Why become a member? ×

Setting up my first pedal bourd advice

Pinball

Hi, I'm hoping to get some pointers and ideas as the best way to go.

I currently have three pedals (MXR blowtorch, Harke VXL Bass Attack and Digitech envelope filter) and want to set up an unpowered Gater "Bone" bourd to stop them kicking around the floor. My thinking follows:

1. Velcro doesn't seem to stick to the rubber underside of my pedals and some aren't flat in any case so am I best to rip of the rubber (I don't like vandalizing my pedals). Any other suggestions??

2. I plan to fix a 2 point 3 pin mains plug socket to the side of the "bone" so that I can plug in the 9 and 18v adapters that I need for the pedals. Then I can daisy chain the 9v as necesary-sound OK?

3. I plan to run the pedals in series-is that the best way?

Any opinions or advice on the above would be greatly appreciated as I'd like it all up and running as soon as possible.

Also any recommendations of a vital pedal that I should have, compression maybe?

Edited by Pinball

1. You could try taking the baseplate off & turning it over (so the rubber is inside the case). But if you get some decent heavy duty Velcro & wipe the rubber with some meths, it should stick ok.

2. As long as your 9v PSU supplies enough amps & your polarities are ok, then fine.

3. There isn't a "best way" as such, it's down to what YOU like. Experimentation is the key (& 1/2 the fun).

Other advice? Learn to spell Board & listen to classical music. :P

Recommended pedals? If you don't know what you're gonna use, then plug into your computer or get a multi fx. No point buying a type of pedal someone else suggests as you might have no use for it.
I'd say get a Moog Bass Murf, but you might find it as useful as a brick. I on the other hand, love what it does.

Thanks, some useful stuff in there.

Re: Spelling I'm a lost cause but at least I used the same spelling twice even if its wrong, I may remember board for a while now though.

Re: Classical music, I tried to like it but it doen't have that "thud" that I like-other than the 1812 which is OK.

ED

I never liked much in the way of classical but I always liked 1812 & Holst's The Planets. Bach's Cello Suites are pretty good & you can learn them on bass too, so good for some solo stuff & good for getting the fingers moving. They ain't easy though (but fun never the less).

One piece of advice I got from a friend - if you plan on flightcasing your board, then buy the flightcase first and build the board to fit. The other way round is madness.

Most flightcases for pedal boards are made from a board with a lid, so do a good job in their own right.

And, get a board thats big enough - or have a very strict replacement strategy. They take up more space than youd think.

My advice to you is this:

It's ok if you don't like a pedal. If you buy something and it doesn't quite do what you want it to do, move it on! There's always something out there that's better. I've been through 4 octaves, and I've settled on the EHX Multiplexer because I love it's synthy kind of tone. I held on to my first (Boss OC-3) for ages and I just didn't like it, I felt like I'd be some sort of failure if I admitted defeat and sold it!

Also, learn how to make your own cables or invest in a George L's kit or similar. It'll make your life so much easier!

Ooh, and don't listen to what anyone says about putting pedals in a certain order. Experiment and you'll find out what works and what doesn't with the pedals you actually have, not what some other guy on the internet has!

Good luck!!!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1341703336' post='1723099']
Ooh, and don't listen to what anyone says about putting pedals in a certain order. Experiment and you'll find out what works and what doesn't with the pedals you actually have, not what some other guy on the internet has!
[/quote]

Good advice! I occasionally get told I should put my compressor last in the chain but I prefer when it's the first pedal I go through. Trying other peoples suggestions can be a good idea to begin with though.

Generally synths and octaves are closer to he bass end of the chain so that they can track a clearer signal and work better. And you usually put drive effects before stuff like phasers, delays, choruses etc etc, but again, there aren't really any rules! :)

OK thanks for the advice everyone.I'm very much amateur so its all useful

Re: Truckstops comment "It's ok if you don't like a pedal. If you buy something and it doesn't quite do what you want it to do, move it on!". I kind of found that out already as its all about learning for me so both pedal and guitar choice is constantly evolving. It's amazing how often what I think I need turns out not to be what I actually want :gas:
I didn't get on with the boss distortion but am now happy with my Bass Attack, Synth Wah and Blow torcth

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1341745081' post='1723394']
Buying s/h pedals off here has the advantage of "If you don't like it, sell it again" & there's usually no loss.
[/quote]

And Basschatters tend to look after their gear and are trustworthy, so the trading areas of this forum are worthwhile looking at.

have fun putting your board together. i've used to use a digital multi effects unit, until a guitarist mate got me into good old fashioned pedals. and i've never looked back. it's been ten years of slow but steady evolution and i know i'm not done yet.
i wanted to recommend a 9v psu - check out the 1spot. its a tiny unit and it chucks out 2000ma of juice. with a daisy chain (or 2) you can power lots of pedals. they even make adaptors so you can convert the boss style connectors to almost all the other odd ones out there, like the older e.h. pedals. even reversing polarity. they're reliable too, and they don't cause hum like some of those power brick types.

If you have a wet afternoon to spare mock up a board using a scale drawing or cut out bits of a cereal box.

Stay with me here....

OK I was babysitting and bored one afternoon so I got my niece and nephew to draw pedals onto shapes I'd cut out from a cereal box and told them they were designing what Uncle G would be using in his band. They loved it :) Most sites have the dimensions/spec or their pedal on there so a ruler, some safety scissors and free child labour and you can have a 'working' diagram in a few short hours.

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1341894354' post='1725707']
If you have a wet afternoon to spare mock up a board using a scale drawing or cut out bits of a cereal box.

Stay with me here....

OK I was babysitting and bored one afternoon so I got my niece and nephew to draw pedals onto shapes I'd cut out from a cereal box and told them they were designing what Uncle G would be using in his band. They loved it :) Most sites have the dimensions/spec or their pedal on there so a ruler, some safety scissors and free child labour and you can have a 'working' diagram in a few short hours.
[/quote]

I did this, but i did it on a powerpoint document 'cause it was too much effort to find some scissors and stuff. I've also done it on a big piece of wood with the actual pedals, that was really useful actually.

Liam

Luckily I'm sorted as I have the three pedals I plan on using and the board already. I would like to power them from the mains and have been in touch with "digidave" who I bought an adapter from a while back.
It looks like the Digitech Synth Wah and Harke Bass Attack will daisy chain. That means I need to sort out an adapter for the MXR Blowtorch distortion. Thats 18v so I'm waiting for a reply on that. They don't do an adapter but I don't see why I can't use two 9v daisy chain inputs somehow. I'll let you know how I ressolve it.
I can always run this off a seperate adapter if need be there is plenty of space on the board.

Crude but functional is fine by me but I do need to get them set up. At the moment I don't use them much because I'm too lazy and just plug into the amp.

Note to self: must find my camera!

• 3 weeks later...

Actually Boss oc2 or boss oc 3, Maybe delay, Moog ring mod, Moog 101, wah? (actually all moog are great) chorus, flanger tremolo?

It all depend on music you play, and how much you want to spend. I you are not familiar with effect and its use I recommend you to start with small multi-effect and than check out other player sound and ask research what you dig. It does necessary means check out just bass players.

But than also check out effect good for bass because quality is what you looking for. just check out how many distortion pedals are there and how many of them are crap or not great for bass ? most so you have to be careful with spending but understand that quality cost and sometimes it means it might cost as new bass but I prefer to invest in the sound, amp, bass more than have loots of cheap basses amps and effects that kill the sound make weird noises even the levels are down...But it does not mean that I am right at all it is just point of view..

I am myself buying now TC Electronics nova delay, Moog 101 just because I love that sounds and it is quality and suits my paying, I have checked it and it is gonna be with me for ever so i like it and recommend it but as said before you might not like it. And with all rest of effects is amazing Boss OC3, Moog ring mod with express, Moog 101,Tc Electronics nova delay, Compression. And it does not mean that this effect will be switched on all the time ...not at all I am careful when I switch it on (otherwise I would get fired )