Why become a member? ×

Too much choice........

simes

Ok, I've lost my BC virginity and posted in the Introductions forum so now I'm getting brave and need to calm brough to my confused brain.

I want to up grade from my combo to a rig, I've researched here, there and everywhere. Took note of what other BC'ers say about various amp and cabs. Finaly decided on a EBS Reidmar (EBS highly recommend by my bass teacher). Found a company that can do a package of the head plus a pair of EBS classic 112's. Looking good so far.

Bassdirect do the same deal, but, recomend the Reidmar head with a pair of Genz Benz 112LT cabs. They have said more people are opting for this combination and it sounds better plus it's £70 cheaper.

I know GB are good gear as well. But, they just might have a shed load of GB cabs to shift.......

Advice, thoughts, a slap with a wet kipper..........anyone.....

Si

"Sounding better" as they quoted is a matter of personal [i]opinion[/i].
Sorry not be of much help but..
In my experience some cabs are more focused and punchy some have the mid- hump bump etc, I guess it all depends what your looking for...
I use a GB Neox 212 T, which suits me just fine down low and gives me enough punch as well. Trying to save yourself £70 and ending up with the wrong sound would be annoying. Never tried EBS gear, but heard a lot of good reports on it.
Some of the better companies will accept returns if your not happy with your purchase. It can be hard without trying out first and the amount of gear we have to choose from seems to make it harder.
I was lucky I was given the GB on a trial and only had to stomp up if I was happy with it, which I was.
Good luck and let us know what you do.

I assume you have ploughed thru this

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/159447-ebs-reidmar/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/159447-ebs-reidmar/[/url]

My gut feeling would be to stick with the EBS matchup.. but ideally I'd like to hear both set-ups.

I've have indeed checked out the Reidmar thread and very interesting it is....

Sound is such a subjective thing I like my tone not too bright and a touch mellow, only way I can describe it, guitarist/vocal and good friend I might add wants me to sound like double bass with 30yr old flat wounds on and prefered it when I played my old Squire P fretless with flats on but I paid for the Overwater/Tanglewood and I'm damn well going to use it. Can you be in love with an inanimate object.

After lots of trail and error eq'ing plus serious scouring of the BC forums for info I now have the tone I like from my combo but it can be under gunned gigging and feel an upgrade would be in order, plus, I would like to spread my musical wings in the future after learning some classic soul toons in my lessons.

Mmmmmmm a Genz head and cabs.......more choice.....more research.....I'd have a lie down if I wasn't at work......

Our mate Ed Friedland does some good reviews of the GB stuff. That's why I went all Genz Benz.

Worth a look at his channel if you haven't seen them before. Some of the newer models on there as well.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqancBS121M&feature=channel&list=UL[/media]

Edited by Highfox

Have you tried any of the rigs that you're looking at?
I thought I wanted a certain rig, tried it & didn't like it (just wasn't my sound). Ended up trying out tons of stuff & got a MarkBass combo in the end.

Your next holiday should incorporate a city with good bass shops & dedicate a day (or two) to rigs.

Have'nt tried anything yet bit of a trek from my neck of the woods to anywhere selling anything other than small combos. Glasgow 2hrs away, Newcastle 1 1/2 hrs. I am planning an away day soon and have been looking up music shops in these cities. Also have a weekend break coming up in Liverpool soon so I'll check out there as well. I will try before I buy.......like the look of the Markbass's as well.........oh god where's me medication......

Well I can give the EBS Reidmar a huge endorsement and the Classicline 110 cab. I have used the Reidmar for a while now and it is nothing short of astounding (in my opinion) It is the best sound I have ever had after years or Trace Elliot, Ashdown, MarkBass, and even my Epifani. The Classicline is also superb, powerful big sound and just the sweetest little cab I have ever seen. I dont use the Classicline for a full band situation and havent tried it to be honest, but I think I would want two of the 1x12 cabs for gigging.

I know its always good to try before you buy but its not always possible. I would say that you wouldn't be dissapointed with the EBS stuff if you just bought it unseen, worth looking at Thomann as well as when I bought my EBS cab they were a good few quid cheaper than Mark at Bass Direct and they were fantastic, really quick delivery. Saying that Mark is a top chap and no doubt he would price match or at least try to.

I still dont see why people begrudge spending a fraction of the cost of something to go and fetch it? Glasgow to Bassdirect in my wifes car would cost me £78 (I just google mapped it to check) If I was spending £1500-2000 (or £3500 on a bass as somone was the other day) I would just see it as an adventure, that £78 is going to look a bargain compared to what you are going to lose when it comes to selling the wrong amp after 6 months and doing the whole process all over again! That's worst case scenario, there must be somewhere nearer and a train may be even cheaper if you then had the stuff delivered to your home a few days later. :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346055676' post='1784430']
I still dont see why people begrudge spending a fraction of the cost of something to go and fetch it? Glasgow to Bassdirect in my wifes car would cost me £78 (I just google mapped it to check) If I was spending £1500-2000 (or £3500 on a bass as somone was the other day) I would just see it as an adventure, that £78 is going to look a bargain compared to what you are going to lose when it comes to selling the wrong amp after 6 months and doing the whole process all over again! That's worst case scenario, there must be somewhere nearer and a train may be even cheaper if you then had the stuff delivered to your home a few days later. :)
[/quote]

Where's the "Like" button when you need it!

I'd take a weekend away & make a holiday out of it.

I'm glad its not just me then :) If I had the funds I would take a Genz 9.2 MAX head and a Classic Ray 5 from Marks stock list right now, thats £2700 so I dont see why for most people where it would cost no more than £30-40 in fuel to get to a decent shop would buy without trying? Nowt as queer as folk as they say, I just hope someone buys either of the items above then hates them so I can buy them half price in the FS section on here ;)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346063338' post='1784618']
I'm glad its not just me then :) If I had the funds I would take a Genz 9.2 MAX head and a Classic Ray 5 from Marks stock list right now, thats £2700 so I dont see why for most people where it would cost no more than £30-40 in fuel to get to a decent shop would buy without trying? Nowt as queer as folk as they say, I just hope someone buys either of the items above then hates them so I can buy them half price in the FS section on here ;)
[/quote]

You`re so mercenary, Pete :lol:

Thanks for the advice etc people it's much appreciated, the more I hear about Bass Direct the more I want to go there and an away day in the not to distant future is definatly on the cards. It's true that the traveling cost wil be a fraction of what I might spend so what the hell probably even over night in a hotel and tell my beloved it's a romantic break for us ;).

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346070949' post='1784805']
Warwick castle, Shakespear etc its all very romantic and well worth a visit, especially the industrial estate where the Bard wrote much of his stuff :lol:
[/quote]

I make a pilgrimage every year.
Sometimes I get to look at the sites too!!
I was looking at the the classic 5 last night, It ticks all the right boxes.