Why become a member? ×

New Amp Day. Ashdown 550 spyder. Definately broken.

deanovw

Hi everyone.

Just took delivery of an Ashdown 550 spyder. :D

It doesn't work. :(

All I can get out of it is a quiet farty signal. Thats with the gain and master on full.

Its through a Barefaced compact that works 100%. All cables swapped to eliminate those.

Any ideas as to what might be the issue?

Thanks,

Edited by deanovw

Panic over.

I left it for 10 mins. No change.

I then switched it off and on again and it jumped into life!!!!! Blimey this thing is loud!

Phew, sorry for the panic. Must have been grumpy from the journey???

All good now.

As you were.

No warranty. I bought it used. The seller did an excellent job of packaging it.

It may have had a knock form the courier or it may have been condensation form the journey.

I am a little wary but I have an excellent amp engineer I know, so if it continues I will get him to give it the once over,

Fingers crossed.

Most likely issue with any valve (or hybrid valve) amp is a dodgy valve. If it happens again try swapping out any pre-amp valves. Can't remember how many there are in the Spyder but I'm pretty sure it has at least one critical valve gain stage.
All the best with it !!

Thanks Hamfist, good info.

This is from the Ashdown site:
The 550 touring and spyder are hybrid amplifiers that feature a valve
preamp with two ECC 83 (12AX7) valves and the semiconductor power
section from the world renowned ABM 500.

Edited by deanovw

Congrats on the amp! I got it's little cousin a while back - the 220 Touring combo and just love it. Did you see Walbassist's youtube vid demoing his? Really interesting to sit back and hear the different sounds.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8QibZQbxSc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8QibZQbxSc[/url]

Edited by Mornats

Yeah they do sound gnarly. Ok, now this isn't the best recording (just recorded with my iPhone placed on a chair at rehearsal) and also the start was me just playing too fast to grab my drummer and guitarist's attention. I didn't expect them to join in! Anyway, ignore the totally dodgy timing at the beginning. (This is an Ashdown 220 Touring combo rather than the Spyder but it's the same pre-amp)

[url="http://soundcloud.com/mornats/money-band-rehearsal-with"]http://soundcloud.com/mornats/money-band-rehearsal-with[/url]

This is my Overwater with bass and treble flat and rolled on to the neck pup by about 1cm. I honestly can't remember the amp's setting other than I'd plugged my active bass into the passive input (it's fine to do that, the manual says so) and whacking the gain up full. I'm tempted to pop some JJ's in there as Walbassist did on his but I'm too scared to open up an amp!

I am thinking the valves might be dead.

This is what is happening.

'Turn on your amp and listen for a dull sound or what sounds like a blown, flabby speaker. If, after about five or ten minutes the sound goes away, that means your tubes are bad. When all of your tubes are completely dead, the sound will never go away'

Any thoughts?

Edited by deanovw

It does sound like it may be the valves, but I'd recommend getting in touch with the seller to see if its ever behaved like this before, as it may well have taken a knock in transit (which they could claim for).

However, I swapped out the valves in my 550 when I got it, so I can send you the original valves if you wanted to test them?

Hi Guybrush,

The seller has offered a refund which is really good of him. The amp was fine when it left his care.

In my very limited knowledge I would guess its the valves. I am happy to swap them over and hope it sorts the problem. Your offer of sending your valves is extremely kind and I would be keen on this. Pm me any details about how I can get the valves to me so i cant get it sorted. I want to get the amp working.

Update.

I am sending the amp back for a full refund. The seller has been really cool about it. I feel bad for him and disappointed to be sending it back.

So the search starts again for a valve head at a reasonable price. Any ideas?

:D

Well the ABM500 has a mixable valve and SS pre, and the same output stage as the Spyder. Usable compressor (even though everyone will disagree with me there, but it works ok for me).

The Orange Terror Bass is another alternative: basic tone section, but its natural tone is just remarkably good in the first place.

I have both, and prefer the ABM over the Terror Bass. The main advantage of the TB is size and weight.

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1345062773' post='1773154']
If I can get one at the right price I probably will. :D
[/quote]

How about [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashdown-Spyder-550-Bass-Head-Amp-with-Thon-Flight-Case-/120964981071?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item1c2a13214f"]this[/url], a rack mount UK made one?

Edited by walbassist

Yep, seen that. Keeping an eye on it. B)

It is collection only and I am in Cornwall though. :(

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1345063586' post='1773174']
Ho

How about [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashdown-Spyder-550-Bass-Head-Amp-with-Thon-Flight-Case-/120964981071?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item1c2a13214f"]this[/url], a rack mount UK made one?
[/quote]

Edited by deanovw