Why become a member? ×

dent to fender precision body

vinbob

Hi guys,

Just bought my new fender precision bass which i love, and within about an hour of having it a drill fell from nowhere and has put a dent in it, its about 3 or 4mm long and a 1.5mm deep but i think it may have just cracked the paintwork slighty. Its a dark 3 tone sunburst.
Any advice on how to fix the dent to make it look brand new or just to prevent it getting any worse.

Any help would be grateful

thanks

That's why I never buy anthing new if I can help it because it never stays new for long. As Andy says it gives it character and really won't reduce the value by that much. Of course if you're planning on keeping it then it's not too much of an issue.

These new fangled factory finishes are notoriously hard to repair. Polyurethane innit. Impossible to repair 'invisibly' and you are right that the area will most likely flake off as the wood beneath is no longer protected. Doom and gloom. On the upside, it's unlikely that any shiny finish stays ding free for very long. Just ignore it. You'll notice it less as the dings increase and eventually it'll look as all precisions should look, 40 years old.

Good afternoon, vinbob...

A dab of clear nail varnish should seal up any chipped paintwork, and (slightly...) fill the dent..?). I agree with the 'character' remarks, too.
(...and wear a hard hat if drills keep falling from 'nowhere..?)
Hope this helps.

I've seen similar fixed; watched it once, with the hole being filled with wax crayon of a colour to match & then sealed with a tiny blob of superglue then rubbed back flush with Duraglit (Brasso wad).
It's not as solid as the original finish & I wouldn't dare try it myself on anything that mattered, that's your call.

I know how you feel though; my custom bass has only one small dint - it's the shape of the tip of a jack when I was careless for a couple of seconds when I unplugged once & chucked the lead too close to it.