Why become a member? ×

How to get those 'SEXY' notes into your bass lines! - Lesson with Scott Devine

devinebass

Hey guys - This is part 2 of my geometric shapes lesson.

A couple of weeks ago I told you about a pro bass player I'd been helping out...

When we met he was SO frustrated with his bass playing, as although he was a great reader and well-rounded technician, he was finding it really hard to come up with his own bass lines, grooves and runs etc.

So, I showed him how you can apply different shapes to different sounds on the fretboard, and almost instantly he was 'cooking on gas'!

In the last lesson I posted up, I took you through ALMOST all of what I taught him. However... because I didn't want to overload you with information, I left out what I like to call the 'SEXY' or 'JUICY' notes...

I'm sure you've listened to a bass line before and suddenly there is a super 'juicy' note that pops out... and you say [i]'Wow, what the heck is that?'[/i]

Well... In this new lesson I'll show you exactly what those notes are, and how you can use them in your own bass lines.

Check it out... [url="http://scottsbasslessons.com/how-to-get-those-sexy-notes-into-your-bass-lines-2"]Brand New Video Lesson[/url].

Over and out,

Scott.

The theory behind this I fully understand. And its fair to say most of us probably play these 'sexy' notes ALOT. But for me, the difference between me, and players like Scott is the vibrato, and the note-length-choice. ITs a pleasure to listen to, and its something I aspire to! Such a small thing, but IMO, takes a bass line to the next level!

One comment about sexy.
When Kate Moss wears a Top Shop tee shirt and skinny jeans. She is so sexy! Throw anything at Kate Moss and the result will be beautiful.
When Scott plays a blues scale, a 9th and a 6th, it is soooooo sexy. I bet Scott can take any scale/pattern and make something beautiful out of it.
I really dig the feel and the choice of notes in this video.