Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass on a budget (finally finished with pics) and Jazz Bass Mk 2 on even less of a budget!

DarkHeart

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1349023111' post='1820781']
what dont you rate about the Bartolinis? ive never owned any as ive never really had a good enough bass to justify buying decent pups for but i think im going to with this one, bare in mind i play in a rock band and never solo haha
[/quote]

oh, they're good, but my limited experience leads me to think they generally have their own type of sound, rather than the more "traditional" one expected from either a J type, or an MM type... I guess I'm a bit more traditional wanting a Jazz to sound Jazz-like... but Bartolinis are not bad. For the price quoted, it may be worth getting them to try... if not happy, I'm sure you will not have much trouble to sell them on again

It depends on the model of Bart though. They have so many different versions of J pickups, and nothing to tell them apart besides some writing on the underside. Some bright, some dark, some hum cancelling, some voiced modernly, etc, etc.

Lovely bass, btw, completely gorgeous.

Edited by Darkstrike

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1349095596' post='1821651']
Damn, no Bartolinis for me outbid in the last seconds :-(
[/quote]

Yup. I got them! They looked interesting... so I bid.

:lol: nah, only joking, of course!

frustrating when you think you have a good chance and then... it goes in the last minute (probably literally!)

Keep your eyes open, lots of different interesting pickups come and go on eBay.

This is inspirational! I'm off to ebay to hunt down a Jazz body! haha It really does look sensational. I agree with going back to black pickup covers, and I think I'd prefer a more traditional pickguard BUT it really looks immense.

I may have missed it, but how does it play? Does it feel good? Or does it feel like a 'cheap' bass? Once I get my pedal board sorted, I think a wee project like this could be on the cards! I'l use this thread to draw inspiration!

it plays really well and doesnt sound too bad either if im honest (i probably dont need new pups but you know how it is ;) ) i dont really have much experience of guitar exotica but this plays easily as well as my 5 string rockbass streamer which is the most expensive bass ive owned but dare i say that this looks better :)

i went to buy some ash earlier to make a bass body from, but the ever helpful people in the shop said that the only ash they had that would suit my job was rough sawn timber. the only issue was, you have to buy the entire length (nearly 10 foot). so i was thinking, cut it up, and make a few blanks from it and see if any guys on here had interest in them? they wouldn't be routed or anything, but it would be dried properly and i will match the grains up well :)

@Milton
Yeah I'd love a blank if there's one going begging! Of course I'll pay for it, PM if you go ahead with the plan. I refuse to pay £55 or whatever it is from tone tech!

Anyway, the jazz looks great! A small detail, but my favourite bits are the tuners. Very cool!

Alex

Yip - just checked it out again - like the pickguard choice & the logo is total class!! The bridge looks like a serious bit of gear too.

Now I've got a Jazz but i would think about floggiing it to get funds to buy stuff to build my own masterpiece , or the " Homer Simpson Spicerack" version!!

Well done inspirational indeed.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1349221398' post='1823636']
@Milton
Yeah I'd love a blank if there's one going begging! Of course I'll pay for it, PM if you go ahead with the plan. I refuse to pay £55 or whatever it is from tone tech!

Anyway, the jazz looks great! A small detail, but my favourite bits are the tuners. Very cool!

Alex
[/quote]

was thinking more like £15-£20. i couldn't charge £55, that is just stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some vintage fender reissue pups fitted now, some fender tuners in the post and a neck plate with the `F` for Funder logo etched on it there will probably be one last pic in the thread before i start on its brother, im going to strip a squire precision back to the wood, oil it wax it get and the same colour scratchplate although i will leave the logo alone in the words of Arnie "I`ll be back" ;)

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1346696216' post='1792061']
haha yeah football, big news today is...............we have a neck!

Ta Da!

fits nice and snug just waiting for the tuners and neck plate then thats all the bits sorted.
[/quote]

Loving the bass mate and I'm tempted to do the same with an old 88 squier jazz I have in the attic.
But that black away kit is horrible !!!

dont know whether to just tag my second Jazz on the end of this thread or start a new one? Anyway here are the pics of the latest body courtesy of b/c`er umcoo

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/SNV80277.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/SNV80276.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/SNV80278.jpg[/IMG]

ive got a tort scratchplate to go one this one, let the sanding begin! :D