Why become a member? ×

Custom Jobs

AdamWoodBass

Ok so I've started earning a nice wage out of playing for various bands and I feel like I am a busy enough player to justify having some "nice gear". Admitedly I am really really really fickle and particular about my sound so naturaly my conclusion is that I need some sort of custom instrument in the not so distant future. So instead of my trawling round the country looking for the best custom shops I thought I'd ask you fine boys and girls what you dig and what you don't bass builder wise. So let me know your opinions on Shuker, GB, Overwater etc etc etc or recomend a manufacturer I might not have heard of.

To be honest I don't like basses that look like a piece of furniture and I don't want one with such a characteristic tone as Fodera for example. I'm looking for something that will be able to just fit into any situation I throw at it cos I play a lot of different types of music from corporate party band and pop stuff to all out rock and mad experimental stuff.

So what do you reckon guys? I'm looking for a versitile 5 string and my budget will probably be around the £1100ish mark, bearing in mind the most I've ever spent on a bass was £800. It won't be for a few months yet though as I need to pull the money together.

Thanks guys

Ad

Contact Robbie McDade of RIM Custom Basses. Although he's made some more esoteric beasts - the current build being for me! :) - he's open to less unusual ideas and his workmanship is excellent. I know he's also working on a J-style bass for himself.

I know what you mean about the 'piece of furniture' thing - although my custom will be pretty atypical and will have the bare wood look, it'll be simple unfigured woods, not some crazy Alembic style hippie sandwich.

May I ask, why a custom bass? What is it about production instruments that doesn't do it for you?

Alex

Production instruments? Mainly the fact that I like the characteristics of several different types of bass but I just haven't managed to come across the bass that gives me everything I want in one package. For example I love the jazz bass tone but sometimes I want a little bit more than just a standard jazz tone, something fatter and beefier. Other times I want something generic that a soundman doesn't cry over. A custom jazz would probably suit me to be honest, something that can give you a nice jazz tone but can also kick out quite a nice modern tone as well.

You want versatile? Check out [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Home/"]AC Guitars[/url]. Alan is now doing a Jazz type bass which can be fitted with his filter based pre-amp, which is Extremely Versatile (sound samples on the website). With so much choice over the woods and finish, it doesn't have to look like a piece of furniture, and the quality is top notch at very reasonable prices

[quote name='ped' post='19779' date='Jun 18 2007, 05:55 PM']It sounds like some kind of 5 string jazz with a decent pre-amp and switchable coil soapbars might suit you![/quote]

Good thinking there mate, hadn't really thought of switchable pickups.

I was also looking at Sandberg's rather tastey range of j basses, I quite like the idea of the MM/J config on a 5 string. Plus everytime I've played a Sandberg I've really liked it.

Just a quick load of questions from someone who knows nowt.

Why would you have one made? Surely there is a bass out there for everyone.

What if you have it made and it does not behave/play as you requested? Do you still have to go through with it, or do you fight them like you do with builders.

What is the re-sale value on a custom build?

If you did get a custom build and after a while you realised your old Warwick Streamer was better, would you bite the bullet and admit it? I wouldn't.

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='19991' date='Jun 19 2007, 12:36 AM']I was also looking at Sandberg's rather tastey range of j basses, I quite like the idea of the MM/J config on a 5 string. Plus everytime I've played a Sandberg I've really liked it.[/quote]

Have a chat to Peter Brown at Synergy Distribution - you may be pleasantly surprised at how accommodating Sandberg can be to requests for tweaks. They're superb value basses as well.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='20049' date='Jun 19 2007, 09:56 AM']Have a chat to Peter Brown at Synergy Distribution - you may be pleasantly surprised at how accommodating Sandberg can be to requests for tweaks. They're superb value basses as well.[/quote]

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I might just do that CK. I know they're very friendly guys over at Sandberg so I'll see what I can drum up.

I think that would be a good idea. A decent electronics package will see you right! I was tempted with one of their 5 string P bass clones with a MM at the bidge recently, though I heard there was a mismatch in volume between the two, and ended up being skint anyway.

You can get some fantastic dual coil pickups in a single housing now, so it needn't affect the traditional looks if you don't want it to. My jazz has fairly thin soapbars.

I'll pop another vote in for ACG if you can get your head around the Pre-amp I think it would really sort out your problem about getting what ever you want about a jazz sound plus that extra.

I havnt played any off the shelf bass that meets a custom built quality. I dont think it makes any difference between custom and off self for re-sale as long as the builder's well known, I think you would loose on averge the same amount from retail.

Having one made makes finding the bass out there for everyone alot easier to find. Ortho i would suggest trying to play an example of which ever bass you are thinking about buying, I really dont get on with on of the more favoured bass builders on here. Im sure if you got a bass built and really didnt like it the builder would except it back and try to sell it them selves; Unless of corse you ask for something really out there and personal that they dont think they could move it on. But then that should be stated at the beginning of the build.

[quote name='dazco' post='19996' date='Jun 19 2007, 01:05 AM']Just a quick load of questions from someone who knows nowt.

What if you have it made and it does not behave/play as you requested? Do you still have to go through with it, or do you fight them like you do with builders.

If you did get a custom build and after a while you realised your old Warwick Streamer was better, would you bite the bullet and admit it? I wouldn't.[/quote]

I understand what you're saying here mate cos the same questions are running round my head too. I think the thing thats swaying me towards a custom build is the whole thing of you get an insrument that looks the way you want it to and sounds the way you want it to. If it didn't play/sound the way I'd requested it to I would probably be a little miffed and ask the builder for a refund. To further what Sudgen said I don't think any bass I'd be inclined to order from a custom shop would be so "out there" that the builder wouldn't be able to sell it on if I didn't like it. At this stage its looking like it could end up being a Sandberg with a MM/J pickup config and switchable passive/active electronics because to be quite honest I haven't seen or played one that I didn't really really like.

[quote name='dazco' post='19996' date='Jun 19 2007, 01:05 AM']Just a quick load of questions from someone who knows nowt.

If you did get a custom build and after a while you realised your old Warwick Streamer was better, would you bite the bullet and admit it? I wouldn't.[/quote]

I had my first custom made cos I wanted a fretless with a neck exactly the same as my Ibanez Musician but half the weight. Thats what I got. I know Bernie had one difficult customer who wanted the neck thinner than he was prepared to make it - he gave the guy his money back. The guy gave him loads of grief cos the neck was thicker than his other customs that had all warped (I wonder why). I would have told him to profanity off!

I think you have to have a very good idea of what you want and discuss your requirements at some length to make sure they have got it. It helps if you are local and can try/change things as the build progresses.