Why become a member? ×

Hi from Sussex

Grim13

Hi All,

Sorry not to introduce myself properly before posting a couple of replies.

I'm 47, been practicing every day for 9 months and I am about to start taking lessons. I want to get to a standard where I can play with other people without wasting their time or embarrassing myself. Nothing too serious, just something to give me an incentive to keep improving. Ideally, playing new stuff and on a regular basis. Rock, rock n roll, blues rock etc.

I've been playing my way through exercise books at home, alone with my drum machine, as well as using TAB sites to learn parts of my favorite songs. Hopefully my new teacher will be able to help me make more of my practice time.

This site has already provided me with tons of help. It seems very friendly.

Any advice to a newbie like me who is just starting out at 47 would be welcome; I'm sure there must be plenty of others like me on here. Just having a jam occasionally would be great as I've never played with anyone else.

Bye for now!

Welcome Mr Grim!
Are you one of the brothers?

A lot of us on here will strongly advise you to start playing with other people. Nothing, repeat, nothing will bring you on as a musician faster than playing with other people. Apart from that, it can be just about the best fun you can have with your clothes on.
Whatever your perceived standard of yourself, you will be able to find others to play with.
There are a few Basschatters in Sussex, I'm sure they'll be in touch one way or another.

Enjoy!

Len

Hi Grim13,

Welcome to BC! Yes, there's lots like you on here, only most of them are grown ups (48 and over). The advice will flow your way alright. Enough topics to read, enough old stuff to do searches in, and you can just ask a question and it will be answered before you've even thought through how exactly to word it.

Good luck on your quest. Enjoy!

Hi Grim and welcome. I'm very much in the same category as you for bass playing but if applying Bert's ideas, I'm pleased to report I'm not yet a grown up. I can keep enjoying Chorlton &The Wheelies, Ren & Stimpy, The Goonies and other childish things with reckless abandon . Nice one!

[quote name='Grim13' timestamp='1340217897' post='1701319']
I've been playing my way through exercise books at home, alone with my drum machine[/quote]

That's an idea I never had. How do you feel this works? Satisfied?
Do you program the thing, or just use built-in meters?

Thanks for your replies! Quite a few South Coasters I see....

BT, I program a simple DM1 app on ipad and play it through my amp. I use the CD that usually comes with the book to get the drum track, then copy the tricky bits and set them as a loop, so I go over and over the hard parts and don't have to keep starting the CD again when I mess up.

I usually modify the examples in the book, they are mostly only a few notes in difference from 'proper' tunes.

It's good practically, and you do get that sweet spot from the kick drum and bass together, which is much better than using the bass alone, but I doubt it's the same as playing with other people. We'll see...

Deb, I'm like you. I've no intention of growing up. Our generation probably never will!

• 4 weeks later...