Why become a member? ×

Lightweight amps - clarity in power ratings

wateroftyne

Hi all

I've just picked up my trusty Promethean head up from the Tech chap, after I thought it had developed a fault. (It turns out the amp is fine - it was a dodgy speaker cable).

Anyway, while trying to recreate the problem he ran various tests, and told me it puts out 330w into 4ohm and 120w into 8ohm.

...this is an amp that's marketed as 500w.

Now, I have no problems with the output of the amp - it's very loud, and Mr. Tech was very impressed with it.

But, assuming most class-D manufacturers are doing what TC do, i.e. being economical with the truth, isn't it time they followed EBS's lead, and stopped inflating the ratings?

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1346452806' post='1789572']
I think I saw a review of the orange terror that had it putting out a little over the stated watts, I'll see if I can find it again...
[/quote]

I can believe this, mine was insanely loud even into an 8ohm load.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1346452547' post='1789570']

But, assuming most class-D manufacturers are doing what TC do, i.e. being economical with the truth, isn't it time they followed EBS's lead, and stopped inflating the ratings?
[/quote]

Yes. Completely agree. I have stopped worrying about claimed power. If it does the job then it does the job.

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1346452806' post='1789572']
I think I saw a review of the orange terror that had it putting out a little over the stated watts, I'll see if I can find it again...
[/quote]

503 at 8 ohm and about 525 at 4 ohm, if i remember correctly. Though knowing me i'll be pretty far away with that.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1346460135' post='1789638']

503 at 8 ohm and about 525 at 4 ohm, if i remember correctly. Though knowing me i'll be pretty far away with that.

Liam
[/quote]

Cheers for that, I can't find the review for looking at the mo, was in a PDF issue of some online bass mag if I remember right?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1346452547' post='1789570']
Hi all

I've just picked up my trusty Promethean head up from the Tech chap, after I thought it had developed a fault. (It turns out the amp is fine - it was a dodgy speaker cable).

Anyway, while trying to recreate the problem he ran various tests, and told me it puts out 330w into 4ohm and 120w into 8ohm.

...this is an amp that's marketed as 500w.

Now, I have no problems with the output of the amp - it's very loud, and Mr. Tech was very impressed with it.

[/quote]
It does make you wonder how accurate the figures given by manufacturers are, and I'm sure 'spec inflation' goes on a lot more than we think.

Those figures are a little strange though - 330w at 4 ohms but only 120w at 8 ohms? I'm not tech savvy enough to know if that could be correct, but I was under the impression that even theoretically you can only double the wattage when the impedance is halved. I don't suppose it's possible there is some kind of fault with the amp that your tech has missed is there, or that he's made an error in testing the output?

All the figures I have heard the 8 ohm load is usually more than half of the 4 ohm, Mt Genz 6.0 is 600watts at 4 and 375 at 8 for example (allegedly) and the 3.0 300 at 4 ohms, 175 at 8 for example. Sounds wrong to me too although your point is still valid but as its almost impossible to do anything about it I will do as Nottswarwick does and just use the old lugholes to decide :)

I find it amusing in the Class D world that all the manufacturers have different claims as to the watts. They all use the same power section because Class D technology is patented and owned by B&O. If you open the amp up you will usually see the B&O ICE module in there separated from the rest. They are all pretty much the same. My Genz Benz claims to be 600w but has the 500w ICE module in it for example...

[url="http://www.icepower.dk/en/solutions/speaker/A_SERIES"]http://www.icepower.dk/en/solutions/speaker/A_SERIES[/url]

In reality, watts don't really matter as long as your amp is loud enough for what you need. And don't get me started on valve watts vs solid state watts!

Thinking about it, it could have been that 320/330w is the full output clean and that we've no idea what the distortion figure is for Ibanezes quoted wattage. Which is what Oli was saying.

A bit naughty is they're quoting a figure based on ridiculous amounts of distortion.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346488323' post='1789740']
still sounds wrong IMO, where are the resident experts when you need them...........
[/quote]

The chap who tested my amp is an expert if that helps. :)

Not being able to remember the figures he quoted to the exact watt is my fault.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1346488371' post='1789742']
I find it amusing in the Class D world that all the manufacturers have different claims as to the watts. They all use the same power section because Class D technology is patented and owned by B&O. If you open the amp up you will usually see the B&O ICE module in there separated from the rest. They are all pretty much the same. My Genz Benz claims to be 600w but has the 500w ICE module in it for example...

[url="http://www.icepower.dk/en/solutions/speaker/A_SERIES"]http://www.icepower....peaker/A_SERIES[/url]

In reality, watts don't really matter as long as your amp is loud enough for what you need. And don't get me started on valve watts vs solid state watts!
[/quote]

[url="http://www.icepower.dk/en/solutions/speaker/A_SERIES"]http://www.icepower....peaker/A_SERIES[/url]

[/quote]

But thats still using their quoted figures and that might be working on the amp working in a different way regarding clean outputs for normal music etc rather than instruments, also by your method the Streamliner 900 and Shuttle 9.0/9.2 are putting out 1000 watts rather than 900? Makes me want a 9.2 Max even more now :lol:

I find it amusing in the Class D world that all the manufacturers have different claims as to the watts. They all use the same power section because Class D technology is patented and owned by B&O. If you open the amp up you will usually see the B&O ICE module in there separated from the rest.
[/quote]
Patents on Class D amps go back to the early fifties, and while I don't doubt that B&O have patents on their implementation of the design they certainly don't have a monopoly on making Class D power modules.

So which model of module has the the 450 got then? Is the B&O rating false and its their fault TC got a slating for quoting their amp at 450 watts with a 500 watt module or has it got the same module as my Shuttle 3.0 which was naughty of Genz to call it 300 watts with the 250 module but no where near as naughty as TC for trying to claim it as 450?