Why become a member? ×

Sansamp Bass Driver (or similar) Live...?

Ashwood1985

Hiya guys,

I'm finding using my fairly newly acquired BDDI pedal unit (which I bought for DI'ing in the studio) great for live and would recommend as a stomp box to dial in up to 6 tonal options to switch between when live. I'm running it as part of my pedal set up before my amp as well as PA as I prefer the sound of my amp with the BDDI essentially as a kind of warm-up pre. I should note that my streamer I use live has a 3 band pre itself so I have to be careful with settings for settings if you know what I mean or it could get messy.

The question in this post is 'do you think this is a good way to work'? not looking for justification: it's working for me at the moment and will keep experimenting. Was just really wondering if people are using units like these a lot as part of the boards? I don't tend to see them used in that format all that much.

I had a SansAmp Bass Driver many moons ago for direct recording and it was the beans. I used it live for my DI to the FOH desk and was pretty darn good. Highly recommend them. The EBS MicroBass II is a very good piece of kit too.

The beauty of using a preamp/DI for direct recording is the complete silence you get. No cooling fans whizzing away whilst you play is quite nice. Most of all...they are very portable.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1347572077' post='1802719']
I use mine after a compressor
[/quote]

Hmmm interesting approach - should give more consistent tone drive wise. I may just try that if I ever get around to organising a comp pedal and stop being lazy and using the one on my amp.

I use the BDDI Deluxe with six programmable settings. Very useful piece of kit, with some great sounds available.

My biggest problem with it is actually that I keep thinking I ought to be using more of those great sounds, simply because they're there and I can.

Bad idea.

For my gig tomorrow night, I've restricted myself to just three sounds, one of which is "clean" with the BDDI in bypass. :D

I don't use the Sansamp,but I do use a Sadowsky Preamp/DI. Live,I only use it with passive basses because I find
it overkill,and a little pointless,to run an active onboard preamp,into a preamp pedal and then into the preamp in
the amp. It's great to have some control over the signal being sent to the desk,but I mostly use either the amp's DI
or a passive box and control it mostly from the bass(again,because I use active basses most of the time.With a
passive bass I'll use the Sadowsky pre.)