Why become a member? ×

Fender Japan 1962 reissue P basses

fretmeister

I can confirm what Gary says: Fender Japan makes some of the best, if not THE best instruments that money can buy at this moment. Price/quality is unbeatable. As for the '62, you have 2 different version, the PB-62 and the PB-62US. While identical from woodwork, the US has the correct reverse tuners, a real tortoise pickguard and American electronics (CTS pots, AVRI62 pickup), while the standard PB-62 has generic "Japanese" tuners (those reverse tuners are also japanese, but you get the point), and cheaper electronics (alpha pots, standard pickup).

As a first P, it's very good, as you'll have an amazing instrument, but... The necks are kinda huge, as they are vintage spec'd. The PB-62 has a more modern 42mm nutwidth, but the US has the vintage 44.5mm nutwidth, which is kinda wide if you have small hands, but nothing to be worried about.

Edited by MrFingers

I recently purcahsaed a CIJ 62 reissue Precision Fretless from Old Horse Murphy (Nick). I am very happy with it. The build quality is certianly on a par with my USA precisions. The only thing that I don't understand is why the 62 Japanese reissues aren't fitted with vintage reverse tuners and threaded saddle bridges.

[quote name='MrFingers' timestamp='1340611418' post='1706804']
I can confirm what Gary says: Fender Japan makes some of the best, if not THE best instruments that money can buy at this moment. Price/quality is unbeatable. As for the '62, you have 2 different version, the PB-62 and the PB-62US. While identical from woodwork, the US has the correct reverse tuners, a real tortoise pickguard and American electronics (CTS pots, AVRI62 pickup), while the standard PB-62 has generic "Japanese" tuners (those reverse tuners are also japanese, but you get the point), and cheaper electronics (alpha pots, standard pickup).

As a first P, it's very good, as you'll have an amazing instrument, but... The necks are kinda huge, as they are vintage spec'd. The PB-62 has a more modern 42mm nutwidth, but the US has the vintage 44.5mm nutwidth, which is kinda wide if you have small hands, but nothing to be worried about.
[/quote]

Correct me if I am wrong, but I also believe the PB-xxUS models are meant to be 'non-export' models as they are in competition with the US built equivalents. I have a non-export CIJ 70's reissue and it is every bit as good as the US £1000+ equivalent. I imported mine when the prices were good at a massive saving vs buying US.

The PB-70US has a skinny neck, really close to a Jazz neck and that's another reason why I love it. I have a build diary featuring my P bass if anyone wants to see what it looks like.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1340612140' post='1706811']
Correct me if I am wrong, but I also believe the PB-xxUS models are meant to be 'non-export' models as they are in competition with the US built equivalents. I have a non-export CIJ 70's reissue and it is every bit as good as the US £1000+ equivalent. I imported mine when the prices were good at a massive saving vs buying US.

The PB-70US has a skinny neck, really close to a Jazz neck and that's another reason why I love it. I have a build diary featuring my P bass if anyone wants to see what it looks like.
[/quote]

Thanks for this post Dan. It maybe clears up some confusion. I was told that if the body of the bass was alder it was the US version and if the body was basswood then it was Japanese. My precision is alder but it has non vintage tuners and bridge. However, Nick told me that he had imported the bass from Japan so things now start to make sense as the quality of my bass is superb. There just doesn't seem to be definitive answers when it comes to the Japanese versions.

I`ve had a couple of MIJ Fenders, though neither were 62 Reissues. The neck and playability on each was fantastic. MIJ are definitely worth the purchase. Electrics/pickups can be a bit weak, but these can easily be dealt with, and then you have a cracking instrument.

[quote name='MrFingers' timestamp='1340611418' post='1706804']
As for the '62, you have 2 different version, the PB-62 and the PB-62US. While identical from woodwork, the US has the correct reverse tuners, a real tortoise pickguard and American electronics (CTS pots, AVRI62 pickup), while the standard PB-62 has generic "Japanese" tuners (those reverse tuners are also japanese, but you get the point), and cheaper electronics (alpha pots, standard pickup).

[/quote]

No, not correct. There are far more than 2 versions. The simple PB 62 has na basswood body (don't get confused, they are good) and the genuine fender Japan PU's, small base plate for tghe tuners. Then there is the PB 62 US, some animal, but with US-Pickups. Then there is the PB 62 - 70 and the PB 62 84 US, alder bodys, US pickups 70ies style big plate tuners, and then there ist the PB 62 -100 DMC/VSP, alder, DiMarzio Collection PUs, nitrocellulose laquer, reverse tuners.

All these have a nutwidth of 42mm. Besides this they also have a 70ies style a neck precision (40,5mm nut), the PB 70-70 US and 70-85US and the PB ST, being the cheapest, basswod and an overall differnt neck with satibn finisch. And there are all kind of crossover models, since the changed the specs more than once since they started making these in the 80ies.

To get an overview you can check fender Japan or the Ishibashi Music page.

[url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/eng/"]http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/eng/[/url]
[url="http://fenderjapan.co.jp/"]http://fenderjapan.co.jp/[/url]

btw, the US Pickups are not made in the US, but are the ones for the export models wound after specs by Fender US.

I do have several Fender Japan basses and like them a lot. They resonate very well and are usually lightweight.

Edited by cellkirk74

MInes a 1990 MIJ '62 RI - it has the super-wide nut width, but the neck seems shallower to make up for it so it doesn't bother me. The finish is more hardwearing than nitro so apart from a few very monor dents it hasn't picked up any mojo. The tuners are a weird choice - they're not the small plate ones on later 'for-export' RIs like on the CIJ mustang and they're not the 50s/early 60s vintage reverse type, but they are the same shape as the 70s type non-reverse ones on my '81 USA precision but nickel plated instead of chrome. The torty pickguard is a bit fugly I'd fancy swapping it for a more authentic US one, but I'm wary of ordering one as the tory pattern varies so much even on those, so buying sight-unseen is a gamble.