Why become a member? ×

Bad case of G.A.S.

PlungerModerno

Fair enough . . . We shan't all like the same things - I've yet to have the experience of A/Bing a bunch of rigs and head types so I'm gonna reserve judgement.
I'd imagine if you can get a high-ish end PA poweramp to run with fairly low distortions using class D design - a bass head can do it too, at least as well, as bass needs a far less hi-fi sound. Well a bit less as I understand it.

Some do have a thing for 'heavy iron' and that's totally up to them. I don't know enough to know either way - but my guess is a lot of it is psychoacoustic.

Ohhh. . . . Compact came in the post. Nice.

It's really well sized - pretty shallow - and is light.

If only I had an amp to test it with. mb fusion is on the way, but I'm not sure where I'll be getting a speakon :blink: which I kinda need.

I've made some enquiries, and will reveiw when I've tested it.

Here:

EDIT: Speakon and amp on the way. Dying to get rocking. Having the cab in the house with nothing to play through it is pretty frustrating.

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1347125425' post='1797251']
That is going to be a cracking sounding rig.
[/quote]

I hope so. I'm delighted at how it sounds 'full range' as a headphone amp - with pretty budget sennheiser hd201's - and I've discovered my PC speakers have ruddy awful midrange - the Compact won't translate the 'bite' as well as a cab with greater treble response & extended range - but I am optimistic about the mids (most important set of frequencies IMO).

I should mention, I got my amp of thomann (GK packaging is good, and they put it in another box with padding). It is a made in china GK amp - which may effect resale price .. . If it's reliable I'll be happy. Those tubes sound glorious!

• 2 weeks later...

Well It's time to hand in an inital report:

After a few days low volume practicing, I finally got to let the Compact + Fusion 'open-up' this evening.

Wow. It's very very loud - especially in the low end . . . the B channel of the GK Fusion when just starting to get gritty is a really full, warm and creamy tone when eq'ed right (mids boosted, lows slightly cut, treble nearly off).

Pretty much exactly what I had in mind - a big deep sound out of the box, lots of forward bite from the GK when flat, but that can be dialed in and out to taste. The tube OD and preamp generally sounds very nice, sweet and mild to harsh and brutal with lots of decent options in between.

It'll take me ages to get to know the amp & cab combo, the two channels along with the contour facility + fairly impressive EQ make it a flexible arrangement - and even without a tweeter or mid driver the 15" neo driver has lots of bright top end - if not extended range sparkle then a very pleasing top end roll off that allows dry and bright bass tones to ring loud and clear - if not exactly sparkle.

I'm still amazed at the jump in tone from the budget combo - a new octave of lows (more at medium to high volumes) and the tube pre has a strange warmth I like quite a lot, even if it sounds pretty much exactly like a soild state GK tone if given lots of headroom and played flat (IMO, and not IME, not having played through a GK rig).