Why become a member? ×

Bad case of G.A.S.

PlungerModerno

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1340906961' post='1711428']
Get one then!
[/quote]

Ok!
wait a minute..... I am certain it's a good choice, and will do what I need... I just love the GK fusion 550 preamp that the mb fusion has*.... at least from afar.
*It has some changes, like non-motorized knobs! and the mb 500 D-class power section.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1340910346' post='1711485']
I think you made the right choice of the Compact over the Midget. I have both and both are really top notch cabs but the Compact is a better all-rounder and gives a little deeper/ smoother tone. You won't regret it.

I do use the Midget on it's own in smaller pubs where space is tight and it more then copes without breaking a sweat. Given the choice if I'm using only one cab, I always use the Compact as I prefer the deeper tone.

The Markbass amps are superb combined with the Compact. I bought my Littlemark II new in 2006 ish and never looked back but I'm sure there are equally good micro amps out there.

Good luck in your search. (Whereabouts in Ireland are you? I'm in Belfast but travel south often enough)

Frank.
[/quote]

I'm in galway, a nice place in the west. I haven't much of a profile 'on the street' B) as thus far I've been playing with a drummer or a drum machine.
If you are down my way I can check out gigs and rigs and what have you so hit me up with a PM or summit!
Yeah I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrIsd2K8Hg
and figured if it can sound that good off axis through a so so camera mic.... Oh yeah it's worth a try. :yarr:

[quote name='stinson' timestamp='1340910573' post='1711487']
Agreed, the Compact/LMII combination is really good.
[/quote]

Yup. LMII/III/tube or variants are going to work with a good cab.
If I could get a LM head and A/B it with a GK fusion... through a Compact I'd probably want both a whole lot! :D

Are you new to bass? Or just learning new stuff?

Can't tell by your original post.

Firstly, my advice would be to use your ears, and don't get too deep into specs of Amps and Cabs.

The Markbass amps may well suit what you are after. Similarly something relatively inexpensive might suit. Eg, a TC Electronic BG250 combo, or Ampeg Portaflex rig.

If you are interested in the GK and the zingy high end, you will miss some of that off with a BF Compact, as it doesn't have the tweeter. It is, IMO, a loud cab, but it seemed very low orientated to me. Others may disagree.

A GK MB500 and a GK Neo 112-II x 2 would be a great setup.

Have a shop around and think about what you want, what sound you like, then decide.

If you want a more modern sparkly highs type tone, I'd suggest a tweeter in your cab and a cab that produces more of that sparkle.

Just chiming in, as I've found its always best to just go with what 'sounds' right, rather than the specs on paper.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1340923815' post='1711733']
Are you new to bass? Or just learning new stuff?

Can't tell by your original post.

Firstly, my advice would be to use your ears, and don't get too deep into specs of Amps and Cabs.

The Markbass amps may well suit what you are after. Similarly something relatively inexpensive might suit. Eg, a TC Electronic BG250 combo, or Ampeg Portaflex rig.

If you are interested in the GK and the zingy high end, you will miss some of that off with a BF Compact, as it doesn't have the tweeter. It is, IMO, a loud cab, but it seemed very low orientated to me. Others may disagree.

A GK MB500 and a GK Neo 112-II x 2 would be a great setup.

Have a shop around and think about what you want, what sound you like, then decide.

If you want a more modern sparkly highs type tone, I'd suggest a tweeter in your cab and a cab that produces more of that sparkle.

Just chiming in, as I've found its always best to just go with what 'sounds' right, rather than the specs on paper.
[/quote]

Good view...

I am fairly new to bass... and completely new to amps and cabs.
I have a 112 combo, tweeterless, and really miss the lows when I turn up (I have to cut lows to stop grumbling). I am definitely learning new stuff - but find the tweeteriffic tones, when recorded at least, to be less than assuring to me.
I agree completely I could get good results with less, my reasoning being (i) I don't need to have such headroom right now. (ii) I don't need a very light rig because I'll likely only move it once a week. (iii) A good combo is way cheaper.
The reason I'm not gunning for the above is I want something I can hang onto for a while. I like light, and loud. If I don't run it flat out no shame, I can get my ducks in a row and use it at a 'proper' volume in the future.
It's a huge hassle for me to travel, then try a tiny range of amps and such... I probably will but know I'll have access to few options. I can return what I'm getting if it doesn't blow my socks off.
I agree the mb500 + 212/2X112/412 rig is a monster. I may end up with something similar, but the weight will make it a second option.

Edited by PlungerModerno

...Oh and thanks for the feedback everyone. I try to base my decisions on good info, but the fact is I'm no expert.
And until I play through a mix of rigs I won't develop a good working knowledge.
I've found 90% of what I need is practice, the other 10% is a mix of gear and creativity. But that's another discussion.

Anyone got a time machine????
[url="http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module2/79451/CartmanWuvWii.jpg"]http://img.qj.net/up...rtmanWuvWii.jpg[/url]

.....you guys! I'm seriously!

Edited by PlungerModerno

4 weeks.... This isn't bad. As long as you don't think about it. Check out a young Zwainul on piano, and a rocking Sextet! (Warning Hawt double bass action!)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=VceXg7NwM3Y"][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=VceXg7NwM3Y[/media][/url]

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1342958046' post='1743099']
Just to make you feel better, I'm now a week overdue. I did hum and har for a bit, but Alex assured me I hadn't lost my place in the queue.
[/quote]

Cheers... It takes time, but I've heard it's worth it. Hopefully You'll get yours soon, and I not too far behind!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :ph34r:

The wating game sucks.... Let's play hungry hungry hippos! :D

EDIT: 5 down, 1 - 3 estimated left... +extra delays. Small scale production... has it's disadvantages. The low weight is still making it worth it!

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1343368497' post='1749525']
As it happens...
Thunderfunk aren't class D which is one of the best things about them..and there are many, IMO.
They weight in at around 20lbs.
[/quote]

Yeah, I guessed G/H before, could be the case (I really wouldn't know).
Do class D's automatically suck? I don't doubt they're different but I am willing to try. They are super portable at least.

Week 6*. They snow gathers against the still leather of my boots. It's not supposed to go this way, but I can't complain. Time doesn't ask for consent.

OH... check this out (It's got some Duck magic!): [url="http://freebasspart.pv24.pagesperso-orange.fr/Bass_Players.htm"]http://freebasspart....ass_Players.htm[/url]

I am growing extremely eager for the Compact. I hope my Tele's neck 'bucker will produce enough fat fat lows to break her in nicely :D

*end of week 5... for consistency with the other posts...

EDIT II. it's actually end of week 6 (just past).

Edited by PlungerModerno

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1343368497' post='1749525']
As it happens...
Thunderfunk aren't class D which is one of the best things about them..and there are many, IMO.
They weight in at around 20lbs.
[/quote]

Similarly, the Mesa Walkabout is small, fairly light, and not Class D. And all the better for it..

Ooh, controversy, etc.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1345187132' post='1774618']
Similarly, the Mesa Walkabout is small, fairly light, and not Class D. And all the better for it..

Ooh, controversy, etc.
[/quote]

Exactly... or not.

I'd say there's a bunch of reasons to like either... mesa are pretty legendary, and that might have as much to do with it as the choice of power section class.

YMMV. ;)

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1345232269' post='1775433']
Exactly... or not.

I'd say there's a bunch of reasons to like either... mesa are pretty legendary, and that might have as much to do with it as the choice of power section class.

YMMV. ;)
[/quote]

YMMV indeed - my comment was based on about three years of playing different Class D heads that all use the same B&O module, and feeling they all lacked the same... thing. Whatever it is. I can't quite place it.

• 2 weeks later...

Does Class D suck....?? hmmmm.. jury is out for me.

I've tried micro Aguilar, GK, Markbass, TC etc and we are currently doing the active P.A thing ( QSC) and none of them knock me out.
The best was the TC 750...but that was thru its own cabs which would be the package for me...as I think there is something in the internal mapping that needs the cabs
The controller element being a key compoent, probably.

I am not looking for micro as anything upto 20lbs for an amp is prefectly acceptable... and I'll probably end up with a DB750 for the stage rigs but am coming round to
the theory/hunch that a good sound needs oomph and that oomph comes from the weightier components. This little train of thought has been
emphasised by the better cabs..to my ears..being made of wood rather than composite.

Can I explain all this..?? err. no...I just trust what sound good to my ears in the confines that we trial the kit.