Why become a member? ×

Who uses YouTube lessons?

OliverBlackman

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1342622562' post='1738046']
It's still working with tab (And standard notation) so there's still room for errors, but Guitar Pro, Tab Pro, etc... allow you to do this to an extent. It plays through the tab for you, so you can cut out any instruments you want, or just make them a little lower or the bass higher, etc.. along with pitch-correct tempo changes, looping certain sections, speed-increasing looping and more.

The MT9 Music Format will do everything you want, but it isn't really around anywhere unfortunately, life would be a lot better if it was though.

Liam
[/quote]

Yes it does do this but the sounds are horrible and I found it very uninspiring when I used to use Guitar Pro before I learnt TABs are sin :ph34r: haha.
Unfortunately to take the instruments out you would need the original tracks from the recordings. Rerecording it for commercial use would be illegal.

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1342623374' post='1738075']
Yes it does do this but the sounds are horrible and I found it very uninspiring when I used to use Guitar Pro before I learnt TABs are sin :ph34r: haha.
Unfortunately to take the instruments out you would need the original tracks from the recordings. Rerecording it for commercial use would be illegal.
[/quote]

The RSE sounds aren't too bad once you find the right ones, especially on GP6. I found one on GP5 that sounded exactly like a Green Day tone, but i don't know what that says about either Green Day or Guitar Pro....

Liam

Thanks for that

Wouldnt G be the 4th fret on the D string? G# is 5th? Unless i am missing something with the music alphabet. :mellow:

I knew you could play same notes in several different areas.
Like U2 WIth or without you
Can be played a lot more condensed, but on the original he slides between notes on one string (repeating what i have read)

It is all starting to slot into place, just as they say, time and practise. :)

[quote name='deanoet' timestamp='1342635411' post='1738462']
Thanks for that

Wouldnt G be the 4th fret on the D string? G# is 5th? Unless i am missing something with the music alphabet. :mellow:

I knew you could play same notes in several different areas.
Like U2 WIth or without you
Can be played a lot more condensed, but on the original he slides between notes on one string (repeating what i have read)

It is all starting to slot into place, just as they say, time and practise. :)
[/quote]

I forgot F#!!!!! My apologies. G is the 5th fret on the D string! When I've finished this small collection of vids, I'll PM the link to you. Should help a lot :)

I've spent quite a lot of time watching bass lessons on youtube. Thomas Risell (MarloweDK) is a step above all the others I've found - really like his lessons and the videos are well made and easy to follow with good audio.

Dave Marks and Scott Devine have some decent stuff too.

The only YT lessons I've spotted so far that were really valuable was Scott Devine's stuff, and (maybe) Tony Grey's upcoming lessons' series - the first lesson was quite promising , but, then, it's not the stuff for beginners.
Just remembered that Tony promised to have a series on beginners' stuff, we'll see what he offers.

The problem with most YT stuff, (MarloweDK's site is not an exception here, I'm afraid) is that the content is not thourough, I mean, there's no system, where you go from A to Z in an actual topic, so you have to cherry-pick the good stuff, which is not something a beginner would want, to be honest .
Lessons with licks that are disconnected won't help you to reach your full potential as a musician and master the instrument.
For eg., take this Marlowek's video with that C/diminished lick - I'm more than sure that most people out there learning that lick don't have a clue about a diminished 7th chord (which is the essence of diminished licks). It's not the fault of a student though - it's a fault of teacher, who doesn't explain, what's behind that little piece of music, so that you can get a full grasp of material you're trying to learn.

Ollie, I'd be very interested in what you dig out on YT - keep us posted!

thanks
L

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1342659592' post='1738985']

I forgot F#!!!!! My apologies. G is the 5th fret on the D string! When I've finished this small collection of vids, I'll PM the link to you. Should help a lot :)
[/quote]

Thanks, look forwards to it
Glad i was correct, had horrible visions then of there not being certain notes available on certain strings for whatever reason. :)

I have been looking through more videos and I have come to the conclusion that at the moment it must be really difficult for beginners to learn using YouTube alone, as I think from my research that many are. Many of the "beginners" videos seem to have been filmed by beginners themselves, and there tends to be holes in and a lack of decent explanations of what they're doing and their use of terminology, so I've struggled in finding videos that I would recommend.

I know lots of people are big fans of Scott Devines lessons and they are very well put together. But I am left wondering how many of those are beginners, as I've found with his beginners lessons he often leaves things out that I think needs to be mentioned, or mentions something that is away from the topic and could confuse students. This seems to be a common theme amongst the lessons produced by working players.

Another problem I have with some the services on offer at the moment is that they are subscription based. As a student I can't afford the expenses of becoming a member, and I'm sure a beginner wouldn't want to commit for six months incase it turns out its not for them. Why are there not cheaper options?

This is a bit of a rant because having only just looked into this I'm surprised at how lacking what I'm seeing is.

Edited by OliverBlackman

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1342787674' post='1740928']
Yeah with you there. His lessons have helped me enormously really natural teacher and makes things a lot easier
[/quote]

I watched a few of these but they were all just songs? Does he teach theory or technique in between explaining the song?

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1342561563' post='1737232']
For example I've just watched one where the player talks through basic ways to practice a major scale, real beginners stuff, and then demonstrates it in the form of a fast solo passage. I would think this would confuse beginners? Am i right? Also demonstrating on 5 string basses without dots, does that hinder any of you?
[/quote]
In Tim Bogerts otherwise excellent RockBass for beginners DVD, he stupidly chooses a six string, I have been playing a while and I still need to think hard when looking at what he's doing.

Scott Devine's lessons are good, but I cant understand why he wears those silly gloves, anyone know?

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1342795599' post='1741122']
In Tim Bogerts otherwise excellent RockBass for beginners DVD, he stupidly chooses a six string, I have been playing a while and I still need to think hard when looking at what he's doing.

Scott Devine's lessons are good, but I cant understand why he wears those silly gloves, anyone know?
[/quote]

I think I read it was a reaction to the coating on strings

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1342626354' post='1738175']

+1000
Scott is a great guy and educator. Helped me with scale substitutions...
[/quote]

Ace, thanks for that ..lbeen watching some of Scott's vids on ibiza hotel free Internet and just registered too.... Learned loads in the last few hours :-)

Here is a link to the channel with a small selection of videos. If you want to watch them and let me know what you think of the videos I've put up that would be great help :) [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/oliverblackmn90"]http://www.youtube.com/user/oliverblackmn90[/url]

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1342795599' post='1741122']Scott Devine's lessons are good, but I cant understand why he wears those silly gloves, anyone know?[/quote]

He has a neurological condition called Focal Dystonia: [url="http://scottsbasslessons.com/odds-and-sods/the-gloves"]http://scottsbasslessons.com/odds-and-sods/the-gloves[/url]

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1342879268' post='1742295']
Here is a link to the channel with a small selection of videos. If you want to watch them and let me know what you think of the videos I've put up that would be great help :) [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/oliverblackmn90"]http://www.youtube.c...oliverblackmn90[/url]
[/quote]

That's a useful selection, I've had most of them bookmarked already hehehe :)

This set of three videos on Scott's channel is really good for beginners too. Showed it to a friend of mine who thought he "couldn't jam"...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWkea4LOHmM[/media]

Funny enough I can see the frets he is playing better with the glove .... Got to admire Scott for playing through the problem ...... I get Marlow as well but as his hands hardly move, I can never figure out the frets he is playing :-(. Scott helps by naming the notes, frets so I'll take a look at all his vids.... Didn't know that you could do dead notes on three strings and the notes would sound different until yesterday..... Lots of stuff in Scott's vids that I've not come across in numerous books :-)

I don't really watch that many Youtube bass lessons and haven't done for a number of years but Scott Devine's stuff is really very good. His explanation of the theory involved behind what he's doing in that particular video two posts up is clear and concise, and good for beginners to get to grips with.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1342957407' post='1743091']
I don't really watch that many Youtube bass lessons and haven't done for a number of years but Scott Devine's stuff is really very good. His explanation of the theory involved behind what he's doing in that particular video two posts up is clear and concise, and good for beginners to get to grips with.
[/quote]
I think it could be a lot better. For example there were a few mistakes. When your in the recording studio and you make a mistake, you stop and re record it. I think the same should be done for tuition videos.

Edited by OliverBlackman

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1342959104' post='1743111']
I think it could be a lot better. For example there were a few mistakes. When your in the recording studio and you make a mistake, you stop and re record it. I think the same should be done for tuition videos.
[/quote]

Just my opinion, I like it when Scott leaves the mistakes in - it shows he's human. I think he's started to gear some of his lessons towards beginners, but I think he's also trying to keep the more advanced people interested as well. It's a fine balance that is quite difficult to maintain, but if he can keep doing that, then more power to him.

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1342879268' post='1742295']
Here is a link to the channel with a small selection of videos. If you want to watch them and let me know what you think of the videos I've put up that would be great help :) [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/oliverblackmn90"]http://www.youtube.c...oliverblackmn90[/url]
[/quote]

Have you posted any videos that you have made yourself? I can only see a playlist of other people's videos when I click on the link.

[quote name='Dash' timestamp='1342984928' post='1743490']
Have you posted any videos that you have made yourself? I can only see a playlist of other people's videos when I click on the link.
[/quote]

No it's just a selection of other peoples. I would make them myself, and may try over the summer. But theres already a lot of good content out there and it takes a very very very long amount of time to make one well, when you bare in mind all the editing that is done after you've finished filming. But yeh I will consider it one day when I'm less busy playing.

Edited by OliverBlackman