Why become a member? ×

Cover songs and you tube...

ken_white

I used to have a lot of covers on YouTube with my old band.

The management company for the Rolling Stones didn't like it much and got my site pulled :(

I lost heart for a while and have not posted any covers since on YouTube.

My new band uses Lemonrock.co.uk as that pays the PRS licence for covers posted.

Interesting to see, but I don't go out of my way to search them out, unless just possibly I'm trying to work something out & another persons view/way of doing something might give a pointer to a bit I can't get (though more often than not I am unconvinced by the example and let it pass me by)

Personally I tend to avoid the headless "here's my version of [i]insert song title[/i]" 'cos I recognise that there are othes far better qualified than me. I put full band covers up to the bands YT channel

I look up bass covers every now and then, if i need help for learning the bass part of a song i would check youtube. Also, like someone else said before, you can see how you are ranked in the world of bass playing too! I will be doing one soon to get feedback, but just trying to pluck up the courage :)

no harm in it i say

[quote name='ken_white' timestamp='1344899287' post='1770966']
I got a couple up there, but i'm not sure if i'll put any more up. They don't seem to get many hits! lol

I can understand recording yourself for personal development, but don't get uploading to you tube.

I could be wrong though! lol
[/quote]

Uploading to YouTube just means other people can see them, wider spectrum of advice from others as well as it saves up a few Mb on the laptop/computer.

I follow an american guy who has really great feel. He came from a similair position to me (stopped playing for years then started again). He was a real inspiration towards me getting going again and he is a cool player (looks a bit like Vigo Mortensen too ladies...). Had some great chats about gear, technique and music.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-fGSyB2Dc&feature=plcp[/media]

Also this guy is pretty cool too - also follow him

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUiBEZZpgqU&feature=context-cha[/media]

Edited by Nibody

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1344900867' post='1770976']
Uploading to YouTube just means other people can see them, wider spectrum of advice from others as well as it saves up a few Mb on the laptop/computer.
[/quote]Trouble is the YT comments so often seem to be either incredibly good, or viciously bad with very little helpful stuff in the middle.

Also I often wonder quite why some people would want others to see them when many are positively dreadful, unless they have some hopelessly over inflated view of their abilities. They often either get unhelpful "[i]wow that's really good maaaaan[/i]", or vitriolic put down that just leads to a flame war

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1344929119' post='1771088']
Trouble is the YT comments so often seem to be either incredibly good, or viciously bad with very little helpful stuff in the middle.

Also I often wonder quite why some people would want others to see them when many are positively dreadful, unless they have some hopelessly over inflated view of their abilities. They often either get unhelpful "[i]wow that's really good maaaaan[/i]", or vitriolic put down that just leads to a flame war
[/quote]

Your not wrong, i think that youtube is not the best place for constructive criticism as not everyone is bass players, but i can see the use if your linking to somewhere like here!

I also think that yes it can be useful for reference on occasions!