Why become a member? ×

B@stard

davehux

I had a sniper bid ready to go on this item, and he obviously panicked and pulled it just before the end.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170889897925#ht_2030wt_922

Now relisted with a reserve. Might bid, might just tell him to poke it

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr I hate that!!!

The Ebay policy says:

[size=4][i][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sellers are not allowed to cancel bids or end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price. This is considered to be a violation of ou[/font][/color][/i][/size][i][size=4][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]r [/font][/color][/size][url="http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-reserve.html"]reserve price policy[/url][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1].[/size][/font][/color][/i]

[quote name='Ashborygirl' timestamp='1344175604' post='1760693']
The Ebay policy says:

[size=4][i][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sellers are not allowed to cancel bids or end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price. This is considered to be a violation of ou[/font][/color][/i][/size][i][size=4][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]r [/font][/color][/size][url="http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-reserve.html"]reserve price policy[/url][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1].[/size][/font][/color][/i]
[/quote]

I thought there was a time limit on ending listings early on ebay?

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1344172831' post='1760660']
If you wanted the item you should have bid on it. Your fault for counting on a snipe. It is his item and has the right to do it.
[/quote]

If I bid, or snipe, it's my choice. As you've seen, pulling an auction just because you think it won't reach a certain price is against eBay rules, and hacks off many people like me who are keen to bid.

It's not possible to end an auction that has less than 12 hours to run, regardless of the circumstances. It is possible to end an auction early if there is more than 12 hours left but only in certain circumstances. If you can't prove you meet one of these circumstances your eBay agreement effectively obliges you to sell your item unless any reserve is not met.

Do eBay police this sort of thing? Not really but, if reported, most sellers will get a non-performance strike which can lead to a ban. If you look on the eBay forum eBay are starting to ban non-performing sellers much more often.

In this case the seller appears to have tried to avoid a reserve fee, took a gamble & it failed. Bidders have no obligations around when they bid & can leave it until the last second if they wish.

Edited by Ashborygirl

[quote name='Ashborygirl' timestamp='1344175604' post='1760693']
[size=4][i][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sellers are not allowed to cancel bids or end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price. This is considered to be a violation of ou[/font][/color][/i][/size][i][size=4][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]r [/font][/color][/size][url="http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-reserve.html"]reserve price policy[/url][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1].[/size][/font][/color][/i][/quote]

Tru dat, but this doesn't stop anyone doing it. You can always pull an auction and give these reasons: 'the item is no longer for sale' or 'the item has been lost or broken' or 'there was an error in the starting price'.

Cheap seller not wanting to pay the reserve fee I think. Sellers like this waste potential bidders/buyers time. Why not just put a BIN price on it if they're worried about it going for too little?

Nothing wrong with snipes, most people use them these days, hence the last minute dash as the auction closes.

Probably because I've never used one, but I can't stand the idea of these sniping things. Obvs it's an auction and not a game but at the same time it's cheating surely? And as for pulling the auction being against ebay rules, I can't see how ebay would ban that and yet allow an outside application to mechanically bid at the last fraction of a second to keep the price down, after all it means they lose out on final value fees.

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1344170078' post='1760630']
I had a sniper bid ready to go on this item, and he obviously panicked and pulled it just before the end.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170889897925#ht_2030wt_922

Now relisted with a reserve. Might bid, might just tell him to poke it

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr I hate that!!!
[/quote] its been on sale on here for a while. Er why not pm the seller on here and make an offer that way. He's a good guy. I don't really think he's a b@stard for pulling a sale. Esp given the nature of the item.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1344250134' post='1761614']
its been on sale on here for a while. Er why not pm the seller on here and make an offer that way. He's a good guy. I don't really think he's a b@stard for pulling a sale. Esp given the nature of the item.
[/quote]

I thought it might have been that one but I kept forgetting to check. :)