Why become a member? ×

For the discerning player: A Wishbass

Sambrook

You'll enjoy the story on this one, if nothing else.
I bought this last year, as a project, imported from the States, all legal like.
It's a very beautiful bass (I think), made from really gorgeous persimmon (American ebony), with an authentic chunk missing in the upper bout!
I have shaped the bass, and applied half a dozen coats of Danish Oil, which has brought out the grain beautifully. The 'hole' in the upper bout I lined with gold ink (for that hidden treasure look) then varnished thoroughly, so that nothing more is coming out.
I sanded the fingerboard flat, oiled it, then covered it with Rustin's resin finish, which gives a lovely smooth satin look, really hard finish.
I then fitted straplocks, and Thomastik Infeld flatwound strings.
The result is a bass which sounds wonderful. The tone is deep and clear (it's a great pickup, that can be coil-tapped), and it growls like a grumpy pit bull. The neck is a lovely thick chunk, that has a steel rod in for strength.
SO, that's all the positives. Here come the negatives-
1. The bass arrived with a snapped headstock, due to poor packaging. I glued and clamped it, and it has worked fine ever since, but it looks like it's been in the wars. I used some maple wood filler here and there, which shows.
2. I attempted some improvements to the electronics, fitting a coil-tap switch, and a tone knob. These both worked well enough to show me the potential, but I couldn't do it properly (small cavity, thick fingers, lack of patience), and made myself give up when I started snapping at my wife. So there are four holes drilled, but only one occupied (I wired the pickup straight to the jack)
3. And this is the kicker- it has woodworm!! Some of those telltale little holes have appeared around the break in the headstock. It's a first in my experience- a bass with woodworm (could I claim that as relicing?)
I know nothing about woodworm, and no time/inclination to learn. It might be an easy fix, but I can't cope with any more surprises, so I'm cutting my losses.

So it's for sale at £95.00. That's way less than I paid, and I've spent a fair bit on it, but if there's a bass playing, woodworm expert, part-time luthier reading this, I've got your next project! I'm also open to trades for a four string fretless, preferably with a chunky neck.

Thanks for reading!
[attachment=11499:DSCF1215.JPG][attachment=114992:DSCF1216.JPG][attachment=114993:DSCF1218.JPG][attachment=114994:DSCF1219.JPG][attachment=114995:DSCF1220.JPG][attachment=114996:DSCF1221.JPG][attachment=114997:DSCF1222.JPG][attachment=114998:DSCF1224.JPG][attachment=114999:DSCF1227.JPG][attachment=115000:DSCF1229.JPG]

Edited by Sambrook

If you have found woodworm holes that weren't there previously, it's where the little blighters have eaten their way out and buggered off to start munching away at any other timber that takes their fancy.

Good news is the bass may well now be free of woodworm.

The bad news, your house may crumble in to a pile of dust :rolleyes:

Haha, that made me laugh at far to loud a volume for this time in the morning!

Good news! Woodworm free bass...
Bad news... No house!

The man has a point though, what are the little bastards eating now if they've escaped the woody prison of your bass?

That sounds like a superduper low budget bass, for the fixer,dont bee so afraid they will eat your haus,
but I vood bee paranoid if I had a 60xtis Fender annywere near, that thing(ha ha ha)
anny way it sounds like a good deal, you are offering! and funny.

good luck with the sale!
for the price great bass!

I came here to correct a statement about soft and hardwood infestation but the author must have realised it was balls and deleted it. :D
Fact of the matter is that they can go for most woods but only specific parts of the wood are of interest to them ie they don't like heartwood. I've seen ancient oak beams riddled with worm (my dad has a Tudor country house in Suffolk - incase you are confused as to why a NE Scot should have experience of an oak timberd building ;) ) but they only look at the outer layers.

One of the best ways to check if your woodworm is active is to tap the suspect wood and see if sawdust comes out the holes - the fresher looking the sawdust the more likely it is to have been made recently.

Don't worry about your house or it's contents disappearing overnight as most modern construction timber is treated and your furniture, other basses etc will be coated with distasteful (to them) materials. Besides, when the adult beetles emerge they must find a partner to mate with... it is unlikely that they will find one in your house so the will either find their way outside or die a virgin inside.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1344247898' post='1761571']
I came here to correct a statement about soft and hardwood infestation but the author must have realised it was balls and deleted it. :D
Fact of the matter is that they can go for most woods but only specific parts of the wood are of interest to them ie they don't like heartwood. I've seen ancient oak beams riddled with worm (my dad has a Tudor country house in Suffolk - incase you are confused as to why a NE Scot should have experience of an oak timberd building ;) ) but they only look at the outer layers.

One of the best ways to check if your woodworm is active is to tap the suspect wood and see if sawdust comes out the holes - the fresher looking the sawdust the more likely it is to have been made recently.

Don't worry about your house or it's contents disappearing overnight as most modern construction timber is treated and your furniture, other basses etc will be coated with distasteful (to them) materials. Besides, when the adult beetles emerge they must find a partner to mate with... it is unlikely that they will find one in your house so the will either find their way outside or die a virgin inside.
[/quote]
Sex and drugs and rock n roll!

[quote name='Sambrook' timestamp='1344268865' post='1762005']
Thanks Outshined, for the reassurance. When we discovered the holes, my wife banished the bass to the shed, for fear of infestation!
[/quote]

Is the shed still there? :P

I just had a look on wikipedia for Wishbass to find out where in the States they are made to see if they have a specific type of woodworm there or any other wood-eating pests which might give the appearance of woodworm and may in fact be worse than our woodworm... it doesn't look like it btw.
But WOAH has anyone read Wishnevsky's wikipedia entry.... a lot of hate going on there... and I mean a lot. :o

It does not look like the break is across the nut, so that's not so bad. Wishbasses sound fantastic, I should know, I've got two of them. But for any buyer they must be seen as a project... Maybe make her headless with a tune-y bridge, who knows?

You can do some really nice stuff with them..

[url="http://www.davesbassplace.com/DavesBassPlace/Refinishing.html"]http://www.davesbassplace.com/DavesBassPlace/Refinishing.html[/url]

And she's a 10th anniversary Hipper... Cool!

Good luck with the sale! :)

I've spoken to Wish about this, he has had no reports of other wood from the 100 board feet that came from having worms, but maybe people consider it a 'feature'. The thing I thought was selling turns out not to be, so I'm not buying this immediately like I thought I was, but still might.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1344302608' post='1762605']
I've spoken to Wish about this, he has had no reports of other wood from the 100 board feet that came from having worms, but maybe people consider it a 'feature'. The thing I thought was selling turns out not to be, so I'm not buying this immediately like I thought I was, but still might.
[/quote]

Do you think the wood-worm are from the UK, after all they appear around the break. If this bass was lacquered, then the break in transit exposes the naked wood to nasties? Possible?

[quote name='Sambrook' timestamp='1344268865' post='1762005']
Thanks Outshined, for the reassurance. When we discovered the holes, my wife banished the bass to the shed, for fear of infestation!
[/quote]

Sounds like you have one of the unique semi-hollow ones, could be worth more?

[u]Sounds like you have one of the unique semi-hollow ones, could be worth more [/u]

[u] ipb.global.registerReputation( 'rep_post_1762635', { domLikeStripId: 'like_post_1762635', app: 'forums', type: 'pid', typeid: '1762635' }, parseInt('') );[/u]

[u][color=#0000cd][color=#0000cd]Good selling point[/color][/color][/u]