions are a very rich warm sound, which is felt as well as heard. I can actually feel the sound hitting my legs when in front of the cab. Second impressions, I was a bit concerned about having an 8ohm cab, as not getting the full power, thinking I may need an 8ohm 210 as well. Well I don`t need it. Those 300 watts are more than enough, the amp was on 4 out of 12 on volume, with gain on 8 out of 12, all other eq at midday, aside from VLF on zero, and VLE on full (increases lows and highs, cuts mids). I doubt I`ll ever play in a band again where I need more volume than this amp can chuck out, and it`s unlikely I`ll play venues that are big enough for me to need another cab for the depth of sound, as it`s all there.

Great amp/cab, full review of each when I`ve got a fair bit of usage, but just wanted to put my initial findings out.

Edit - settings should read VLE on zero, and VPF on full. Still getting used to it :unsure:

Edited by Lozz196

VLE (vintage loudspeaker emulator) is the one that introduces a high roll off, the more you turn it off the wider the frequency range it affects

VPF (variable preshape filter) is the mid scoopy one. It's unclear whether it boosts lows and highs aswell as even the guys at Markbass disagree on that!

Edited by chrismuzz

Yep, just edited, as still getting to grips with the amps controls - it`s the VLE completely off, and the VPF on full. Yes it does scoop the mids, but playing in punk bands with Gibson type distorted guitars, and using a Precision with year-old Roto rounds, I want a bass presence, but don`t want the whole spectrum of the band to be middied-out. I prefer the bass to be a supporting instrument, providing a foundation with the drums, on which the guitars sit nicely. Still gets a great warm bass, with each note being clear, played In The City the other night, and as soon as the bass kicked in, the audience gave a cheer.

i think the filters are awesome on the mb heads, i pretty much add a little bass but everything else is flat(12'o'clock) then i kinda shape the sound a bit with the filters.

ive only sold mine as i was violently hit by gas the other night and have got another head on the way.

but i do love the sound of markbass, when i had my 610hlf it ruled! i still dnt see the need for an 800w version as i never had to push it! ever! its never been passed half!

andy

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1347824332' post='1805536']
Yep, just edited, as still getting to grips with the amps controls - it`s the VLE completely off, and the VPF on full. Yes it does scoop the mids, but playing in punk bands with Gibson type distorted guitars, and using a Precision with year-old Roto rounds, I want a bass presence, but don`t want the whole spectrum of the band to be middied-out. I prefer the bass to be a supporting instrument, providing a foundation with the drums, on which the guitars sit nicely. Still gets a great warm bass, with each note being clear, played In The City the other night, and as soon as the bass kicked in, the audience gave a cheer.
[/quote]

Interesting! Before I used pedals I had my VPF around 2 o clock and the VLE around 9 o clock and thought it did a pretty good Ampeg impression, bit sparklier and cleaner though!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1347824332' post='1805536']
[/quote]

Agreed, I use my VPF filter a lot in my punk band, it really fits in.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1347827911' post='1805585']
Interesting! Before I used pedals I had my VPF around 2 o clock and the VLE around 9 o clock and thought it did a pretty good Ampeg impression, bit sparklier and cleaner though!
[/quote]

Yes, I think when I put any new strings on the VLE will come into play to tame them till they gunk up a bit.