Why become a member? ×

Ex "name" amps don't attract same inflated prices as ex "name" guitars?

Big_Stu

Borrowed this link off Plexi Palace...........
[url="http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19800/lot/198/"]http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19800/lot/198/[/url]

The more Hiwatt knowledgeable than me on PP are a bit doubtful of the provenance of this amp - an alleged ex Pink Floyd Hiwatt 200. But taking the sale at face value an ex big name band valve amp hasn't cost that much more than a bog standard 200 would. Why is this? if it had been Gilmour's own personal black Strat I would guess it would have cost an arm & a leg.

Is it because amps are more prone to ageing badly; too cumbersome, too "old technology", not as iconic, not as specific to the user, what?

Its because their so called evidence it was Pink Floyds is a picture of a 100 that doesn't even look the same, and he didn't use 200s, he used modified 50s and 100s that were modified from standard ones, rather than custom built (and possibly Hiwatt modified Sound Citys). Once htat bit is BS, you head toward it being a genuine Hiwatt at all being BS, since Music ground faked loads for PAs and Sound Citys, which puts it behind a standard one.

I think that ex name basses/guitars have more value because they are often easier to identify, and there will be plenty more pics of the artist with it. The physical contact/connection with an instrument is worth a lot - 'this is the bass that xxxxx played' is much cooler than 'this is the amp that xxxxx played through'.

There is also the wear and tear issue. Personally, I'd view a well worn ex name P as 'mojo', whereas with an amp, I'd be more concerned about how much it had been abused over the years, and how much life it has left in it. I once saw an 'ex-Mani' SWR bass cab in Leeds, but the thought of the life of excess that this may have led was quite off putting.

I'd suggest it has less to do with the name and more to do with the place of that piece of kit in musical history. The price of the sold items at Entwhistles auction are an example of that in practice. Incidentally, there's a similar thing with cars owned by celebs too. One ex-Elton John Rolls Royce lost its subsequent owner money despite there being clear provenance.

Hmm, yeah - I like "physical contact" idea; mojo rather than a tool. Funny that "wear & tear" on an amp is "road-worn" on an instrument, that could also be accounted by, bar a total Townsend type smash-up, a guitar is more maintainable in safe way & usable way than an amp.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1345633274' post='1779678']One ex-Elton John Rolls Royce lost its subsequent owner money despite there being clear provenance.[/quote] Was there a reason for that? More prone to theft - insurance cover type thing? Or someone else, like myself, with a huge loathing of EJ?

Though MG aren't mentioned, last I looked, it could be an inference that the provenance is hookie for that reason, that dodgy provenances are now known to be in circulation. Scarey thought that, in a few years - once MG are faded into history their legacy, mostly forged could well be accepted as genuine.

Edited by Big_Stu

I think it was mentioned on Top Gear...just part of the cooling off once the global recession kicked in. An ex-celeb car isn't as valued by the market as some sellers believe, unless there's some motoring history attached to it.

If you buy an instrument, it's likely to be something that the artist has had with them, maybe written songs on, been inspired by. That's not to mention that pictures may have it in, it could be in CD sleeves, it's been sweated on by the artist etc.

An amp is something they might not even have seen. It's probably set up during soundcheck by a roadie, then packed down by a roadie. It might not even live with the artist, there's no reason for there to be a strong connection there. If someone swapped my amp for an identical one, I probably wouldn't notice. If they swapped my bass, I'd instantly know because I spend hours each week (when I don't have a broken knuckle..) holding and playing it.

Could it be that, non musician, collectors like instruments to display on walls. An amp wouldn't have the same 'wow' factor to them.
e.g. A big black box with knobs on isn't as exciting to them as a Gilmour Strat.

Years ago I picked up a Trace Elliot MP11 that had, apparently, been used by Entwistle in his tour rig. It cost £99.

Don't have it any more though... :-(

Edited by bartelby

I think that bass players tend to be a lot more practical and down to earth about this kind of thing. I bought 4 old Fenders in about 1988 from the Bass Centre (ex-Entwistle P-basses - 1953, 1961 and 1962) and a 1966 slab body P-bass. The most expensive was the '53 (as you might expect) and it cost me £995.

Fast forward to today and look at the length of time that Norman Watt-Roy's Jazz bass hung around while more expensive but earlier and more original basses got sold.

I don't think bass players are quite as 'gullible' as guitarists - and quite right too!!

There was an ex Darkness Boogie cab and some ex Coldplay stuff around recently. Not sure how they sold but the prices didn't seem much beyond the standard price.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1345799541' post='1781613']
Could it be that, non musician, collectors like instruments to display on walls. An amp wouldn't have the same 'wow' factor to them.
e.g. A big black box with knobs on isn't as exciting to them as a Gilmour Strat.[/quote]

Good point, I've been to a fair few Hard Rock Cafe's and never seen an amp bolted to the wall.

............ or one of Gary Glitter's silver suits.

I was seriously considering (still am) selling on my Noddy's Hiwatt, but a few gut shots have shown it needs a cap job, so I ain't risking even firing it up until that's done.

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1345809140' post='1781802']
[i]My Acoustic 370 Amp is stencilled up with Steps, does that make it more valuable? :D [/i]
[/quote]

No, it just means some health & safety guy had it lined up to be used instead of a pair of step-ladders. :lol:

Also had it confirmed by speaker codes that my cab is a Hiwatt 4122 (guitar OR bass) not a 4123 (guitar only) that it was sold as ............... which was nice!

Edited by Big_Stu