Why become a member? ×

Which five songs should I learn?`

Thunderpaws

Yoh!

I want to get better at playing my instrument. I love playing songs with hooky riffs and get bored playing 8th notes all the time. My right hand speed is OK, not super fast though.

So, what five songs would you all suggest I learn to play along with. Ideally I'd like to join a band but the timing isn't right as we have a sprog o the way. My musical taste is alt rock, rock influenced, from Pearl Jam to Collective Soul, to Led Zep to Band of Skulls to Alberta Cross, to Rush, Van Halen, Pete Yorn, Dave Matthews, etc...

Over to you guys.....

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1341509643' post='1720323']
Hey :)

One of my suggestions would be Road to Ruin by Mr Big. It's very interesting to play, without being too strenuous on the right hand. I have a pdf of notation with tab if you need :)
[/quote]

Cool, didn't think of Mr Big. Love them too. Just assumed that Mr Sheehan would make it too difficult for everyone else to play! The PDF would be cool. Cheers, g

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1341509920' post='1720327']
Pearl Jam stuff is good to learn not too simple, not too complex.
[/quote]

Yeh, I dig PJ too. Jeff Ament rocks. I have already learned a few of their tracks, though less or the more recent stuff, so that could be an avenue.

He's really good at skateboarding too! There's a great piece on Youtube of him helping build skateparks in poor areas of the USA for underprivileged towns to use. Supported by Vans shoes.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1341510565' post='1720348']

He's really good at skateboarding too! There's a great piece on Youtube of him helping build skateparks in poor areas of the USA for underprivileged towns to use. Supported by Vans shoes.
[/quote]

There's a few bits of him carving around concrete parks on PJ20

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1341511606' post='1720368']
Yeh, saw that at the cinema. One of my favourite cinema moments.
[/quote]

Same here. Saw it in a tiny place. Walked out feeling like I'd been to a gig!

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1341513098' post='1720403']
Hello Jackers...which software do I need to read your PDF, my PC doesn't seem to like it?!
[/quote]

Have you changed the file extension to .pdf?

Edited by bartelby

If I could give just one piece of advice it would be to not limit yourself to any one genre. The kids at the school where I teach often ask me what stuff I listen to and they can't understand how I can listen to Chic one minute and then Marilyn Manson the next. The same goes for choosing pieces of music to learn from - I know you've said you're into alternative rock but learning to play a Chic song or even a BeeGees song can not only be great fun but you can learn alot from them. So on that score - I'd recommend you have a go at the bassline on Good Times by Chic or We Are Family by Sister Sledge.

Edited by darkandrew

If you want to push yourself and expand your abilities you should be choosing to practice numbers which are outside your comfort zone.

Street Life - The Crusaders

Do I Do - Stevie Wonder

Diggin On James Brown - Tower Of Power

Just Like You - Keb Mo

Aria in D Major - J S Bach

Edited by chris_b