Why become a member? ×

G&l Gumtree scam

http://m.gumtree.com/g-l-l2000-tribute-bass/v?adId=102937007#Bass

This is a confirmed scam.
Please take my word for it and stay well clear.
More details to follow as I'm very busy tonight.
Poster "Alexa Connell" is bogus and asks prospective buyers to send a photo of a ukash receipt. It's a well established con but this is the first time I've seen a bass being used for this purpose.
Joe

I replyed to this, he/she said they would send the bass from his works via parcel force and collect the cash once inspected.
too good to be true.!
then i got an email stating i should go to a paypoint and pay to a givin ad number then he will send the bass !!!
even sending me a bogus parcel force receipt saying it had been cleared ready for collection, !
I told gumtree right away this was a scam and its still there, they are so annoyingly SLOW

There was another on there for a 70s black fender jazz for 500 with a mobile number,
i have never talked to a more horrid rude guy ever the address given to collect once i said i could collect with cash,
was not his, he just cut me off once i asked about having a land line to contact him on or a work number.

Alot of the cons pick a remote part of the uk usually on a coast so then most of the uk would want it posting and so you loose you cash through paypall or even paypoint, remember the wal scam in the Shetland islands !!

MORAL.. unless they give you AT LEAST a land line you can get them on and/or a valid HOME email ad to link to an address (not a google or other on line address), dont bother ! Genuine people would not mind

also google the mobile number and address given, i have done this and found a few guys just con men trying to get my dax cobra i have for sale, BUGGERS

I can't get the link to work, either from home or from work. Anyone else having trouble?
[quote name='captain black' timestamp='1338929640' post='1681376']
[url="http://m.gumtree.com/g-l-l2000-tribute-bass/v?adId=102937007#Bass"]http://m.gumtree.com...=102937007#Bass[/url]

This is a confirmed scam.
Please take my word for it and stay well clear.
More details to follow as I'm very busy tonight.
Poster "Alexa Connell" is bogus and asks prospective buyers to send a photo of a ukash receipt. It's a well established con but this is the first time I've seen a bass being used for this purpose.
Joe
[/quote]

The first rule of being a conman is to offer something that is too good to be true. Greed and stupidity are the qualities that a conman appeals to in a mark. If something seems too good to be true it probably is. So always proceed with caution.

If you think you'll get a £600 bass for £140 you deserve to be conned.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1338992524' post='1682084']
If you think you'll get a £600 bass for £140 you deserve to be conned.
[/quote]

Think thas a bit cynical though. No one deserves to get conned. Speaking as one who bought a spector euro 5 for a little over 200 quid last year, there are still bargains to be had out there. You just have to tread carefully.

[quote name='captain black' timestamp='1339001352' post='1682266']
Think thas a bit cynical though. No one deserves to get conned. Speaking as one who bought a spector euro 5 for a little over 200 quid last year, there are still bargains to be had out there. You just have to tread carefully.
[/quote]

Conmen appeal to the greed in us all. I have a friend who was recently conned out of £20,000. He went into a deal with a property developer where he was guaranteed a return of 25% within 18 months. When he told me about it I told him that it sounded like the person he was loaning the money to was obviously desperate and he was unlikely to see his money ever again. Guess what? The woman (who never had any intention of paying the money back) declared herself bankrupt and he will get nothing back. He was lured by the promise of easy money and got burnt and I find it very difficult to have sympathy for him as he was both greedy and stupid (and he would be the first to admit it).

Edit : of course sometimes the 'conned' party hasn't been greedy or stupid and has just been swindled by a criminal slimeball. In which case they don't deserve the grief they suffer. There are predatory lowlifes out there who see gumtree and ebay as just another opportunity to steal peoples money and their victims are in no way to blame for being preyed upon.

Edited by gjones

Wow so glad i read this. I was so close to considering buying a 70's Fender black jazz for £500 in Penzance, which is about a 90min drive for me. I emailed the guy who sent me more pics and offered postage rather than driving. I felt this is too good to be true and trusted my gut feeling...i did not maintain communication and bought a jazz of here instead which i now own proudly. Maybe i had a close miss...phew!