Why become a member? ×

Opeth - Union Chapel - 16 Nov

wally8

Morning All

Just thought I would spread the love and enquire if anyone is going to see acoustic Opeth set in london in Nov. The tickets all sold out ages ago but i found a few on ebay.

Its going to be mega

I feel like a right fanboy as ive also booked tickets to see them in nottingham rock city the same week !!!

Best band for a long time - IMO

Edited by wally8

[indent=1]Saw them in London for their Ghost Reveries tour, my fave album! :)[/indent]
[indent=1]Haven't quite gotten into Heritage, but then I haven't given it the time it no-doubt needs![/indent]

[indent=1]Si[/indent]

A mate of mine is trying to persuade me to go see them in Nottingham, mainly due to the support act (Anathema) that we've seen before and were quite interesting. Need to hear some more Opeth to get convinced. Some of what I've heard is OK apart from the silly grunty metal vocal stuff that comes in to some songs. At least that's been ditched on the latest album.

Thats the beauty of Opeth for me, the soft and metal vocals. I'm a huge fan of the melodic stuff but its also nice to have some metal riffing along the way with shouty stuff - a head banging song with death vocals along with nice intricate riffs and nice clean vocals - great stuff.

I cant think of another band who does the change as well as peth. Opeth melodies and song structures are so memorable and catchy

Listen to Still Life = epic. Then work your way up from that. Ghost reveries is also a perfect place to start. If you like his clean vocals then damnation is a winner.

Heritage is a bit so/so for me. Some crackers on there, but he let himself down with some of the lyrics. Folklore of that album has lyrics like "hey you, will you, be true" and "feel the pain, in your brain, insane". hhahahahahahahahaha - stuff i would write. the song itself is excellent tho. Compare that to the earlier stuff which is like amazing poetry!!! The 2 bonus tracks of that album pyre and face in the snow should of been on the actual album.

Do i sound obsessed! :)

Edited by wally8

Bloody f***ing love Opeth I do.

Saw them in Exeter during the Reveries tour and also at download the year before.

Still Life must surely be an extreme metal classic album. White Cluster is a masterpiece. Akerfeldts lyrics and voice really set Opeth apart from other death/doom/black/folk metal bands.

I actually think Blackwater Park's my favourite. Leper Affinity and The Drapery Falls are awesome songs!

Truckstop

I bloody f***ing love Anathema I do.

Saw them a while back with My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost. Amazing gig!

I'm not sure whether I prefer the proper old doom Anathema or the newer, more prog style. Both great though; Barriers is an awesome song.

Truckstop

Blackwater park is a belter, but then anything still life onwards, for me is amazing start to finish. The early stuff is great live now, but the production and vocals on the actual albums are a bit poor and put me off a bit. My arms is pretty tasty though.

Much love for the Peth. Lets hope the acoustic set isnt full of the usual Opeth clown fanbase that shout "play something heavy" at every [size=4]o[font=Arial][color="#000000"]pportunity. Bumpkins. Go a see lawnmower death and pig destroyer if you want chainsaw guitars and noise.[/color][/font][/size]

The Union Chapel is a fantastic venue!
Saw Clint Mansell and the Sonus Quartet there a few years back.

I'm a fan of Opeth too, but I didn't get into Heritage at all. And to be honest the acoustic portion of the show, on the last tour, bored the pants off me.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1345032668' post='1772571']
The Union Chapel is a fantastic venue!
Saw Clint Mansell and the Sonus Quartet there a few years back.

I'm a fan of Opeth too, but I didn't get into Heritage at all. And to be honest the acoustic portion of the show, on the last tour, bored the pants off me.
[/quote]

Heritage is weird - ive given it ages, excited me first few times round now it is probably my least listened to of the albums.

Noooooooooooo - the acoustic bit was cool - esp that tune "throat of winter" off the god of war soundtrack. The guitar work on that is ludecrous. If this acoustic set is similar to that double set they did for the lamentations gig which included almost if not all of damnation, it will be wet pants all round!!

[quote name='christhammer666' timestamp='1345066796' post='1773241']
see em at the albert hall for the blackwater park 10th anniversary 3hours of pure bliss best gig ever
[/quote]

X20 to that. Mindblowing. Apart from when poor Freds guitar stopped working through lotus eater. I nearly sh*t myself when they played harlequin forest and the moor.

[quote name='wally8' timestamp='1345035531' post='1772653']
Noooooooooooo - the acoustic bit was cool - esp that tune "throat of winter" off the god of war soundtrack. The guitar work on that is ludecrous. If this acoustic set is similar to that double set they did for the lamentations gig which included almost if not all of damnation, it will be wet pants all round!!
[/quote]

Might not have been helped by the fact I saw them at the O2 Academy in Bristol, which usually has the worst sound of any venue ever.