Why become a member? ×

Wiring/soldering pickups

chrismuzz

OK, so I haven't played the 6 string properly in quite a while... Picked it up the other day and it just didn't feel as 'right' as my 4 and 5 strings with the stock Peavey pickups in!

I'm considering putting the stock ones back in to see if I prefer them, however last time I took it to a tech it cost me £30. A fair price, but if I decide I don't like them I'm gonna have to shell out again. I'm considering just getting a soldering iron and trying it myself this time. I've never soldered anything in my life though, so I'm just wondering what the likelihood of me destroying my bass is :D

As the kind of guy who does this work for other people I might be a wee bit biased in suggesting that if you are not sure about it then it probably is best to give it to someone else to do.... this is your bass we are talking about after all.
If you think you'd like a go anyway, why not practice on something else first - maybe a busted pedal or something.

There are a few tut vids on yt which show the basics.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1338423198' post='1674516']
As the kind of guy who does this work for other people I might be a wee bit biased in suggesting that if you are not sure about it then it probably is best to give it to someone else to do.... this is your bass we are talking about after all.
If you think you'd like a go anyway, why not practice on something else first - maybe a busted pedal or something.

There are a few tut vids on yt which show the basics.
[/quote]

what he says

Soldering can be a bit tricky, but in terms of pickups, its straight forward. Why not grab a beginners project kit from a Maplin shop, if you can do that, then I think you should be more confident of doing the pickups, had some practice and saved some money and learnt a new skill.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1338551455' post='1676173']
Make sure you get some proper solder and none of this crap lead-free stuff.
[/quote]

You need this stuff the 60/40 lead and tin stuff in the RED reels.

NEVER the GREEN reels

[quote name='Supersamtheman' timestamp='1338583062' post='1676926']
Sorry to slightly derail the thread but @Twigman what is wrong with the green reel solder? I have used that in the past with seemingly no issues but am I missing something?

Thanks
[/quote]
it's lead free - it needs too much heat, the joints don't stick as well - I've had joints fail with the lead free.
Try the leaded red reel 60/40 stuff and you will notice the difference

One tip is to make a detailed sketch of what wires go to where. Even take photos if you can. If you have that information then as long as you don't destroy anything, then anything you do should be easily reversible.

+1 for the leaded solder. I can't stand the lead free stuff, except for mending jewellery.