Why become a member? ×

Another Homage to the Rickenbacker 4005 - The "Mickenbacker"

The Legoheads

I started this project in 2006 after realizing the only way I was going to own a 4005 was if I was to build one myself. The hardest thing about building a 4005 is that it's hard to even get to see one in the flesh and so all the measurements had to be estimated based on photographs and using the scale length as a reference measurement. I took measurement from many different photos, worked out an average, threw in a fudge factor and that was my starting point.

I ordered a single solid sycamore blank just big enough for the body and figured I'd saw a thin board from the back, create the hollow cavities and then reapply the board. I scoured ebay and a number of other sources for genguine RIC hardware that I could use or adapt for the 4005. I even scored a genuine RIC fretboard that apparently came off of one of Bruce Foxton's old basses. I bought this from a guy in the US who had bought it from a guy in the UK claiming to be one of The Jam's guitar techs back in the day. Who knows... but a good story anyway.

Unfortunately, I was gigging a lot back then and was desperate for a RIC bass (I already had a 360) and so I bought a 4003 from a guy down the road. After that, my project sort of fell by the wayside and a couple of years later I sold up and moved to the US. One day, a mate was poking around in my basement and discovered the body blank languishing in a corner. After relaying the story I I decided that maybe it was time to resurrect the project. At least this time I'd built up a half-decent workshop so no more sawing wood on a Balck & Decker Workmate in the garden.

This was couple of months back and since then I've made a lot of progress. In fact, at the time of writing, it's really about finishing of the wood, painting and fitting the hardware.

Photos to follow...

Next step was to hollow out the tail on the front side. This isn't strictly accurate to the RIC design and the "valley walls" here are far steeper than the original. In addition, the slope from tail to brige has a gentle curve whereas the RIC has a more linear gradient.

Time to start work on the neck. I bought a massive chunk of hard maple, enough to make 4 necks as I didn't think I'd get the first one right. The offset in the longitudinal cut is deliberate as I don't intend adding "wings" to the headstock; I intend to do the whole thing out of a single piece of wood.

After "thicknessing" the neck, I started routing the tenon part of the neck joint. The webs are to maintain a good routing surface until the very last minute. Ithen used some dado strips as a jig for the routing of the neck taper. Unfortunately, I forgot to route the truss rod channels at this time and removed the material from the side of the neck before I realised.

Edited by The Legoheads

This is where it almost came unstuck. I was attempting to angle the head back a little before profiling and made a right pig's ear of it. Luckily, I'd opted for quite a shallow angle so I got a second bite of the cherry and attacked it from the rear wih a slightly greater angle. It's not perfect but good enough...

Edited by The Legoheads

Then, first time I've used a spokeshave since woodwork lessons around in 1983. My biggest worry here was going to deep and hitting the truss rod channels. Even though you know you're 5mm away the paranoia kicks in. As a result, the neck is probably around 2mm thicker than a genuine RIC neck.

Edited by The Legoheads

And that's pretty much up-to-date apart from a bit of sanding and refining. I'm waiting for a few more parts to arrive as well as the tool for routing the binding channel. I need to level out the neck tenon to the level of the mortice, glue the neck joint and then glue the rear panel in place. At some point I'm going to have to deface the front of the body with a sodding great hole for the pots. I also need to start work on the steel tailpiece and cut the scratchplate. Hopefully, I can make some time this weekend to push on...

Edited by The Legoheads

If Mr Hall was to re-introduce the 4005 and take my hard-earned cash in exchange for one, I'd be more than happy to make the exchange as I have done for several of his other current production models. For one reason or another, RIC have chosen not to do this and that is their prerogative. It's also my prerogative to produce a far from exacting homage to this bass. I'm not sure at what point it becomes a "copy" or the precise legalities of making this single example, with which I intend to be buried; but if only to make my own soul a little richer, I have to build and play this guitar.

And should it come down to it, I'll claim it as a restoration project based around an original fretboard :yarr:

Edited by The Legoheads

Its certainly better made than my own version, although I love it to death, it doesnt have the attention to detail that yours has, for the simple reason I don't have the skills to match my ideal methods of creating it, wheras you clearly have.

Hats off to you, on a very fine effort indeed, looking forward to seeing the rest of the progress.

Top class work, I'm extremely impressed.........and jealous!!.

Here's my relatively lame attempt, no guesses as to the inspiration! I also managed to get an original tailpiece that i modded. Also has original pickups, bridge, wiring harness, pots, knobs, jackplate etc;

[url="javascript:void(0);"][/url]

[indent=1][quote]Its certainly better made than my own version, although I love it to death, it doesnt have the attention to detail that yours has, for the simple reason I don't have the skills to match my ideal methods of creating it, wheras you clearly have.

[/quote][/indent]

[indent=1]Don't mistake shear persitance and luck to be a sign of skill ;) I am an engineer by trade so some element of OCD and technical knowledge have ceratinly helped. Plus, when someone tells me I can't do something, that I don't have the skills or knowledge, it only makes me wanna give a two-fingered salute and prove them wrong... even when that someone is me.[/indent]

[indent=1]I have seen your guitar before and taken inspiration from it... hardly lame. Like you, influenced by the Stone Roses, it was almost certainly Mani that introduced me to the 4005 and I've fought with the idea of a Jackson Pollack style JS finish. I knew I'd never get away with a bare wood finish as there are many small flaws, both natural and man-made.[/indent]

[indent=1]I just hope now that The Roses are resurrected that they make it to the US. A big bunch of my old mates and bandies were at Heaton Park the other weekend... jammy w*****s...!!![/indent]

[quote name='The Legoheads' timestamp='1341582293' post='1721316']

[indent=1]Don't mistake shear persitance and luck to be a sign of skill ;) I am an engineer by trade so some element of OCD and technical knowledge have ceratinly helped. Plus, when someone tells me I can't do something, that I don't have the skills or knowledge, it only makes me wanna give a two-fingered salute and prove them wrong... even when that someone is me.[/indent]

[indent=1]I have seen your guitar before and taken inspiration from it... hardly lame. Like you, influenced by the Stone Roses, it was almost certainly Mani that introduced me to the 4005 and I've fought with the idea of a Jackson Pollack style JS finish. I knew I'd never get away with a bare wood finish as there are many small flaws, both natural and man-made.[/indent]

[indent=1]I just hope now that The Roses are resurrected that they make it to the US. A big bunch of my old mates and bandies were at Heaton Park the other weekend... jammy w*****s...!!![/indent]
[/quote]

The reason for me making it was clearly being a huge Mani fan, and also the pollock'ing hid the multitude of finishing 'issues' that existed on it, which is why i didnt take as much care as i probbaly should have.

I was at Heaton Park last weekend, and they were just fantastic. They've done a few gigs in europe too, with more gigs planned, and a new album deal, so hopefully, as in '95, they'll make it to your shores in the near future.....unless they fall out again of course, but hopefully as they are much older, the ego's will have subsided a little to prevent that happening!