Why become a member? ×

Idea for new members

s_u_y_*

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='185468' date='Apr 25 2008, 06:06 PM']I think a good way to get new people to introduce themselves may be to have them directed to the Introduction Forums when they first sign in. I don't know if this is feasible. This is encourages them to feel included in the community when people reply back welcoming them.[/quote]

The issue with people coming here to sell without introducing itself has come up over and over again. Though some people feel strongly about it, I myself do not mind keeping the status quo. However, I do think my idea also have the benefit of encouraging those sellers to become active members. We do get a lot of traffic from people looking to sell stuff, and I think there's nothing wrong with that. But by encouraging them to post an introduction thread when they first sign in, they may feel more welcome. This would be a win-win situation, quelling the fears of some members that some people are just here to sell, whilst helping to boost active membership.

So mods... what say ye? :)

Edited by s_u_y_*

for some reason the mods dont seem to have problems with members joining just to sell stuff, personally it really pisses me and several other loyal members right off...

but ye i back this suggestion for sure

[quote name='BassManKev' post='186065' date='Apr 26 2008, 06:11 PM']for some reason the mods dont seem to have problems with members joining just to sell stuff, personally it really pisses me and several other loyal members right off...[/quote]

Sorry, but I take exception to that:- as it pi55es me off to.

I have tried on several occasions to advocate different methods to prevent someones 1st post being a sale post....
However this is a democratic site and the MAJORITY are ok with it..... not neccasarily the mods.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='186065' date='Apr 26 2008, 06:11 PM']for some reason the mods dont seem to have problems with members joining just to sell stuff, personally it really pisses me and several other loyal members right off...

but ye i back this suggestion for sure[/quote]

On the other hand the people who are so upset with those "joining to sell stuff" could just make a mental note to ignore these ad's and let the others members make their own minds up as to whether they want to get involved or not.

End of the day, restricting the for sale posts is cutting down the buying choices for other forum members.

P

[quote name='Platypus' post='186171' date='Apr 26 2008, 09:15 PM']On the other hand the people who are so upset with those "joining to sell stuff" could just make a mental note to ignore these ad's and let the others members make their own minds up as to whether they want to get involved or not.

End of the day, restricting the for sale posts is cutting down the buying choices for other forum members.

P[/quote]
Absolutely - and I don't see any advantage in not having those sellers around ever... but there's no harm at all in pointing them to the introduction section as soon as they sign up!

there is harm

i recall a transaction not so long ago from a seller who had just joined selling something, and the buyer, a fully fledged member, recieving a bass not at all as advertised

it damages the trust we have on this forum

[quote name='The Burpster' post='186158' date='Apr 26 2008, 08:49 PM']Sorry, but I take exception to that:- as it pi55es me off to.

I have tried on several occasions to advocate different methods to prevent someones 1st post being a sale post....
However this is a democratic site and the MAJORITY are ok with it..... not neccasarily the mods.[/quote]

The Burpster, has anyone previously suggested the Directing to Introduction Forum idea that I've laid out? If not, then I would like to hear what the powers that may have to say about it.

This issue has come up time and time again, and it is causing unnecessary friction. But people around here do have concerns, and I think anything to address them and make them feel less anxious about them, hopefully will make it less of an issue. Plus, anything that may increase active membership has to be a good thing anyway.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='186186' date='Apr 26 2008, 09:40 PM']i reffered to it about the mods because thats who have the power to change things :)[/quote]
Change within certain limits. Your choice of words probably wasn't very considered however.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='186234' date='Apr 27 2008, 12:14 AM']it damages the trust we have on this forum[/quote]
If you're careful in your transactions like any responsible adult then you have nothing to worry about. Same as for any classifieds in the paper or wherever. It seems you're also trying to pin responsibility on the people who run this forum for vetting trustworthy members to use the classifieds. Presumably this is on the assumption that new members are the only ones who are profiteering?!

If you would like the role of doing the vetting, please DO let me know.

Anyways, to go back to a more general view, I don't understand why anyone who is THAT concerned can't drop the mods a PM in preference to putting an ill-judged post on another members ad thread. Seems a bit rude to me, and if someone doesn't have enough proof to make a concern stick then they shouldn't be casting dispersions on other members publically, in my view. Classifieds witchhunts happened on the Dudepit which put people right off using it.

Having said that, we could always introduce a quarterly recurring subscription to use the classifieds...? I'm sure that would deter some single use members.

However:
1) Would it make the classifieds less interesting? There's some pretty cool stuff that comes up and, because I can handle my transactions responsibly I personally wouldn't want to deter people from posting ads for interesting stuff.
2) Would it result in basschat being less visible to search engines?

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='185936' date='Apr 26 2008, 02:27 PM']The issue with people coming here to sell without introducing itself has come up over and over again. Though some people feel strongly about it, I myself do not mind keeping the status quo. However, I do think my idea also have the benefit of encouraging those sellers to become active members. We do get a lot of traffic from people looking to sell stuff, and I think there's nothing wrong with that. But by encouraging them to post an introduction thread when they first sign in, they may feel more welcome. This would be a win-win situation, quelling the fears of some members that some people are just here to sell, whilst helping to boost active membership.

So mods... what say ye? :huh:[/quote]
Aye, I completely agree.

I could also suggest that if the membership would like the forum to continue attract interesting, helpful and entertaining personalities then THEY are responsible for keeping them here by the way in which they interact with them. A bit controversial maybe but a suggestion worth making, although I am concerned about the potential for encouraging mild forms of collective paranoia to develop (ie assuming all new people are a potential thread).

FWIW I'm getting a bit tired of responding to these recycled issues so may end up posting cross referenced links to other threads in the future, if members are missing my responses.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='186286' date='Apr 27 2008, 07:59 AM']However:
1) Would it make the classifieds less interesting? There's some pretty cool stuff that comes up and, because I can handle my transactions responsibly I personally wouldn't want to deter people from posting ads for interesting stuff.
2) Would it result in basschat being less visible to search engines?[/quote]

spot on. people have moaned about this time and time again, i was on bassworld and then when that went i didn't realise there'd even been a replacement, i just figured that was that. then one day i searched for the words 'tobias for sale forum' and there it was, only because of the for sale forum.

it keeps it interesting having people come on with the sole intention of selling something, you get so many more visitors and ultimately so many more shiny things to drool over, and ok sometimes that can go wrong but it can anywhere.
if people had to go through the whole post an introduction then chat for a bit before being able to get round to the reason they went here in the first place, i think alot of them would just go elsewhere.

also (as people have probably already pointed out), if you don't like it, don't buy from people who have no posts (like ebay feedback) if i'm buying something i generally check the previous posts of that person to see if they're ok...

i don't think any of you would be complaining if some 'johnny no posts' put a wal up for sale at a fiver would you!?

okay, but what about new members that join solely to post a link to something they are selling on ebay, which has happened a couple of times lately? and i mean in the classifieds, not in the ebay links section?

i do get your point about it being good that more stuff could be bought, but i cant see many people joining up to a forum ,to sell something for a bargain.

but meh, majority appear to have no problem with n00b sales, so looks like changing things would cause more problems i guess

[quote name='BassManKev' post='186360' date='Apr 27 2008, 10:58 AM']okay, but what about new members that join solely to post a link to something they are selling on ebay, which has happened a couple of times lately? and i mean in the classifieds, not in the ebay links section?[/quote]
I don't see an issue with that. The sellers lack of enthusiasm is going to be quite evident, isn't it?

The management team can't protect members from themselves and what they choose to spend their money on, and I'm not sure that is an appropriate role for them anyway.

I say leave it how it is... when i see a post for sale and then see their a newbie personally I steer clear. Out of safety for my own money. Every transaction I have finished has resulted in me talking to the selling extensively beforehand anyway though. I should expect others to do the same. Two of my transactions have been trades.. IMO this takes MORE trust than a cash transaction.

Look after yourself and be careful. CK i like it how it is.. personal opinion