Why become a member? ×

Arsebiscuits - accidental damage

Gust0o

So, knowing my bandmates as I do, I always carry a spare kettle lead - because you never know when one divvy, or another, will attempt to power his amp up without one.

Thus it was this week, dishing out the spare lead.

Three hours later, I left the lads finishing packing whilst I went off to settle the rehearsal bill. As I walk back in:

"I put your lead in your bag, chief".

Smashing. Mono bulging, I got the gear in the car and shot off home... only to find, on unpacking, that I couldn't find the lead. He said he'd put in the bag; the front pocket was pretty full, but... nah, he wouldn't. Would he?

He had. He'd chucked it into the bass compartment: where, as per sod's law, the plug had wedged itself - metal prongs torturing soft maple - underneath the f***ing neck. What a twat of a turnout, grinding out three shallow scrapes in an otherwise pristine neck. Bollocks.

My fault, I should have checked, but for f***'s sake. Thankfully, the bass is a keeper - whilst I made my apologies to her, I did note that I wouldn't notice after 30 years of wear, but I don't think she understood :lol:

This has got to be the most pointless bit of damage I've ever done to my kit. Still, to make myself better I put a kneecap through his danglies in the pub the other night. All's fair in love and bandmates.

So, cheer me up - tell me I'm being soft; you've done worse; etc, etc, as I've got a tough recrimination streak :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1340544387' post='1705849']
So, cheer me up - tell me I'm being soft; you've done worse; etc, etc, as I've got a tough recrimination streak :)[/quote]

Oh yes, it could be much, much worse - you could be hanging upside down in total darkness in a prison in Syria with electrodes attached to your balls.

Edit: Yes, you're being soft. ;)

Edited by discreet

Not mine but I remeber talking to some super rock god dudes at a show and these guys were the coolest cats in town ever! (only by their own reckoning I must add) the one guy had a Gibson Les Paul that had been repaired and he was showing us the joint where it was still visible (crap quality repair I know) when I asked him how this damage occured I waited with baited breath for the story about how it was on the bed as he romped with numerous virgins or how Slash knocked it off a PA cab it was resting on as they took turns to snort coke off it......"me mom knocked it off the stand doing the hoovering" :lol:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1340544778' post='1705860']
Oh yes, it could be much, much worse - you could be hanging upside down in total darkness in a prison in Syria with electrodes attached to your balls.

Edit: Yes, you're being soft. ;)
[/quote]

That sounds like quite the nightclub :)

Good, good. I think I'm being amazingly precious, just need confirmation!

Nothing beats someone's mam with a hoover though :lol:

If the wood is dented in rather than scraped out, it might be possible to raise the dents using heat and moisture. I've watched my brother (a guitar builder) raise similar dents using a bit of wet cloth over them, heating quickly with a hot soldering iron, to the point where they were barely visible. A bit nerve-racking though!

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1340545299' post='1705879']
If the wood is dented in rather than scraped out, it might be possible to raise the dents using heat and moisture. I've watched my brother (a guitar builder) raise similar dents using a bit of wet cloth over them, heating quickly with a hot soldering iron, to the point where they were barely visible. A bit nerve-racking though!
[/quote]

They are indeed just scrapes. I'd been considering having Jon slim the neck, so was figuring they'd go at some point - either through me fiddling, or just the wear of ages. But that's a good idea!

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1340545346' post='1705882']
I hope you did knee him in the danglies.
What numpty puts a plug in the same bag as an expensive instrument?
[/quote]

A guitarist who plays Epiphones. It was quite a knee. Not so much [i]in [/i]as [i]through[/i] the danglies. He dropped his cider, which produced something akin to a piss stain. A small measure of revenge.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1340545299' post='1705879']
If the wood is dented in rather than scraped out, it might be possible to raise the dents using heat and moisture.[/quote]

This seems very possible, looking at the pic. It does work.

The way I've seen it done is with a soldering iron, so hot enough for the water to steam but very localised. Sort of like this:
[url="http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Finish/SteamOut/steamout1.html"]http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Finish/SteamOut/steamout1.html[/url]

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1340546721' post='1705920']
Saying that, on small dings I've just locally soaked the wood, it expands and raises the dent out. Once dry, you would need to sand level and finish. I've done his on bodies I've finished.
[/quote]

That was a trick I learnt on the Shuker course. Brilliant suggestion, people. Back in an hour! Should take me about that long to find my soldering iron in the shed, mind...

Just to note, all done!

There's still a trace of the damage, like someone has run a fingernail heavily across the lacquer - but it's pretty much unnoticeable when playing. I used wirewool to smooth the area down after applying the heat/water/steam, and I've allowed it to settle before oiling and polishing. Hopefully all for the good now!

Thanks for the great advice, phew!

An aquaintance of mine had an EB3 which he knocked over. It fell off the stage and the headstock snapped off, so he glued it back together with Araldite. He was asked if it was a solid joint and he said yes - watch - and banged the headstock on the floor. It snapped again - in a different place!

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1340620357' post='1706981']
An aquaintance of mine had an EB3 which he knocked over. It fell off the stage and the headstock snapped off, so he glued it back together with Araldite. He was asked if it was a solid joint and he said yes - watch - and banged the headstock on the floor. It snapped again - in a different place!
[/quote]

f***ing hell, that's brilliant and tragic! :lol: