Why become a member? ×

Question which is annoying me!

woodyratm

Hey guys,
Hoping for some advise here.

A few years ago, I loaned a PA to some mates to practice with. It was actually my mums PA but she OK'd it on the condition it came back.

Well I have pretty much stopped talking to these guys now, and now my mums after the equipment back.,
Downside is that the guys have said that PA was destroyed due to damp. This I didn't know - I thought they'd be covering all the equipment up generally. I spoke to them a few years back and asked for it for her then (2008/9?) and got no reply. I asked the bass player when I last saw him (maybe a year ago?) if I could get it back. He had said it wouldnt be an issue and he'd get in touch. No reply.

It seems I'm now in the middle which is somewhere I'd rather not be.

It was a fairly powerful Peavey one (with speakers etc)

Anyone got any advise to what I can do? Since I'm now getting Facebook messages about it (when it has nothing to do with me!)

Cheers

Possibly a bit soon to go legal.

I'd insist it is returned whatever condition it is in - damp is not going to totally destroy a PA system. Not going to be easy thought if you haven't been in touch with the borrowers for years.

[i]"Anyone got any advise to what I can do? Since I'm now getting Facebook messages about it (when it has nothing to do with me!)[/i]"

That's not strictly true, is it, if you were the one who facilitated the loan?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1338380002' post='1673522']
Possibly a bit soon to go legal.

I'd insist it is returned whatever condition it is in - damp is not going to totally destroy a PA system. Not going to be easy thought if you haven't been in touch with the borrowers for years.

[i]"Anyone got any advise to what I can do? Since I'm now getting Facebook messages about it (when it has nothing to do with me!)[/i]"

That's not strictly true, is it, if you were the one who facilitated the loan?
[/quote]

Well they knew at the time It wasn't my equipment (My mum and step dad used to run a disco thingy) - They asked me, I asked her. So thats as far as my involvement went as far as I can tell.

I hadn't thought damp alone would totally kill it..

Do you know where they live? Go and visit 'em. It's easy to ignore/fend off communication at distance, it's not so easy when it's face to face. If you think there will be aggro/contentious things said and want some reassurance/witnesses, take someone along with you.

be straight with your mum on whats happened. She may be mad at you at first but theres nothing more vicious some ones mum coming after you. Also if you have FB messages or texts then keep them. If it does go to court then you have proof that you tried to get it back.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1338380749' post='1673541']
Do you know where they live? Go and visit 'em. It's easy to ignore/fend off communication at distance, it's not so easy when it's face to face. If you think there will be aggro/contentious things said and want some reassurance/witnesses, take someone along with you.
[/quote]

yeah.. The one who asked to borrow - lives right across the road from my mum. She's already went over (since she's the one now wanting it) and the guy got grumpy. I then got a facebook mail - she went over again 2 days to chase up, I got a facebook message.

I've now replied saying its not me he should be dealing with. Since I pretty much know nowt :(

[quote name='El Bajo' timestamp='1338380837' post='1673545']
be straight with your mum on whats happened. She may be mad at you at first but theres nothing more vicious some ones mum coming after you. Also if you have FB messages or texts then keep them. If it does go to court then you have proof that you tried to get it back.
[/quote]

I tried to get it back from an old work email and whilst out. So no evidence :/

Also - she knows whats happened - totally in the loop.

Edited by woodyratm

[quote name='RFH' timestamp='1338381269' post='1673554']
I think having a mom with a PA is pretty cool.
[/quote]

At first. Then crap like this happens.

I'm trying to get her to write it off, I can't be arsed with drama. Does nothing for my depression :(

[quote name='RFH' timestamp='1338381269' post='1673554']
I think having a mom with a PA is pretty cool.
[/quote]

Indeed!

to be honest if this was me i'd have bought my mum a replacement by now! You don't really think you don't have anything to do with it? Even if you didn't realise it at the time, you kind of assured your mum it would be fine, which IMHO makes it your responsibility. Sorry!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1338381569' post='1673559']
Indeed!

to be honest if this was me i'd have bought my mum a replacement by now! You don't really think you don't have anything to do with it? Even if you didn't realise it at the time, you kind of assured your mum it would be fine, which IMHO makes it your responsibility. Sorry!
[/quote]

Ah feck. You're right.

Well I'm trying to persuade her to let it go.

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1338381485' post='1673558']
I'm trying to get her to write it off, I can't be arsed with drama. Does nothing for my depression :(
[/quote]

Hmm...but being a carpet is rather self-reinforcing, no? Was from my experience, anyway.

Look, it needs sorting. Keep tabs on the messages, but you handed it over to their care - that's the basic premise - and now want it's return.

You ask, ignoring any hassle, and will get two outcomes - yes, [i]and here it is[/i]; or no. If yes, whoop; if yes but needs some repair... well, ask if they'll cover, but chalk up as experience; if no, small claims and go for the *****.

You're a bit far away for me to go door knocking with you (also, I'm a total twat for an argument), but someone else here might.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1338381824' post='1673567']
Hmm...but being a carpet is rather self-reinforcing, no? Was from my experience, anyway.

Look, it needs sorting. Keep tabs on the messages, but you handed it over to their care - that's the basic premise - and now want it's return.

You ask, ignoring any hassle, and will get two outcomes - yes, [i]and here it is[/i]; or no. If yes, whoop; if yes but needs some repair... well, ask if they'll cover, but chalk up as experience; if no, small claims and go for the *****.

You're a bit far away for me to go door knocking with you (also, I'm a total twat for an argument), but someone else here might.
[/quote]

Hah this is why I love this forum.

I just had a gander at the first message he sent (i pretty muych hadnt read correctly) - Looks like they chucked the stuff out. So they dont even have it now.

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1338379484' post='1673512']
Hey guys,
Hoping for some advise here.

A few years ago, I loaned a PA to some mates to practice with. It was actually my mums PA but she OK'd it on the condition it came back.

Well I have pretty much stopped talking to these guys now, and now my mums after the equipment back.,
Downside is that the guys have said that PA was destroyed due to damp. This I didn't know - I thought they'd be covering all the equipment up generally. I spoke to them a few years back and asked for it for her then (2008/9?) and got no reply. I asked the bass player when I last saw him (maybe a year ago?) if I could get it back. He had said it wouldnt be an issue and he'd get in touch. No reply.

It seems I'm now in the middle which is somewhere I'd rather not be.

It was a fairly powerful Peavey one (with speakers etc)

Anyone got any advise to what I can do? Since I'm now getting Facebook messages about it (when it has nothing to do with me!)

Cheers
[/quote]

Seems to me you are in the middle because you brokered the deal. IMO you have responsibility for the return of the gear in the condition it was lent. You've been shafted by some dishonourable c**nts but it doesn't mean you can absolve yourself from responsibility.

If the c**nts are refusing to play ball what are you going to do? They might have sold it, and they might still be skint. You are not going to get your PA or your money from what I can see, so I think you are going to have to accept responsibility and try to squash it with your mum.

Not an enviable position to be in, and I sympathise. I had a 'friend' when I was 18 who ended up taking advantage of my trust and stole a whole load of sh*t from me. He totally faced me out and threatened retribution from his new mates if I tried chasing him up for my sh*t. Luckily he only stole my stuff. To this day I don't trust Scottish people.

Just kidding on that last sentence ;)

I'd rather just chalk it up to experience.

But because of how rude he was to her, she's wanting to fight it. He slammed the door across her hand etc.

I just can't be bothered. This does nothing for my mentallity.

I hate people (except basschat of course!)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1338383821' post='1673619']
he slammed the door on her hand?!? That's your mum! I would suggest several courses of action but this is a public section of the forum
[/quote]

No comment. That part is being dealt with shortly.

Edited by woodyratm

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1338383727' post='1673617']
But because of how rude he was to her, she's wanting to fight it. He slammed the door across her hand etc.
[/quote]

Oof. No, don't take me along to deal with this one.

Can someone say what I want to say, please; I won't say it, as it'll get my goat :angry:

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1338384207' post='1673629']
Oof. No, don't take me along to deal with this one.

Can someone say what I want to say, please; I won't say it, as it'll get my goat :angry:
[/quote]

Quiche

You're welcome

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1338383821' post='1673619']
he slammed the door on her hand?!? That's your mum! I would suggest several courses of action but this is a public section of the forum
[/quote]
Yep, that's where honour takes over. Despite my extreme distaste of revenge, I think I would have to design a punishment containing a long lasting lesson.