Why become a member? ×

You're All I Need To Get By - Aretha version. Who played bass?

4 Strings

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1345675881' post='1780500']
I have the pleasure of studying this track as a cover, apart from the hair prickling singing and the lovely string parts, the bass playing is outstanding but I don't know who played.

Any ideas anyone?
[/quote]
The 'Live at the Filmore' version is, I believe, Jerry Jemmott.

I love that song, especially the end section, just gorgeous. I concur that it was Chuck Rainey. For a similar style, check out Aretha's versions of 'Holy Moses (Border Song)' and 'Young Gifted and Black'. Chuck again.

Edit. Oops, too early in the morning! For some reason I was thought you were enquiring about 'The Long and winding Road' version.
Re. 'You're all I need to get by', I have the live versions that she did at the Filmore West with Jerry J, but not the studio version - will check it out!

Edited by Roland Rock

Chuck would make sense, thanks, especially that sort slappy bit right at the beginning. Where do you find out from google?

Def not JJ, the Tammi Terrell/Marvin Gaye version def is JJ (also superb bass playing, a classic!).

It seems to me like a semi-written bass part, ie some sections are required to follow other instruments and repeats etc whereas others the bass player is allowed to vamp and the bass player hasn't been able to develop it much but, from his experience and ability, interprets the music with panache.

One day, I'll get there. One day.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1345720928' post='1780812']
Chuck would make sense, thanks, especially that sort slappy bit right at the beginning. Where do you find out from google?

Def not JJ, the Tammi Terrell/Marvin Gaye version def is JJ (also superb bass playing, a classic!).

It seems to me like a semi-written bass part, ie some sections are required to follow other instruments and repeats etc whereas others the bass player is allowed to vamp and the bass player hasn't been able to develop it much but, from his experience and ability, interprets the music with panache.

One day, I'll get there. One day.
[/quote]
Careful because there are two JJs here - James Jamerson and Jerry Jemmott (who is definitely on the 'Live at the Filmore' Aretha version)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1345678127' post='1780530']
The 'Live at the Filmore' version is, I believe, Jerry Jemmott.
[/quote]

+1 it seems :)

[url="http://www.allmusic.com/album/live-at-fillmore-west-mw0000107829/credits"]http://www.allmusic.com/album/live-at-fillmore-west-mw0000107829/credits[/url]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1345681001' post='1780552']
My Google search found that Chuck Rainey is credited as bass player.
[/quote]

My guess, and this really was a guess, would have been that it was Jerry Jemmott. He started paying with her in 1968 and played on Live at Filmore in 1971 so the dates could match up. Having said that, Jemmott, Rainey and Tommy Cogbill (and probably many many more) all played with her around this era.

However, as always I bow to the superor knowledge of the google search ;)

It is indeed Chuck on the studio version and Jerry jemott on the live version. The studio version was one of three new tracks specially recorded to be included on Arethas' 1971 Greatest Hits compilation, presumably around the same time as the sessions for Young ,Gifted And Black, which featured Chuck on bass exclusively. For the Filmore recordings , made in the era immidiately preceding these sessions , she was essentially using King Curtis' live band, featuring Jerry Jemmott et. al.

Jerry Jermott' playing at Fillmore doesn't sound like the studio track, which I would have guessed it would if he'd played on the recording. I'm staying with Rainey (or Kaye!)

The Fillmore one seems to get slower!

As for the original, apart from having a bit of a soft spot for Tammi Terrell, I have to say the other JJ is an expert at this isn't he?

the album contyaining the studio version is credited with several bass players on allmusic page but doesnt specify which is which unless you have access to cover or sleeve notes - although from the wee clip available on allmusic my first guess would be ron carter

Ron Carter? New one on me

Btw, regarding Carol Kaye, have a look here, scroll down to where 'Bernadette' is in blue and go up 3-4 lines.

http://www.carolkaye.com/www/library/basshits.htm

This refers to the Diana Ross version here.

http://youtu.be/Qj0wQB9_tBY

I can go along with this. Its good bass playing, of course, but I think with all due respect to Carol (and plenty is due) this is an example of why she's famous for paying bass on so many tracks rather than for her inspirational playing. Its pretty clearly a written line, virtually identical to Jamerson's (apart from the dreadful intro and the slower tempo sapping some life) but without the colour. The mono-tonic rhythm is more precise and repeated and there is little flourish. Jamerson was able to (and did) do those without sounding too busy or flash and had floods of feel.

There's a Dionne Warwick version too, I'd let Kaye have that one too if she wants.

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1345730628' post='1781001']
the album contyaining the studio version is credited with several bass players on allmusic page but doesnt specify which is which unless you have access to cover or sleeve notes - although from the wee clip available on allmusic my first guess would be ron carter
[/quote]

It's quoted as several players because it's on a greatest hits compilation. The new tracks included on the compilation , including the one in question, were all played by on by Rainey.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1345734849' post='1781058']
It's quoted as several players because it's on a greatest hits compilation. The new tracks included on the compilation , including the one in question, were all played by on by Rainey.
[/quote]

Odd that a greatest hits lp had some tracks especially made for it. Glad they did.