Why become a member? ×

Fane Speakers for Bass Guitar

Count Bassie

I got 4 x 15s of a guy in bradford (DC Boulton think?), he said that he got a load of old fane chassis when the factory went bust, around 84/5 ish, and put them in two HH 2x15 ported cabs, they were 8 ohm 100 watt speakers, and sounded great, punchy, decent low end etc, even though only powered by a 50 watt marshall valve amp, played many a pub back room with no PA support, them were the days!!

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1339687811' post='1692753']
I used to love the old pop 50s. The best 12" around at the time, that I could afford anyway.
[/quote]Happy Days! :)
[quote name='Count Bassie' timestamp='1339705483' post='1693198']
A remark made about the 300 from Phil:

Can you elaborate just a bit here?
[/quote]

Yes, most speakers are pretty limited in the bass, lack of excursion means they run out of steam and compress the bass. In addition small magnets and high Vas mean that the speakers need to be built into a box which is too big to move. Most commercial low-mid price speakers are built into boxes which are too small as a result. This creates a peak in output at about an octave above the fundamental frequency of the first five frets of a 4 string (ish) often about 3dB. The bass then rolls off pretty quickly below this so bottom E (41Hz) can easily be 18dB down from the average output.

The peak creates a nice warm fuzzy mush and the bass seems very loud to us as we can hear bass quite well at this point. This is the sound you kind of expect to hear from a bass cab and most of the old school 4x10's give this sound. Using any speaker with low Q in a correctly sized cab sounds different as without the peak all the fuzzy warmth disappears and real deep bass emerges. You hear more of the fundamental and less second harmonic. Our hearing isn't very good at these really low frequencies so the whole experience seems different. I've spent years designing hi fi speakers so to me (and Lawrence from his build thread) it sounds 'right' and 'clean' but you might well miss the warmth so I'm warning you just in case.

It's the difference between the sound through a decent PA or good headphones and the sound through an average combo. Listen to your bass through headphones to see if it is the sound for you.
[quote name='Count Bassie' timestamp='1339706648' post='1693238']
That cab is divided into two, down the center. So I'd be routing a hole in it, I imagine. One thought was to build an enclosure for an amplifier into the cab, making it a combo. It could become pretty Borg-ish if I let this run into the ether very far! So I'm just riffing now... I'll go throw it around and come back. Thanks again all, much appreciation for your help!
[/quote]

You need to run winisd, but if the partition is airtight I suspect two 300's would go into a single compartment or one 125 into each. Putting two 125's into one side would give you the bass peak/ early roll off of an undersized cab so you can mess around to see which sound you prefer. Oh when entering the data into Win ISD you'll find some of the specs are wrong on the data sheet and winisd's auto calculate will tick you off. Use the help and enter the parameters in the order WinISD instructs you and you will get the correct values calculated. It's just about different ways of measuring parameters. Oh, the program will let you run mutiple projects but puts all the results onto a single graph so you can compare different cabs on the same graph.

Have fun.

Edited by Phil Starr

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Say Phil... if you're in 'ear-shot' of this thread still; I was going to model in WinSID Alpha and come up with port sizes to fill two of the 4 speaker/baffle holes. Would you port or do sealed? I'm thinking a 2x10 still...

I'm actually getting ready to move on this now!

Edited by Count Bassie

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1350569888' post='1840645']
I have a hand made cab i pick up from a fellow on here. It has an 18" Fane Classic 200watts at 8ohms. Its from the 80's. Forget the figures, it is LOUD and has an excellent sound.
[/quote]

That's encouraging! Also I've just heard from a Fane rep after contacting them, and the prices are pretty encouraging as well... so I shall return...

Hey one more question, if I can tax you guys again: My amp is now an SWR SM-400s, and it runs around 400w @ 8 ohms, more at 4 ohms... I'm afraid of slamming too hard into a pair of 10-125s. Now maybe this is a bit of an obvious question, but would you rather go for the 10-300s?...

I'd forgotten this thread. First of all yes i would definitely port the cab.

Your amp will overload the 125's but this is more due to over excursion than the thermal load. Having said that they suit your cab a little better. In practice it depends upon how you use them. I've used two with a 600W amp but I tend to leave the bass flat or even cut a little and I don't play in a very loud band. I can drown out the drummer and so it is plenty loud enough for me. If you use a lot of bass boost or are heavy on the volume there is a small risk. How easy would it be to get replacements?

If you wnt to be idiot proof the 300's take you well beyond the thermal limits and with the extra air in your cab the speakers are less likely to go beyond the excursion limits. They are going to have an extended bass with a slow roll off in this cab so they might be a bit 'polite' sounding though the bass will be clean and deep.

If it helps I've been gigging a lot with the 300's in a 2x10 but I'm swapping them out for the 125's to get a little more character. The 300's are cleaner and will be going into a pair of wedges.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1352413647' post='1862882']
I'd forgotten this thread. First of all yes i would definitely port the cab.[/quote]

There's the original plan; I've got inserts cut to plug two of the baffle holes and will turn them into ports...

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1352413647' post='1862882']Your amp will overload the 125's but this is more due to over excursion than the thermal load. Having said that they suit your cab a little better. In practice it depends upon how you use them. I've used two with a 600W amp but I tend to leave the bass flat or even cut a little and I don't play in a very loud band. I can drown out the drummer and so it is plenty loud enough for me. If you use a lot of bass boost or are heavy on the volume there is a small risk. How easy would it be to get replacements?[/quote]

Replacements are pretty easy, and the Fanes are [i]quite cheap[/i] over here. Don't want to say that too loud...

I'll probably run at the 10-125s and see what they're like. For what I'll be using it for I don't think I'll need to worry much. Also I had a bad groove on blowing speakers a few years back, and have since learned (after 30 years of playing, heh) that bass guitar isn't really a "bass instrument" per se anyway- it's more mids-friendly, and fools the ear into hearing "bass"- so I don't have to be King Tubby to get it on in the rhythm section! But you knew that.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1352413647' post='1862882']If you wnt to be idiot proof the 300's take you well beyond the thermal limits and with the extra air in your cab the speakers are less likely to go beyond the excursion limits. They are going to have an extended bass with a slow roll off in this cab so they might be a bit 'polite' sounding though the bass will be clean and deep.

If it helps I've been gigging a lot with the 300's in a 2x10 but I'm swapping them out for the 125's to get a little more character. The 300's are cleaner and will be going into a pair of wedges.
[/quote]

Thanks for looking back in Phil! I will post pix and some notes when I have it set up and making some noise.

Well I've gotten derailed for a minute... (lol) I have an old Polytone 212-300 "Custom Bass Amp" combo amp; 180 watts, 2x12. The 12s are CTS speakers from 1974- the vintage of the amp- and they're a tad fragile I think to be bass speakers. So I'm going to try a pair of Fanes in there, and see how she rolls.

The amp's controls are dead-simple: Bass/treble/Volume, 2 channels of each, each channel with a choice of 2 input jacks with a difference in sensitivity (I think that's the difference- they do sound different anyway). The sound out of this old thing is sweet and plump, not powerful so much as fat and tone-ful... great for R&B vibe, it's low-impact and well-spoken. My Squier Franken-P-Bass sounds very nice with the Thomastik flats on it... mo' as this and other stories develop...

Edited by Count Bassie

• 1 month later...

I am, still, all lack of evidence pointing to the contrary aside, on a path to completion of this project. Updates pending, probably after recovery from this bottle of inexpensive red wine, and after the order has been placed for the speakers from the US Fane sales representative...

• 3 years later...

Hey thought I'd bring this old topic back since I've pretty well finished my 210 cab project this thread was originally about.

I loaded it with some old Eminence drivers I had laying around, neos from an Avatar 210. Had them reconed, and I've been playing out with it. Did a reggae gig last night, and it did a nice job. Full, big and deep, good snap up top. She's being a good little tank.

Now if I can figure how to post a photo here from my little phone I'll put it up here...