Why become a member? ×

They might have found Jamerson's amp!

eddiehoffmann

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1343659725' post='1753253']
Did he have any?

I thought Motown had amps in the room already ...
[/quote]
At the end Dennis Coffey says something about that and seems to believe that this amp might have been the one Jamerson used when Motown moved to LA.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1343664276' post='1753347']
I thought that! In any case, so what if it [i]is[/i] genuine? It's just a box. Jamerson's real legacy is the recordings he made.
[/quote]

We're talking about loony collectors here. The type that think guitars and amps should be stored in bank vaults not played.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1343664617' post='1753357']
We're talking about loony collectors here. The type that think guitars and amps should be stored in bank vaults not played.[/quote]

Heh. Like the loonies who think that buying a signature bass will make them sound like their hero. :D

Edit: Having said that, I bought some Lakland Joe Osborn sig flats, and now I sound just like him! :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1343664617' post='1753357']
We're talking about loony collectors here. The type that think guitars and amps should be stored in bank vaults not played.
[/quote]
Well... I would play it if I found it. Regardless if it is or not Jamerson's amp. If it sounded good, that is.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1343664276' post='1753347']
I thought that! In any case, so what if it [i]is[/i] genuine? It's just a box. Jamerson's real legacy is the recordings he made.
[/quote]
I agree that his legacy (or that of any musician) is their music, but I believe if somehow it could be proved that this was an amp he used it is a cool find. Like any other historical, or archeological find.

The real gear is great if you're in the room with it, and I've ahem ready for the name drop, used the B15 that was used for Money for Nothing amongst other things, but music is not the equipment. After all, how many Strats did Jimi play? Whether that amp is Jamerson's is another matter, and whether it has played a significant part in Motown's back catalogue is very questionable, as I understand it by the time James was in LA the booze was catching up with him and he was rarely at sessions anyway.

The real question is- when's the Funk Machine going to turn up?