Why become a member? ×

Warwick HotRod (vs. MM Bongo)

Stejohn

Hi there!
I´m thinking of changing my arsenal.
I was given a suggestion to change my MM Bongo 5 HH for Warwick Corvette Hot Rod. There are not so many of these basses (some 250 were made?) and there are some informations and user reviews on net but nothing complex. I know that there was some test in Bassmag, but I haven´t found it anywhere. I like its appearance very much and of course, this bass is something special.
I really like Bongo, but it is little bit too sterile instrument with no character for me. My second bass is G&L L2000 and this one is THAT bass!!
I´d like to have something with more soul inside than Bongo can offer. I play mainly hard rock and metal so i´d like to have something strong in middle and in bottom. I use pick and fingers but i slap very sporadic.
What do you think? Is this change worth it? Is here anyone who has this Hotrod or has any experience with it?

Edited by Stejohn

Not a clue matey, I can say that I found my Stingray5 to be very 'organic' sounding compared to the clinical sounding Warwick Thumb TN 5 I had before it, maybe try a Ray5 to compare with your Bongo, they're very different animals...

The Hotrods are fairly rare.
You'll find a fair bit of information (and a lot of love for them) on the Warwick forum, but they won't be able to give you an objective comparison with the Bongo or any other (non-Warwick) basses. They'll give you plenty of comparisons, but none will be objective :D.

[quote name='Stejohn' timestamp='1343171633' post='1746669']
I´d like to have something with more soul inside than Bongo can offer. I play mainly hard rock and metal so i´d like to have something strong in middle and in bottom. I use pick and fingers but i slap very sporadic.
[/quote]

SPECTOR.

My opinion? Im a huge Musicman fan and NOTHING, not even a Stingray, sounds like the Bongo. Totally unique bass. I love it.

You have to consider the fact the spacing, neck, etc, will be totally different, and perhaps even the scale. In addition, Musicman's humbuckers are big powerful unique sounding products IMO, so you will lose that.

[quote name='Stejohn' timestamp='1343317236' post='1748892']
Yes...that bass is unique! I totaly love its appearance. But I dont really think that it´s sound is unique too. Definitely, it doesn´t sound bad...but it is really very sterile! Try to compare with G&L for example...if you can.
[/quote]

G&L are nice....but totally different...obviously haha! :)

I've got a 5 String Warwick Corvette Hot Rot!

I absolutely love it, it's a great bass - and it's a good looker.
Chambered body so nice and light, great neck for a 5 string.
Got the classic Warwick growl.

I do have a love / hate relationship with the pickups and EQ though - sometimes I feel that the it can be tricky to dial in the sound in my ears - although that may well be my ears :D .....
There's a lot of options and versatility in the EQ but to my ears - sometimes - the 'sweeps' on the controls seem to change the tone very slightly and then a lot of change all at once - if that makes sense?
Some other times I think the EQ works fantastic - just one of those things I can't really put my finger on.

I've never A/B ed it with a Bongo so can't really compare.
If you are local you are welcome to come and try it (I'm in Chorley Lancs) and compare to your Bongo - It would be good to try a Bongo as well.

If you've any more specific questions fire away and I'll do my best to answer as best as I can.

Thanks for this useful comment!
I play mainly hard rock and metal. So i´d like to ask if this bass deals with pick great. Does it have that fat bottom end?
So I´d like to have bass with bright and fat sound which cuts through band great.
If i can say, my Thumb had wery angry and growly sound, but it wasnt so strong in bottom.
That meeting could be problem...i´m from Czech Republic.

Edited by Stejohn

Ah, OK Czech Republic may be a little too far ! :lol: .

I'm not really a pick player, but I've just had a quick go with a pick and yes it deals with this great for the classic metal with a pick sound.
Yes - I would describe it as both bright and fat as you have asked.
There is plenty of bottom end, as my earlier comment the EQ is (in my opinion) a little temperamental.
The bass EQ does seem to as you turn the control give a little more bass, then a little more bass and then a lot more bass all at once.

There is not a great deal of information about on the Corvette Hot Rod as you mentioned in an earlier post. Bass Guitar Magazine did a review in issue 20 (I assume for the 4 string version?) - i have tried to track down a copy but not been able to.
Maybe a fellow BC'er can scan and email the review if anyone has a copy.

Thanks a lot for that fast response!
Maybe just one question. Now when you know my sound requirements, do you think that it would be better to change my Bongo for some classical Warwick Like FNA, classic Corvette, Streamer LX or this Hotrod. I think just in the field of sound...if we dont consider some exclusivity of hotrod.

I don't really know much about the Bongo, but the general opinion is that it is very versatile.
In terms of the sound there are too many factors other than the bass that influence the sound (new strings / type of strings, amps, onboard pre amps / external pre amps / pick or fingers / cables /amps / technique / ability, down to very small things like pickup height / action.......etc etc etc).

If I were you - based purely on sound - I wouldn't change bass without doing a direct comparison between different basses and being sure that I was equally comparing basses and making all the other factors l've listed above as equal as possible.