Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NEW Gibson 70's G3

bigsmokebass

Just got an email from Gibson regarding a bass for thier new 70's series.

[IMG]http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af20/graeskyenathoof/Basses/e6366d139e30f04b8716b28dceafa09e.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af20/graeskyenathoof/Basses/5b66f65bbfe371b9463d846dd8ed7074.jpg[/IMG]

Can't say they're looking too bad for a budget series, i think your looking for about £700-£800 but quite a lot of cutbacks considering an origional, used one can fetch around the same on the 'bay.
I'll be interested to see how these sound and feel compared to my origional '77 but hey, nice to see them bring more basses out :)

Opinions!

BSB

I like em, I think there is room for a 3 single coiled bass - I've owned a 56' Fender copy and you just wished it had another pickup in the neck and the bridge. However, I'm not keen on Gibson being the one that creates it - I don't have the trust in them anymore, even on the 2010 VOS '58 I tried, the finish was untidy :( .

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1347022364' post='1796118']
Looks like Burns pickups...
[/quote]

If anything, they look more like Fender 51 single coils. Different to the "Jazz" looking ones they mounted in the actual 70's basses.

BSB

Edit: [IMG]http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af20/graeskyenathoof/My%20Basses/IMG_0202.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by bigsmokebass

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1347025142' post='1796160']
I like em, I think there is room for a 3 single coiled bass - I've owned a 56' Fender copy and you just wished it had another pickup in the neck and the bridge. However, I'm not keen on Gibson being the one that creates it - I don't have the trust in them anymore, even on the 2010 VOS '58 I tried, the finish was untidy :( .
[/quote]

I've never had a problem, did you try the '58 before you bought it? Unfortunately I've not owned a electric yet so I'm not sure if quality is any different.

:-/

BSB

I recognise that G3! :lol:

I like the look of these. The bit missing from the specs - at least, I didn't see it if it was there - was the weight. The original G3 I had, and now shown above, was very lightweight next to my Stingrays, and I'd want something substantial I could rock out with.

Put me down as interested, mind!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1347107625' post='1797005']
I recognise that G3! :lol:

I like the look of these. The bit missing from the specs - at least, I didn't see it if it was there - was the weight. The original G3 I had, and now shown above, was very lightweight next to my Stingrays, and I'd want something substantial I could rock out with.

Put me down as interested, mind!
[/quote]
Top bass sir, top bass ;)

They look good and decent for their (yet unknown) RRP but will you know what i mean about not looking '70s or as close as "our" bass?
I'm pretty sure it will be light, all my Gib's are. The Les is a bit heavy but i think being smallest of all i think the weight isn't distributed so much :-/
Definitely worth a try in my opinion :)

BSB

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1347137415' post='1797403']
Lightweight could be good, is it a neck diver would be my concern, are the originals?
[/quote]

Just hoisted mine up . . . very little neck dive, if any while sitting on my belly :D
Like Gus mentioned, its a very light bass, practically semi hollow due to the cavity under the scratch plate but i think thats how they're made back in the day, the cavity could be different and better designed this time? we can only wait and see :)

BSB