Why become a member? ×

Wal Custom Mk1 - Passive 4-string For Sale

WalBone

As far as I'm aware, this is the only one of its kind - a completely [b]passive[/b] Wal Mk1 Custom bass (built in ’92). The standard 4 knobs give you volume and tone for each pickup and the push-pull pots switch between single-coil and humbucking mode (as distinct from the Pro 2's, which switched between series and parallel).

The facing is a treated birdseye maple (more golden than blonde - excuse my rather amateur photography) and the condition is excellent. Paul Herman has serviced the bass recently, so it’s been fully checked over. It comes with the blue/grey Wal case (with traditional broken catch!).

[attachment=111512:Wal4_1.JPG] [attachment=111513:Wal4_2.JPG] [attachment=111514:Wal4_3.JPG] [attachment=111515:Wal4_4.JPG]

The body has a deliberately slim profile (to keep the weight to a minimum), hence it is physically too shallow to accommodate the standard circuit boards, so it would [b]not[/b] be possible to retrofit them, but as anyone who has played a Pro 2 or the early leather scratchplate Custom basses will appreciate, the passive sound is pure Wal, and the single-coil facility makes for some interesting and widely varied tones.

Price £2500 (destined for the black hole that is my kids' University fund, hence I'm not interested in any trades but am open to [i]sensible [/i]offers).

You are more than welcome to come and test-drive the bass if you are within reach of SW England.

Thanks for looking...

[quote name='jonthebass' timestamp='1340728759' post='1708743']
Wow - Right up my street!
Whereabouts are you based?
[/quote]

You should already know if it's right up your street ! ;) ( I am so sorry I really should just carry on drooling over this stunning bass not making crap jokes) good luck with sale

[quote name='WalBone' timestamp='1340708969' post='1708300']
the passive sound is pure Wal, and the single-coil facility makes for some interesting and widely varied tones.
[/quote]

was the different electronic setup made by Wal on request of the customer or did someone change the original active electronics?
How would you describe the single coil sound? wander how a Wal sounds with coil tap. Maybe more jazz bass like?

Edited by barend

[i]I'm not the original owner so I honestly don't know the reason, whether the guy preferred the passive sound or just wanted a lighter body. It's too slim to fit the boards in, so it was clearly built that way deliberately - I've always assumed it was a weight issue (as some people seem to find Wal's too heavy), otherwise they'd just have left the boards out and kept the body standard. I did ask Pete a few years back, but he couldn't remember himself![/i]
[i]The single coil sound is interesting - it's not really like a Jazz as it's still got a whole lot more power (and it doesn't make any noise!), but it's more in that direction than the standard humbuckers are. I tend to use a mixture, with one pickup in single-coil mode and one humbucking, so you get the definition and the body.[/i]

Guess it depends on the piece(s) of timber as well as the "profile"? My old Pro 2 was a lot chunkier, as was my first Custom.

Can't see the issue myself but it's seems to be a point that comes up regularly with Wals.

• 2 months later...

Very lovely looking bass with an interesting and unusual circuitry.

I had a chat with Paul Herman when he took over the Wal brand 3 years ago and I asked him about adding a single-coil feature as an option when buying, but he wasn't really sure about it. I've always thought it would make a great addition to a brilliant circuit..

So seeing this one is quite a surprise! Rarer than a rare thing with hen's teeth!

Good luck with the sale.

• 3 months later...